Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times

Advertisements

Saw this ad while watching "Spongebob" on Nick this morning with the wife and kids:

FREE DVD OFFER

The ad seems to portray it as an alternative to both regular school AND homeschooling, with a retired Chicago teacher/principal giving approval. I would think that there would be some law not allowing this to replace schooling, after all states have guidelines for homeschooling, etc. to insure it meets the mandated curriculum.

This seemed to us like "getting schooled by a robot" and if true was very disturbing (we could also see the "teacher hating extreme budget hawks" in politics viewing this as a cheap, suitable replacement, but that's perhaps paranoia ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
K-12 is a recognized homeschool/public school alternative. And no states have a mandated curriculum for homeschooling, as far as I know. Some require that certain classes are taught (English, math, U.S. History, etc), but parents can go about teaching them however they want, whether by a curriculum-in-a-box, using free library resources, using unit studies, participating in a co-op, or using a computer-based program.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
The dvd as offered is sample lessons only anyway. I suspect they want you to buy a particular curriculum. It seems to be the k-12 school according to their trademark. Apparently, it has public options which are free and options you can pay for.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The dvd as offered is sample lessons only anyway. I suspect they want you to buy a particular curriculum. It seems to be the k-12 school according to their trademark. Apparently, it has public options which are free and options you can pay for.
It sounds like they use the state money for the student instead of having the parents pay for the program. Talk about a money maker. You don't even need a brick and mortar school or teachers. I wish I'd thought of this one.

As to being legal, it likely is. I don't know why virtual schooling would be illegal. What I'd question is the standards they are teaching to.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM

In Florida, each child in the K-12 program is assigned a Florida certified teacher, and the standards are the same as those held by the public schools. The children have to take the same standardized tests that the schooled children do. It saves the state money because instead of paying for the child to go to the school building and be taught by several different teachers, they stay home and report (via phone and email) to one teacher.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:01 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
HMM, I wonder if any regular classroom teachers use them in lieu of a lesson plan....

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Most states have VERY little "required" of homeschoolers so I am sure it is just fine. I know in our state there is no "required" curriculum and home schooling parents only need to turn in grades to their home school district--they don't have to do anything to PROVE those grades, just turn them in, quite sad actually.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 AM

In my state, all homeschooling parents have to do is turn in attendence. No grades, no evaulations. I love it that the state recognizes that it is not in charge of homeschooled children.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
In my state, all homeschooling parents have to do is turn in attendence. No grades, no evaulations. I love it that the state recognizes that it is not in charge of homeschooled children.
That is really sad-zero accountability for those kids, no oversight to make sure those kids are learning anything-sad, sad, sad.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is really sad-zero accountability for those kids, no oversight to make sure those kids are learning anything-sad, sad, sad.
I'm accountable to my children only. Obviously, I want them to succeed. I have a vested interest. The superintendent does not have a vested interest in my children. The vast majority of homeschooling parents do so because they want better for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education