U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you respect teachers?
Yes 35 51.47%
No 5 7.35%
Not until they earn my respect personally 28 41.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,647,409 times
Reputation: 14582

Advertisements

Time for an anonomous poll. Simple question, do you respect teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 9,020,109 times
Reputation: 2872
No more or less than I respect anyone else. I have respect for everyone unless they show me that they do not deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 36,246,290 times
Reputation: 20198
As I've said in the other thread where you keep arguing..

Teachers, as individuals, do not get respect OR disrespect from me until and unless I have reason to respect OR disrespect them. Teachers, as individuals, hold a neutral pattern in my mind, until then.

The teaching profession as a whole, gets my respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,647,409 times
Reputation: 14582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
No more or less than I respect anyone else. I have respect for everyone unless they show me that they do not deserve it.
Out of curiosity, how do you learn from a professor if you have no more respect for him than you do a high school drop out? To me they are in different categories. One has completed a program of study and that tells me something about him. The other hasn't done anything to prove himself yet so I'm more skeptical. I would accept instruction from a college professor long before I would from a high school drop out, unless said drop out has done something to prove themselves an expert in what they teach.

To me, they're different. I would assume the professor is an expert but I would not assume the high school drop out was an expert. I could be wrong, but, statistically speaking, I'll be right more often than I'm wrong. Until proven otherwise, I would have more respect for the professor and what he teaches than the high school drop out. Apparently, I stand alone in that...at least for now in the poll. I was taught to respect my elders and those who knew more than me because they know more than me. Things have changed a lot.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-02-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 36,246,290 times
Reputation: 20198
I guess Ivorytickler is of the belief that one must have respect for a thing, to learn from it.

I have no respect at all for thieves. But I could probably learn something from them. Such as, how to protect myself against them. No doubt a professional thief is the most qualified to each theft prevention. But that doesn't mean I have to respect him. I can absolutely loathe him, and still learn from him.

That high school dropout - if he's making money teaching people things, then he has to be doing something right. Maybe I'll respect him more than the one who demands more money by virtue of the fact that she has a piece of paper on her wall proclaiming that she's Certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times
Reputation: 39034
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Teachers, as individuals, do not get respect OR disrespect from me until and unless I have reason to respect OR disrespect them. Teachers, as individuals, hold a neutral pattern in my mind, until then.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM
 
2,838 posts, read 9,020,109 times
Reputation: 2872
I don't equate respect with whether I can learn something from someone. I respect my children as people, not because I think they will teach me something (although they do, LOTS of stuff!). I respect the homeless who come into the church's shower ministry each month, and I respect my kids' pediatrician. The level of education that one has does not mean that they deserve more or less respect than anyone else.

Even if we were equating respect with learning information from another person, a degree in one field does not mean that the person has any knowledge in another field. So while I might respect the medical opinion of a doctor over the medical opinion of a shoe salesman, I would not be asking my doctor to fit me for shoes; I'd respect the shoe salesman's opinion on that. (Obviously this is just an example I pulled out of my left ear, and I am not interested in debating whether medical doctors or shoe salesmen are truly looking out for the common good, just trying to make money, or whatever else someone may wish to argue about, LOL.) Would you be more likely to respect the opinion of a chemistry professor or a high school dropout when discussing perseverence in the face of a lack of education? Would you be more likely to respect the opinion of a homeless Vietnam veteran or your child's kindergarten math teacher when discussing the atrocities of war?

People are people, and unless one gives you reason not to, everyone deserves respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,479 posts, read 74,374,114 times
Reputation: 47872
per OP, yes i do-- as well as cops and social workers. but then again i dont speak for the vast majority who have nothing but contempt for all authority figures. they even dig up the founding fathers out of the grave and spit on them. busy busy busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
 
238 posts, read 606,289 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Time for an anonomous poll. Simple question, do you respect teachers?
Kids should respect adults period! As an adult towards other adults they have to earn my respect. however i think I know what you are trying to say, Its kinda of like the policeman there is a certain amount of respect for the uniform because of the job. Same with our Armed Forces, they deserve automatic respect....I get where you are coming from

You also have to realize that the generation of parents you are dealing with ( NOT ALL BUT MOST) have no respect for anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,647,409 times
Reputation: 14582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't equate respect with whether I can learn something from someone. I respect my children as people, not because I think they will teach me something (although they do, LOTS of stuff!). I respect the homeless who come into the church's shower ministry each month, and I respect my kids' pediatrician. The level of education that one has does not mean that they deserve more or less respect than anyone else.

Even if we were equating respect with learning information from another person, a degree in one field does not mean that the person has any knowledge in another field. So while I might respect the medical opinion of a doctor over the medical opinion of a shoe salesman, I would not be asking my doctor to fit me for shoes; I'd respect the shoe salesman's opinion on that. (Obviously this is just an example I pulled out of my left ear, and I am not interested in debating whether medical doctors or shoe salesmen are truly looking out for the common good, just trying to make money, or whatever else someone may wish to argue about, LOL.) Would you be more likely to respect the opinion of a chemistry professor or a high school dropout when discussing perseverence in the face of a lack of education? Would you be more likely to respect the opinion of a homeless Vietnam veteran or your child's kindergarten math teacher when discussing the atrocities of war?

People are people, and unless one gives you reason not to, everyone deserves respect.
I'm referring to professional respect. Do you look up to teachers as leaders? Do you respect their expertise and ability to teach? Do you assume they can do their job or assume it has to be proven whether or not they can do their jobs? The, prevailing, attitude seems to be that teachers are not to be respected as teachers until they prove they deserve respect. IMO, that is counterproductive to learning anything because you wouldn't want to learn froms someone whom you do not respect. I know I wouldn't. If I don't respect you, I really don't want anything to do with you. I have too many people I do respect I can't get around to to waste my time on one I don't respect.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-02-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top