Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 03:34 AM

42 posts, read 79,728 times

Advertisements

I already taught in my home state, before teaching abroad, but reciprocity rules are confusing me and making my head hurt. I know if I teach for 3 years, I can get the national credential which gives me portability, but I'm not sure I want to move back to my home state for that long when I move back. I am going back to finish up the last course for the MAT.

*In a few months, I will have an MAT in English Language Arts. (In my state: ESOL endorsement and I can also teach Speech or Journalism with my undergraduate coursework.) This is an approved initial teacher preparation program that allows me a Professional Certificate. I already hold a Temporary Certificate (non-renewable) in my state, but when I graduate, I can transfer to the PC.
*I already have a BA in English.

I've been reading, and this is what it seems: Because I have a BA in my subject matter and I will have a PC from an initial teacher preparation program at the Masters Level, I will then be considered HQ in most states. . . right? (I know there are a few with super-high requirements.)

States I'm Looking at:
*North Carolina
*Texas
*Georgia
*Tennessee
*Washington
*Virginia
*Hawaii

Maybe elsewhere, but these are my favorites. (Not interested in job outlooks, etc. I realize the reality of that is a different story. Just certification. I've found that if you can't check the "HQ" box, it's a heck of a lot tougher to even get a call back.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM

191 posts, read 457,788 times
Most states have reciprocity for teachers that have a Clear Renewable Certificate (not a temporary). However, the only way to get a real answer to your question is to call the standards commission for each state and double check. It will matter what state you are currently working in as well. For example, I work in GA and my certificate will transfer with a minimum of requirements (the occasional test, or having to take a state history course even though I teach LA) to all states except for 5. There are just weird rules.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Once you obtain licensure, it is usually portable to other states. To the extent that you may have to fulfill a new requirement, it is usually a state history course (CA, for example, has such a requirement). You often have up to two years to complete the course while on a temporary certification from such states. As well, different states have different PRAXIS test requirements and different score thresholds. Overall, there has been a move to make teacher licensure much more portable than it used to be in previous decades.

Here is a link to a chart of which states accept which other states' teacher certifications: http://www.jflalc.org/upload/336.pdf (broken link). It also provides links to the websites of the state boards of education.

NCLB is national, so the definition of highly qualified does not change from state-to-state. If you have recently completed an accredited teacher education program and are on-track to obtain licensure, you should meet the criteria for HQ. Maintain your professional certification and you will maintain your HQ designation.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 AM

42 posts, read 79,728 times
I'll have a Professional Certificate. (I have a Temp now, but it becomes a Professional Cert as soon as I finish my MAT.)

Yeah, I know there are always ways to get in. Temporary certification lacks HQ status, though, and that's an issue in this job market.

I know the best way is to call the districts, but I'm more looking "broad scale" at this point (No idea where I want to move) so just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks for the chart. I've seen that chart, but it's for teaching Japanese language! Seems like there ought to be a chart out there for more core subjects. . . but I can't find it (I understand some of the same rules may apply).

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Ah, now I better understand your question.

No need to call in most instances. Requirements are usually listed right on websites. For example, if you to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission, there is a link to this document (The Home of the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (http://www.gapsc.com/Certification/SpecialGeorgiaRequirements.asp - broken link)) with "special Georgia requirements" for teachers. In this instance, it pretty much boils down to having taken a SPED course and demonstrating computer competency.

Sorry about that link going to only Japanese teaching requirements. The document looks identical to one I've worked off of in the past that applies to all teaching areas. The University of Kentucky has created a great table with links directly to each state's requirements for accepting out-of-state teaching certificates (50 States' Certification Requirements | Academic Services and Teacher Certification).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education