Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 PM

235 posts, read 465,404 times

Advertisements

What's the difference/similar between these two?

The reason why I am asking is because I have a cousin who was expelled from public school and now is in alternative school. I am wonder what is the difference and similar between the two, how do they handle detentions/suspensions/expulsions/etc., how does the homework differ, where do they go once they are done with middle/high school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
What's the difference/similar between these two?

The reason why I am asking is because I have a cousin who was expelled from public school and now is in alternative school. I am wonder what is the difference and similar between the two, how do they handle detentions/suspensions/expulsions/etc., how does the homework differ, where do they go once they are done with middle/high school?
In my area, alternative schools are public schools. They are all under the same Board of Education as the other schools in that district. Students are sent to alternative schools when they have been referred by administration. There's a lot of paperwork that is involved. Most students are there for a semester. Some students serve long term suspensions there, which range from 10 days to an entire school year. They have to earn their right to go back to their regular campus. I know in my hometown, if students went to the alternative school, earned their way out, and preferred it over their regular school, they were given the option to stay. The class sizes are very small, and some students just need that tough love that they provide. I sat in on a class once and a girl was talking out of hand (by their definition...I think she just turned around and had a quick word with another student. It was very minor). The teacher told her to drop and give her 20--and she did it. I was amazed! Students also had a very strict dress code. Students could only wear gym pants and school shirts. I think homework procedures are similar to regular schools. I'm not sure how the detentions/suspensions/expulsions are handled. I would think students' behavior is taken care of at alternative schools and they wouldn't act up, since most students really want the freedom of a regular campus and know they have to earn their right to go back.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^In my area, there are both public and private "alternative" schools.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I graduated from an 'alternative' high school. Basically, the school was filled with all the 'riff raff' that the public school didn't want to deal with, so we had druggies, girls with a few kids, drop outs, kids with major mental issues etc. I wasn't doing all that well in school (I hated my public high school) so I transfered over there because of the suggestions from my guidance counselor. Our 'semesters' were 8 weeks long and most of our work was done as homework. I graduated a year early, aced my SATs and ACTs and participated in mock trial all while graduating with a high GPA.

The accelerated classes really helped me because I'd get bored with the ridiculously long semesters at the public school less than half way through. It was nothing but test prep and busy work....such a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education