Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times

Advertisements

My dd is in 5th grade now. Some of the middle school teachers were talking to the kids to day at her school. My dd comes home and tells me in 6th grade she can take pre algerbra, in 7th take algebra I for HS credit, then take algebra II in 8th grade for HS credit. She also said she can get a HS credit in 8th grade in English. So that would mean she would start 9th grade with 3 HS credit completed ? Does that sound true? Boy have things changed from the time I was in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Sounds like a math and English fast track... which is nothing new around here.
I did that in the 70s. Back then it was called college prep.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Call your daughter's Guidance Counselor? That would probably be better than asking anonymous people on the internet.

Some systems will award high school credit for middle school Algebra and foreign language pending successful completion of the follow on course in 9th grade. That will vary from system to system. That's how you have kids taking Calculus BC in 12th grade- Algebra I in 7th, Geometry in 8th, Alg II/Trig in 9th, Pre-Calc in 10th, Calc AB in 11th, Calc BC in 12th. Only really advanced Math kids can do that. Most have been identified sometime in elementary.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
My dd is in 5th grade now. Some of the middle school teachers were talking to the kids to day at her school. My dd comes home and tells me in 6th grade she can take pre algerbra, in 7th take algebra I for HS credit, then take algebra II in 8th grade for HS credit. She also said she can get a HS credit in 8th grade in English. So that would mean she would start 9th grade with 3 HS credit completed ? Does that sound true? Boy have things changed from the time I was in school.
My 8th grader will end 8th grade with 4 HS credits (Algebra I, Spanish I/II, Physical Science).

When I started HS I had 3 HS credits (Earth Science, Algebra I, French I).

I think that kids have been able to earn HS credit in Jr. High for decades in some areas. I am 44 years old.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
I went to a very small school in the middle of no where West Virginia and we didn't have anything at all like this. I think it is great to have that for the kids. Of coarse I will be talking to her school about this at her middle school open house, just thought I would ask here too.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Back in the 70's I attended city college when I was a junior in High school. I transfered some of the college units to high school to eliminate many required classes.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I agree with the other posters that this varies greatly from one school (or school district) to another. In our school district none of the grades from MS will carry over to the HS. Two things to make sure of is that the grades and classes from the MS will be on the HS transcript, otherwise colleges won't count it. For instance, many colleges ask for three or four years of a foreign language but if a student has two years of a FL in Middle School and only takes one more year in HS, it will only count as one year of a FL unless it's on her transcript. Also, make sure that your child has a firm understanding of math. It's very common (at least in our district) for kids to get fast-tracked in math by taking Alg. 1 in 7th or 8th grade but not really getting it, and re-taking it in 9th. I'm not really sure of the reasoning to move so quickly unless a child is gifted.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
They're doing that at my dd's school as well. She's in 7th grade and getting 9th grade credit for 8th grade honors algebra, 8th grade honors science and for french. Next year, she'll take math and science over at the high school (she'll split her day between HS/MS), take french II and a computer class all for high school credit. She'll start her freshman year with 7 credits. She can either graduate a year early or do dual enrollment at a community college.

To be honest, I think this is a testimony to how far we've watered down education. The top of the class is still smart and the only thing we can do wtih them is start them in high school at the ripe old age of 12.

My dd has the option of getting her associates degree and her high school diploma at the same time and if she does, it might just rival the education I had leaving high school with straight D's in the 1970's

It's real.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree with the other posters that this varies greatly from one school (or school district) to another. In our school district none of the grades from MS will carry over to the HS. Two things to make sure of is that the grades and classes from the MS will be on the HS transcript, otherwise colleges won't count it. For instance, many colleges ask for three or four years of a foreign language but if a student has two years of a FL in Middle School and only takes one more year in HS, it will only count as one year of a FL unless it's on her transcript. Also, make sure that your child has a firm understanding of math. It's very common (at least in our district) for kids to get fast-tracked in math by taking Alg. 1 in 7th or 8th grade but not really getting it, and re-taking it in 9th. I'm not really sure of the reasoning to move so quickly unless a child is gifted.
I think the reason to move so quickly is to identify the students at risk of not meeting the requirements for math for graduation early. Here students must pass Algebra II. You can't afford to wait until 10th grade to take Algebra I like they did when I was in school. So, Algebra I got pulled down to 9th grade and now 8th grade. Get the kids out of the way who can fast track in middle school and you have more time to work on the ones who are at risk in high school. Also, this might be motivating to some students. Getting clases like math out of the way means more room for electives later. If this motivates the student, more power to them.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Our kids don't get "credit" for taking those classes in middle school but they are allowed to not take them in high school. Our kids went right into Spanish II as freshman, for example. They don't give credit for math or English because there is enough time worked into the schedule over their 4 years to take extra classes in English and they offer accelerated math classes in the summer so kids can fit extra math in (because math builds on each other). Our kids will have a 6 week geometry class this summer and will end up graduating with 5 years of high school math. They have the option to take more if they want but given their interests for future careers they won't need more then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education