Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you respect teachers?
Yes 35 51.47%
No 5 7.35%
Not until they earn my respect personally 28 41.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times

Advertisements

Since school attendance is compulsory there will always be kids who are in school against their free will and some of those kids will rebel by showing disrespect or disinterest in the classroom. They don't care if their teacher has a degree in education or even care if they learn anything in class since it was never their choice to be in that class in the first place. It's unfair to teachers and it's unfair to the students who actually want to learn but that's just the reality of the situation from my perspective. I don't condone kids showing disrespect to teachers but I can see why it happens and it doesn't surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:18 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I always respected teachers that took their job seriously, both as human beings and teachers. I still respect my professors who take their job seriously. While I still respect teachers who don't take their job as seriously, I respect them as human beings, not as teachers.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Since school attendance is compulsory there will always be kids who are in school against their free will and some of those kids will rebel by showing disrespect or disinterest in the classroom. They don't care if their teacher has a degree in education or even care if they learn anything in class since it was never their choice to be in that class in the first place. It's unfair to teachers and it's unfair to the students who actually want to learn but that's just the reality of the situation from my perspective. I don't condone kids showing disrespect to teachers but I can see why it happens and it doesn't surprise me.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I teach chemistry. Chemistry used to be an elective. Now it's required. I'm convinced that many of the problems I have, I have because students are being forced to take my class who don't want to take my class and the only person they can take that out on is me.

Mine is one of the few classes they have no say so in and it is not a popular class. Traditionally, only about the top 1/3 of students would opt to take chemistry. Now they all have to take it. I had a much easier time teaching physics because the students chose to take the class.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I see what you mean, but a teacher needs to be passionate about his subject, and as such would be constantly researching both his subject and also the newest methods for passing this on to the students.
I know that the breakdown of the family structure and parent involvement must impact the teaching profession and make it much harder, but if I were a teacher, I would make sure that my product would allow me to be employed in a system where there is parental involvement. Just like I made it my business to live in a place where the school system and students reflected my values when my kids were in school.
I agree. I just regret that we don't train teachers like we do engineers. In teaching, once you have a certificate, it's pretty much "Here's the key to your class, have at it". Every teacher reinvents the wheel in her first few years. As an engineer, it was here's a project to work on and here are the people you will work with and some of them were senior engineers. I was discussing everything I did with senior engineers. They didn't tell me what to do but they guided me so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel. I've never felt so on my own as I do as a teacher. Yet there are more things about this job I need to learn from master than I did in engineering.

It comes down to the value of teachers. A teacher who gets great training brings no more revenue into the system than a teacher who doesn't get training. The revenue brought in is based on class size only and class size is not impacted by teacher quality. As an engineer, I was worth more to the company if I was well trained so I was well trained.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Some states or districts do have mentor teacher programs where an older teacher is assigned to the new teacher to help them become proficient. They usually help with classroom management particularly.

Teacher Mentor, Teacher Coach: Responsibilities and Challenges of Mentoring a New Teacher (http://teacher-mentorship.suite101.com/article.cfm/teacher_mentors - broken link)

Unfortunately, very few places have programs in place like these.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Some states or districts do have mentor teacher programs where an older teacher is assigned to the new teacher to help them become proficient. They usually help with classroom management particularly.

Teacher Mentor, Teacher Coach: Responsibilities and Challenges of Mentoring a New Teacher (http://teacher-mentorship.suite101.com/article.cfm/teacher_mentors - broken link)

Unfortunately, very few places have programs in place like these.
I had a mentor but she had her own full class load so beyond me going to her after school to ask questions, she wasn't much help. Personally, I think a mentor and mentee should have two preps with one being expressly for mentoring.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:43 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,383 times
I just started a different thread before I saw this one. I would respect teachers for choosing to do what they do. Now teachers have to pay for alot of the class room supplies they use out of their own money and spend alot of time working not on the clock. Some of the best teachers "adopt" their students each year and treat them as if they were their own and make sure all of them get the information needed to become productive members of society. I do feel sorry for some of them when they realize that they are the only ones trying to help the children because the child's own parents are not involved or supportinve.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 AM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. I just regret that we don't train teachers like we do engineers. In teaching, once you have a certificate, it's pretty much "Here's the key to your class, have at it". Every teacher reinvents the wheel in her first few years. As an engineer, it was here's a project to work on and here are the people you will work with and some of them were senior engineers. I was discussing everything I did with senior engineers. They didn't tell me what to do but they guided me so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel. I've never felt so on my own as I do as a teacher. Yet there are more things about this job I need to learn from master than I did in engineering.
Weren't you required to student-teach?

You speak of your engineering days fondly...you got the respect you believe you deserved, you didn't have to deal with disrespectful kids and parents, you were paid what you think you were worth.....why don't you go back to engineering?

Just like the high school dropouts you label here, you too are where you are in life because of the choices you've made.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
[quote=Ivorytickler;15388470]BTDT.
Quote:
Acorns do not fall far from the tree. This is the student I have the toughtest time with. Because they don't respect me, they don't listen to me, they don't want to learn from me and they disrupt my class so others can't learn. They know mom and dad will side with them because mom and dad don't respect teachers either. They don't see that they are hurting themselves and the parents don't see they are hurting their children.
I've gone to school for my stepkids before and my neice or nephew. I would listen to her/him. Talk to the kid, hey, why are talking crap to the teacher. Kids are out of control, because they are not taught to respect adults. Parents think this behavior is cute. That's right precious don't allow her to push you around. Next thing, you can't get precious out your basement.

You always see or hear about parents coming to school and threatening teachers. These brats are disruptive in class. The other students can't say anything, because they don't want to become an outcast.

My cousin was invited to the school to witness his bad azz kid showing his natural behind in class. He walked up to the window and saw all the kids laughing. He noticed it was his child. He said, he was so embarassed. He took him into the restroom for some hands-on counseling.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM

[quote=Childfree35;15397149]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
BTDT.

I've gone to school for my stepkids before and my neice or nephew. I would listen to her/him. Talk to the kid, hey, why are talking crap to the teacher. Kids are out of control, because they are not taught to respect adults. Parents think this behavior is cute. That's right precious don't allow her to push you around. Next thing, you can't get precious out your basement.

You always see or hear about parents coming to school and threatening teachers. These brats are disruptive in class. The other students can't say anything, because they don't want to become an outcast.

My cousin was invited to the school to witness his bad azz kid showing his natural behind in class. He walked up to the window and saw all the kids laughing. He noticed it was his child. He said, he was so embarassed. He took him into the restroom for some hands-on counseling.
Last year, I had one of the advanced kids in my class (10th graders taking 11th grade chemistry) tell me "What do you expect? We're teenagers." in a glib tone, when I told her it was disrespectful for her and her friends to talk throughout my lectures. The way she said it was as if everything she ever did was considered cute and excusable because she's young. NOPE, not in my class. At 15, I expect you can sit through a 20 minute lecture without having to talk about your boyfriend to your neighbor.

I have to say she was the only brighter student in my class to give me this attitude. I usually see it in students who are poorly performing. She's also the only brighter student to give me a negative review last year. Hers was "Just because you know this stuff doesn't mean you can teach it". When I read it all I could think was "How do you know? You spend your time talking in class." If you don't pay attention, you have no clue. Not surprisingly, my bad reviews almost exclusively came from kids who didn't listen in class. The ones that came from the kids who did usually were complaints that I went too slow or, my all time favorite, "This class would be great if it weren't for all the idiots in here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education