Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:07 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
When the languages you are learning are similar, it is more difficult, not easier!

1) However, if you are learning them for traveling purposes, you won't have to be an expert, I am assuming you are looking for basic conversational skills and/or improving what you already know.

2) Being so, I applaud your efforts to try to learn the local languages. Many people travel and assume the locals have to speak their language, while you are going the distance and investing time/money/efforts to try to learn more.

Locals are very appreciative of tourists who try to speak their language. It makes them feel respected and they tend to be more friendly.

If I am going somewhere, no way I won't learn at least the basics of the language, there is only advantages to that.

Good for you, and btw have a great trip!
Thanks for your post.

1. Yes...exaclty. I don't expect any miracles. I just want to land in Brazil and have the ability to speak some basic phrases and not be a total fool. My Spanish is ALREADY more advanced....I just want to learn more and speak Spanish at a more advanced level.

2. I agree....it only makes sense to learn the history, culture, and language when visiting a place.

The truly tragic reality is that I had a Brazilian girlfriend about 10 years ago. She was fluent in English and Portuguese and was a Portugese major in college while I was dating her!

She taught me a few phrases and I even had a phrase book for a while. But I BLEW it in NOT taking better advantage because she loved teaching me. Boy...I really regret that!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
Every very large country (like Brazil, as you mentioned it) usually has huge differences in pronunciation and accent, so basic knowledge will, at least, help you to some extent, I guess. Also, to my knowledge, Portuguese from Portugal and from Brazil are quite different; I have seen books for "Portugal Portuguese" and "Brazilian Portuguese".

Most Brazilians do not speak English or speak it very poorly, and despite being surrounded by Spanish-speaking countries have not mingled with them in terms of language. Unfortunately many people think Brazilians speak Spanish, a lack of understanding they usually do not appreciate.

I can see the difference between Spanish spoken in Spain and in South America very clearly, however I cannot distinguish between, for example, Argentinian and Chilean accents, but I am sure there might be differences though. If you already have a certain knowledge of Spanish this should not be an issue.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Wow, six languages in six countries! Yes...that would be very tough. I guess it's a good thing that So. America is primarily just two languages (not counting the native languages).
And many of them were totally dissimilar. The languages were Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, Latvian and Polish.

I brushed up on a little Danish and Swedish, with the most emphasis on Danish. I also learned a bit of Polish and actually used it successfully to buy a bottle of water from somebody who didn't speak English. I didn't try Russian because the alphabet was a deal breaker for me.

It was a lot of fun. I really loved the trip.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I studied Japanese and Spanish simultaneously for years. Obviously the languages are extremely different and sometimes I would still mix the two up. I think it would be difficult studying two similar languages because the words are different yet similar so you'd be likely to confuse the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education