Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM

58 posts, read 185,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I was with you until that last sentence.
Why? My last statement was an acknowledgement that this plan could result in more young criminals.....you know....the ones who wouldn't attend high school, vocational training, public service or any other non-destructive activity. More young criminals would be an unfortunate but unavoidable trade-off for dramatically better schools. On balance, I think the outcome would be significantly more positive than negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

270 posts, read 504,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
Why? My last statement was an acknowledgement that this plan could result in more young criminals.....you know....the ones who wouldn't attend high school, vocational training, public service or any other non-destructive activity. More young criminals would be an unfortunate but unavoidable trade-off for dramatically better schools. On balance, I think the outcome would be significantly more positive than negative.

How so?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In the long run, he'll probably be better off with the degree. He'll have more opportunity for advancement.

I don't think our district would have handled his situation that way, though the vo-tech teachers may have encouraged college. Actually, that's sort of what happened to my brother-in-law, all those decades ago. He went to a vo-tech HS planning to learn electronics; he did so well he was encouraged to go to college and get an associate's degree; did so well in that he was encouraged to get a BS in electrical engineering. He graduated from high school in 1964, in Omaha, Nebraska.
That's what we hoped for him... get some classes and hands-on under his belt before he went on to college. Alas, they would not allow it!

He graduated last year with his BFA, and he is gainfully employed married homeowner.
He turned out better-than-all-right!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That's what we hoped for him... get some classes and hands-on under his belt before he went on to college. Alas, they would not allow it!

He graduated last year with his BFA, and he is gainfully employed married homeowner.
He turned out better-than-all-right!
Good for him! You have a right to be proud. Your school district needs an attitude adjustment. I agree that taking some graphics courses in HS would give him a taste of the field and let him know if he liked it.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I agree it should be optional.

-And even then, I'd gut 80% of the current cirriculum. At least half of a *privileged* high school education should be foreign based. It's scary.

I graduated highschool in 1996, I dont think I learned anything about the rest of the world. Besides abstract, memorized history, like a european war or the holocaust. Funny how China is running laps around the US since then, but I don't remember anything about Chinese provinces, chinese history, etc. Besides dumbed down, the cirriculum is too politically correct.

I don't know which is worst. Dumbing down. Or political correctness (basically omitting key information).

Maybe in a privileged highschool (with more money per school hopefully), a year or two could be spent abroad. That would be a great educational gift to give motivated students who want to learn.

The problem for the last 20-30 years, motivated students don't get any kind of educational "gift". And students at the bottom are just wasting their time, when they could be in tech vocational, or some other kind of learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education