Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM

58 posts, read 185,665 times

Advertisements

It's clear that we have enormous swaths of society where neither parents nor students give a damn about education. So I have an idea. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes...

If a student hasn't demonstrated the aptitude or will to continue beyond 8th grade, why thrust him into high school? Instead, I propose that these individuals be directed to trade schools, job training programs, or public service programs. We would need fewer high schools and the ones that remain could be restored to places of learning.

Students who earn poor grades but otherwise put forth an honest effort and are non-disruptive should be admitted to high school on a probationary basis, with focused tutoring and mentoring. They likely have the character to succeed and we definitely want to keep these kids in the game. I'd even say that the schools should be signficantly rated on how well these children progress, just to keep them from being treated like ignored, unwanted baggage. They would be just as worthy (if not moreso) as the honor students, as long as they demonstrate the will and capacity.

BUT, not everyone has the brains, will, or moral support structure needed to successfully complete high school. Why can't we accept this and cut our losses? Why must we continue to pass just about everyone right through 12th grade? We already have too many HS grads (and college students) who can't even spell skool and it's a very bad return on investment.

Make high school an earned PRIVILEDGE and a reward for work and performance.

Oh, and since we'd need fewer high schools, funding would become available to build more jails, as needed.

Last edited by Bone Saw; 08-02-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
I agree with you somewhat... as it is, there are already trade/technical schools that start at 9th grade. I think that more kids should be encouraged to go to these schools in lieu of regular high schools, especially if they are not on a college track.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Not only that, then we could stop dumbing down high school and administering stupid tests and making efforts to keep everything 'even.'

No, people, not everyone can be taught. Not everyone is interested or inclined towards completing what we've decided are 'basic requirements.' Why make them feel bad about it when there is something else they can excel at?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I agree with you somewhat... as it is, there are already trade/technical schools that start at 9th grade. I think that more kids should be encouraged to go to these schools in lieu of regular high schools, especially if they are not on a college track.
Not here--not until 10th grade with a B average. Our son would not have even been eligible for 10th grade vo-tech because of his grades. He didn't make it to the end of his 9th grade year at age 16. He ended up with his GED thanks to the National Guard Youth Challenge Program, but three years later, he still doesn't have his life on track. He is very intelligent, but he wants to work with his hands--can't stand sitting behind a desk. He's currently digging ditches in the 100+heat. He doesn't seem to mind it too much, but he can't keep it up forever. Fortunately, he now knows that he will have to get some sort of training with certification to get any kind of decent job.

I think that once a child has demonstrated that s/he can read, write, and compute adequately, s/he should be allowed to pursue a certificate program for trade/technical schools. As it was, our district held him back in the 6th grade, despite being advanced and proficient in all areas on his state tests. The problem was poor self-management, with the main problem being the endless cycle of lost homework /detention /lost detention form /ISS/suspension /failing grades (not skills--numerical averages). He was selected for the Duke Talent Identification Program for gifted children both years that he was in the sixth grade. It was clear that he was quite capable academically, but there were other issues that kept him from being successful in school.

Unfortunately, there were no alternatives for him. He did not qualify for the military--they told us they don't take kids with ADHD. And it was impossible to get construction work before he was 18 due to insurance and liability issues. That's one of the reasons that trade schools should exist. Kids need to be able to learn to use tools under supervision, then qualify for basic certification. Then perhaps the construction companies could hire them.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
It's clear that we have enormous swaths of society where neither parents nor students give a damn about education. So I have an idea. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes...

If a student hasn't demonstrated the aptitude or will to continue beyond 8th grade, why thrust him into high school? Instead, I propose that these individuals be directed to trade schools, job training programs, or public service programs. We would need fewer high schools and the ones that remain could be restored to places of learning.

Students who earn poor grades but otherwise put forth an honest effort and are non-disruptive should be admitted to high school on a probationary basis, with focused tutoring and mentoring. They likely have the character to succeed and we definitely want to keep these kids in the game. I'd even say that the schools should be signficantly rated on how well these children progress, just to keep them from being treated like ignored, unwanted baggage. They would be just as worthy (if not moreso) as the honor students, as long as they demonstrate the will and capacity.

BUT, not everyone has the brains, will, or moral support structure needed to successfully complete high school. Why can't we accept this and cut our losses? Why must we continue to pass just about everyone right through 12th grade? We already have too many HS grads (and college students) who can't even spell skool and it's a very bad return on investment.

Make high school an earned PRIVILEDGE and a reward for work and performance.

Oh, and since we'd need fewer high schools, funding would become available to build more jails, as needed.
I was with you until that last sentence.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not only that, then we could stop dumbing down high school and administering stupid tests and making efforts to keep everything 'even.'

No, people, not everyone can be taught. Not everyone is interested or inclined towards completing what we've decided are 'basic requirements.' Why make them feel bad about it when there is something else they can excel at?
The "dumbing down" and "making efforts to keep everything even" were done because of protests by minorities whose children couldn't pass standardized tests. Dumbing down tests to the lowest common denominator should NEVER have happened. Look at the result.

I don't know when trade schools started disappearing. They were a viable alternative decades ago. Kids who weren't cut out for academia (not because they were too stupid to pass standardized testing) had alternative paths via technical schools that taught the trades.

I think another part of the problem is that education became a big business whose primary purpose was/is making money rather than teaching.

Trade school should be brought back via "shop" courses in high school.

Way too much money is spent on high school sports and a good chunk of that money could be used for establishing trade courses. I remember when kids could apprentice in the afternoon a couple times a week. These kids shouldn't be denied a regular high school diploma, nor should they have to underwrite the total expense of their education.

I do believe they should have to take core courses though. It's impossible to conduct yourself in business without reading and writing or having the ability to perform basic math.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
I disagree with making high school totally optional. I do however think that we should eliminate 12th grade or make it optional. 9th, 10th, and 11th is enough for most students. During my senior year, I only had 7 classes a day (all electives) and I got out at 12:40 (the normal school day ran from 7:20 - 2:10). Oh and 1 of those was gym and 2 others were study halls so I really only had 4 actual classes. It was a total waste of my time.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
In my district, you start the vo-tech stuff in 10th grade, and you also receive a h.s. diploma. I think everyone should have a diploma and I think every effort should be made to see that everyone can earn one. There are plenty of late bloomers out there (especially males, from what I have read), who don't "wake up and smell the coffee" until 11th grade or so.

Arapahoe Campus High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I disagree with making high school totally optional. I do however think that we should eliminate 12th grade or make it optional. 9th, 10th, and 11th is enough for most students. During my senior year, I only had 7 classes a day (all electives) and I got out at 12:40 (the normal school day ran from 7:20 - 2:10). Oh and 1 of those was gym and 2 others were study halls so I really only had 4 actual classes. It was a total waste of my time.
The high schools could go by credits earned, like the colleges do, and let you graduate when you have fulfilled all the credits and required courses. I know kids who needed only 12th grade language arts and social studies to fulfill all the requirements; these could be taken in summer school after 11th grade.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My son tried to get into our tech school in 10th grade. Ours has a very good graphic design program.
He was denied entry because he had almost a perfect 4.0 GPA.

At least his grades got him a full tuition scholarship at a private university with a good graphics program...

Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My son tried to get into our tech school in 10th grade. Ours has a very good graphic design program.
He was denied entry because he had almost a perfect 4.0 GPA.

At least his grades got him a full tuition scholarship at a private university with a good graphics program...
In the long run, he'll probably be better off with the degree. He'll have more opportunity for advancement.

I don't think our district would have handled his situation that way, though the vo-tech teachers may have encouraged college. Actually, that's sort of what happened to my brother-in-law, all those decades ago. He went to a vo-tech HS planning to learn electronics; he did so well he was encouraged to go to college and get an associate's degree; did so well in that he was encouraged to get a BS in electrical engineering. He graduated from high school in 1964, in Omaha, Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education