Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Yes, it is. I've been on the receiving end of numerous comments from other parents. My faviorite is "My child doesn't have THOSE problems." I've concluded that it boils down to insecurity. I remember one mother telling me that she didn't get into making comments like the above because the next thing you know your child is doing the same thing (or something else nutty).

Yup. Insecurity born of the mommy wars, IMO. Everyone (moms) want to prove their way is the best way and can't handle it if someone from the other camp succeeds so they have to one up them. When someone in the other camp has a child with a problem, they have a heyday.

I've been on the receiving end of some very rude comments regarding my daughter. She has issues that have nothing to do with how we raised her (I don't care to discuss them) but I've been told by a certain stay at home mom that if I'd put more time into my kids we wouldn't be having these issues. I tried telling her that the issues have nothing to do with how my dd was raised but she's CERTAIN it's because I don't know how to be a parent. I can see why parents don't want to discuss issues. I'd hide dd's if I could. People are very judgemental. People who have no clue that they have no clue what is going on even when you tell them they have no clue they have no clue what is going on . We have family not speaking to us because we have refused their help. They are convinced they know better than we do and we're just idiots. They won't accept that this has nothing to do with how we raised dd. I MUST be to blame. After all, my kids were "raised" by daycare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
I looked at it as an incentive. My kids are decent kids but I know they can do better. They are mainly 90-95 marks. I wanted to give them an incentive to do better. A bribe would be an instant gratification. The kids had a few weeks to work on their grades and they were happy with their reward. Most kids would be pleased to get a new xbox game or something. We gave one a gift card for a Book Store ; yes, he did get books and something he can learn from, the other child got an extra week of baseball camp ; he can also learn from that.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I looked at it as an incentive. My kids are decent kids but I know they can do better. They are mainly 90-95 marks. I wanted to give them an incentive to do better. A bribe would be an instant gratification. The kids had a few weeks to work on their grades and they were happy with their reward. Most kids would be pleased to get a new xbox game or something. We gave one a gift card for a Book Store ; yes, he did get books and something he can learn from, the other child got an extra week of baseball camp ; he can also learn from that.
Call it what you will. You are paying your kids for grades.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Both my kids were slackers and their were times I had doubts they would even graduate from high school.

But they both really cool people who continue to impress me with their ability to learn both academically and life-wise. I think they will do better in life than many of their high achieving classmates will. Already some of those have crashed and burned.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Same reason everybody's an above-average driver.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Does anyone have 'average' kids anymore?
Yep. I have average kids, and I think they're great!

Upon further thought, maybe the parents are below average, and by comparison, their kids appear brilliant.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-01-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Yep. I have average kids, and I think they're great!

Upon further thought, maybe the parents are below average, and by comparison, their kids appear brilliant.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Are you rolling your eyes about me or parents who think their kids are brilliant or something else?

Average depends on the population. My oldest is above-average in reading by national standards for her age group. Within her school population, she's dead-on middle of the pack.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Are you rolling your eyes about me or parents who think their kids are brilliant or something else?

Average depends on the population. My oldest is above-average in reading by national standards for her age group. Within her school population, she's dead-on middle of the pack.
At the idea that the parents aren't so bright and just THINK their kids are smart, lol. Interesting thought.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM

It's possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education