Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times

Advertisements

rosetta stone is basically a very expensive flash card program. there are tons of free things on the web that are basically the same. there are way quicker, more complete ways to learn a foreign language. RS has advertised alot, put their name out there and got celebrity endorsements so it's known but amongst serious language learners, many of them polyglots, RS has a very poor reputation.

try assimil, pimsleur, michael thomas, or perhaps fluenz. Live mocha is out there and there are other sites like that. Any google search will help you. Also skype can be used to talk to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
Rosetta Stone is visual, but it's not overly practical. It's also expensive and doesn't use English, preferring immersion.

What is your time frame and how much time a day do you have to devote to learning? What is your budget? Do you want to have the program use English or not?

If you have some time to learn the language, I would try something called Destinos which is at Resource: Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish

It's a series of videos that teaches through immersion. It is older, but I'm using the French version and find it helpful as you get to see people speak at a normal pace and in every day situations.

Fleunz is a good software program from the demo I tried, but it uses English for translation.

You might also want to try Language Learning with Livemocha | Learn a Language Online - Free! as it has similar principles as Rosetta Stone, but is free. I heard there were some errors in it, but you do get to record yourself speaking the language and get feedback from native speakers.

You could also try one of the cheap programs in stores like Staples or Office Max. You won't learn much of the language, but you might be marginally functional.

Even though you don't feel you need to learn grammar or writing, I've found it's easier to synthesize things when you have an idea of what things mean and how to communicate to others in a written form.

Finally, even though you are strongly visual, I've found Pimsleur to be great in terms of keeping phrases in my mind. You can try them at Foreign Language Learning Programs from Pimsleur - Official Website.

I hope this helps!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM

196 posts, read 776,810 times
Thanks for the recommendations!
I am moving after Christmas, I still have some time.
I can set aside 1 hr or so a day to learn. Rosetta Stone is above my budget.
I have heard good reviews about Pimsleur.
I just registered with Livemocha.
Thanks again!

Oh another question:
I browsed Amazon for Assimil, and it states that it is in Castillian pronunciation. How different is it from the Spanish spoken in Central America?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
It's not that different as far as I know. Castilian Spanish pronounces "z" and "c" as "th" instead of as a "s". You might want to google it to get more information.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
rosetta stone is basically a very expensive flash card program. there are tons of free things on the web that are basically the same. there are way quicker, more complete ways to learn a foreign language. RS has advertised alot, put their name out there and got celebrity endorsements so it's known but amongst serious language learners, many of them polyglots, RS has a very poor reputation.

try assimil, pimsleur, michael thomas, or perhaps fluenz. Live mocha is out there and there are other sites like that. Any google search will help you. Also skype can be used to talk to others.
Sorry for bringing back this old thread but I want to make a meaningful contribution to this thread.

What you're suggesting here, are they websites or software? I am asking because I don't recognize any of those that you listed. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Sorry for bringing back this old thread
Don't be!
I hadn't seen it before but it is awesome.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
Thanks for the recommendations!
I am moving after Christmas, I still have some time.
I can set aside 1 hr or so a day to learn. Rosetta Stone is above my budget.
I have heard good reviews about Pimsleur.
I just registered with Livemocha.
Thanks again!

Oh another question:
I browsed Amazon for Assimil, and it states that it is in Castillian pronunciation. How different is it from the Spanish spoken in Central America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
It's not that different as far as I know. Castilian Spanish pronounces "z" and "c" as "th" instead of as a "s". You might want to google it to get more information.
There is a huge difference between Castillian pronunciation and latin american pronunciation. Think of it as the difference between English from England and American English. It is much more formal. Latin Americans don't use "vosotros", and they pronounce many words differently, as well as have different meanings for words. You are much better off learning Latin American spanish, as it is spoken by more people.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
There is a huge difference between Castillian pronunciation and latin american pronunciation. Think of it as the difference between English from England and American English. It is much more formal. Latin Americans don't use "vosotros", and they pronounce many words differently, as well as have different meanings for words. You are much better off learning Latin American spanish, as it is spoken by more people.
Vosotros wouldn't be included in pronunciation. People from Spain tend to sound like they have lisps when they speak, and most Spanish speakers I know have a very hard time understanding those from Spain.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:51 PM

358 posts, read 710,623 times
RS is over priced. Maybe a bit better than flashcards but not by much. They market the heck out of it. It's billed as something it's really not. And really the software/methodology of the lessons is extremely dated at this point. Check the amazon.com reviews. You will learn a lot.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times
My DH got a bootleg copy from Iraq and sent it back to me to try out. I only started the first lesson because I just wanted to see if it even worked. To me it wasn't any better than the free language learning apps I downloaded to my iphone. I think it would be better to just take a class at a local college if you really want to learn how to speak a different language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education