Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

812 posts, read 1,897,867 times

Advertisements

I am loving the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD. My 4 yr old (bday end of May) is muttering letter sounds to himself. He is hearing words and telling me what letters he hears in them. Sometimes it is the 1st or last letter. I can help him sound out a lot of the 3-4 letter words.

He will tell me that word has a B, I have a B in my name. I have an N so does this person in my class.

We are having problems with C and K --any help on how to help him differentiate the letters that sound similar or don't follow the sound rules he is hearing on the DVD? I can see that it is confusing to him.

He seems to be processing more auditory than visually. He isn't really interested in writing his letters yet like most of the girls in class. He has known his alphabet and recognized the letters since before he was 2. We read a TON. Sometimes he will point out words/letters in the books but mostly he is hearing and saying the words with the sounds. He will see a picture and say the word and then try to pick out the letters. I help him with the rest.

Will there be a problem long term with him learning by sound or is there a way to incorporate the two better?

He "read" Goodnight Moon to me before his 2nd bday because he had memorized the words on each page. He even remembered Goodnight AIR and there isn't a visual to clue you in! I play along with him and help him but we don't force learning. If he acts bored and changes the subject we drop it.

IF he wants to learn I want to encourage him but I want to make sure I am helping not hindering him in the process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
He is doing just fine. Keep reading to him, keep answering his questions and he will continue to learn.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM

I feel bad when he gets confused because certain letters sound the same and it is like you "learn" these rules and then they aren't followed! If he were older I think I could explain better but I am not sure how to tell him at 4 so he understands that the "rules" aren't always followed!

I can't come up with a way to word it for a preschooler! Not sure if there is a Kindergarten teacher around here that has a good method for explaining or a resource online??

Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
I am loving the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD. My 4 yr old (bday end of May) is muttering letter sounds to himself. He is hearing words and telling me what letters he hears in them. Sometimes it is the 1st or last letter. I can help him sound out a lot of the 3-4 letter words.

He will tell me that word has a B, I have a B in my name. I have an N so does this person in my class.

We are having problems with C and K --any help on how to help him differentiate the letters that sound similar or don't follow the sound rules he is hearing on the DVD? I can see that it is confusing to him.

He seems to be processing more auditory than visually. He isn't really interested in writing his letters yet like most of the girls in class. He has known his alphabet and recognized the letters since before he was 2. We read a TON. Sometimes he will point out words/letters in the books but mostly he is hearing and saying the words with the sounds. He will see a picture and say the word and then try to pick out the letters. I help him with the rest.

Will there be a problem long term with him learning by sound or is there a way to incorporate the two better?

He "read" Goodnight Moon to me before his 2nd bday because he had memorized the words on each page. He even remembered Goodnight AIR and there isn't a visual to clue you in! I play along with him and help him but we don't force learning. If he acts bored and changes the subject we drop it.

IF he wants to learn I want to encourage him but I want to make sure I am helping not hindering him in the process!
If you allow him to continue to lead the learning he will be fine. Have fun with his learning and everything will be a blast for both of you.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
I feel bad when he gets confused because certain letters sound the same and it is like you "learn" these rules and then they aren't followed! If he were older I think I could explain better but I am not sure how to tell him at 4 so he understands that the "rules" aren't always followed!

I can't come up with a way to word it for a preschooler! Not sure if there is a Kindergarten teacher around here that has a good method for explaining or a resource online??
There are exceptions for every rule and you just need to tell him that MOST of the time it is "this" way but not always.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,014,469 times
Quote:

I've noticed that kids 'get it' better if they know why, even an oversimplified reason (but don't lie!) You could tell him that many words started out from different languages that have different rules, and now we're just stuck with them. This won't give him the details of which rules get broken when, but can be a primer that helps him get used to the idea.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I've noticed that kids 'get it' better if they know why, even an oversimplified reason (but don't lie!) You could tell him that many words started out from different languages that have different rules, and now we're just stuck with them. This won't give him the details of which rules get broken when, but can be a primer that helps him get used to the idea.
he is pretty quick to remind me of things and remembers almost everything so I have to be good about telling him WHY because it WILL come back to haunt me!

The other night I told him to come downstairs and wake me up when his alarm went off--well I got up early and was in the shower--he was very upset that I wasn't in bed like I had said! The next night I told him I may be in the shower OR in bed but to come down and tell me good morning when he woke up! grrrrrrrr!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Learn to Read with phonics

If he likes the letter factory, he will love the free website above.

Don't worry at all about confusion at 4. He will get it when he is ready.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,713,997 times
Default Starfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Learn to Read with phonics

If he likes the letter factory, he will love the free website above.

Don't worry at all about confusion at 4. He will get it when he is ready.
I too was going to recommend this starfall website. My young students love it.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:32 AM

oh thanks for the websites!! He has fun on the computer playing games when we let him! FREE is good.

How would you explain what DEPENDS or DEPENDING means? He stumped me with that one at dinner last night. He picks out words I say in conversation--which is GREAT but then I was at a loss for a way to explain it with words he would understand! I tried to give an example but that still didn't seem to help! I need a translation book for Pre Schoolers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education