Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM

24 posts, read 49,976 times

Advertisements

my daughters is starting 8grade this fall, and she needs help with this homework. B= P/R , what is R? Please help. thanks in advance

Last edited by SHARKRN; 08-22-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 AM

4,484 posts, read 9,267,288 times
She needs to find someone who can help her regularly. Does the teacher offer help before or after school? Does the school offer any help?

If you can't get help in those places, there are websites that offer online math help. (It's tempting for me to do it here, but it isn't what this forum is for.)

Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKRN View Post
my daughters is starting 8grade this fall, and she needs help with this homework. B= P/R , what is R? Please help. thanks in advance
If your daughter doesn't know what "R" is, she needs to talk to her teacher. I agree with the post above this.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,593,175 times
Did she bring home the book that this was the homework for? If so, that equation should be on the pages covered that day. Did she take notes in class? If so, that should be in her notes.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM

24 posts, read 49,976 times
this is just one of the 200 questions from her maths summer package. her teacher is excellent and she always help but she can not be reached at this time as school is closed. No, she did not bring any text bk.

Last edited by SHARKRN; 08-22-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKRN View Post
this is just one of the 200 questions from her maths summer package. her teacher is excellent and she always help but she can not be reached at this time as school is school. No, she did not bring any text bk.
Here's what my kids' schools often said:

Use your notes

Call a friend

Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,211,134 times
B = P/R looks like a percentage problem. I always taught it percentage = rate x base, and then demonstrated the ratios, which also includes R = P/B. That sounds like an eighth grade math objective.

YouTube also has good tutorials.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,146,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
She needs to find someone who can help her regularly. Does the teacher offer help before or after school? Does the school offer any help?

If you can't get help in those places, there are websites that offer online math help. (It's tempting for me to do it here, but it isn't what this forum is for.)

----before and after class---

Makes me wonder what that teacher and students are doing during class time.

I graduated in 63.......took Algebra I.Algebra !!, Geometry !. Geometry II

Our math teacher was a true teacher !
He " worked that blackboard" til he was sweating and when the bell rang ending class every kid had a grasp on what he was teachinhg that day.

Teachers and students have to make better use of the allotted class periods. ( IMHO )

Old 08-22-2010, 12:10 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,433,755 times
Please see the sticky at the top of this forum regarding homework help. The most important thing I learned about homework was that homework was to be done by the kids NOT the parents. My son has been working on his summer reading and homework for most of the summer. Frankly, besides seeing the books and buying one of them for him, I don't really know what he has to do, but we all know the due date....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM

4,484 posts, read 9,267,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----before and after class---

Makes me wonder what that teacher and students are doing during class time.

. . .

Teachers and students have to make better use of the allotted class periods. ( IMHO )
I agree. That comes first. Sometimes it still isn't enough. Sometimes kids don't want to keep asking questions that they feel like everyone else already understands (esp. in middle school). Sometimes the student has waited too long to ask, the class has moved on, and the teacher would rather help outside of class than change the plan for the day and get everyone behind schedule. (Teachers are under pressure to keep moving.)

By meeting with the child, a good teacher or tutor would be able to determine whether she is just confused about this particular problem because the R that she is solving for is in the denominator of a fraction and she doesn't know how to get to it, or whether she has no clue what's going on with "Solve for x" type problems at all, or whether the problem goes back farther than that. It may be complete confusion at seeing letters in math. It may a long-held false belief about the = sign. This kind of help is hard to give in class when it's only one student asking (for more than one reason).

Or the kid might not care about understanding at all, and will just keep ignoring it or fussing about it until someone else does it for her. (My nephew had mastered this by 4th grade - keep acting clueless and eventually Mom will point out the answer.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education