U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM

4,167 posts, read 6,730,084 times
Default Homework alerts

So here we are in the second week of school and both my kids got one homework alert each. This is new to me ; 5th and 6th grade.

Background ; child in 6th grade is overwhelmed by changing classes and forgetting to bring home books. So he forgot his ELA book and told the teacher. he got a homework alert.

Child in 5th grade wrote down the wrong page number, told the teacher, she said ; ok you can do it in school but you are still getting a homework alert. It was the same teacher in both cases. The other teachers are not starting alerts until next week.

6th grade child gets resource for reading and gets pulled out for it during lunch which makes him late daily for this teachers class. Sometimes he forgets to bring his backpack with him to resource and so does not have his workbook with him for ELA. He has been told that he cannot go into his homeroom to get his backpack as that teacher does not want to be disturbed. So then he gets so flustered by having no books, that he forgets to bring it home and to do his homework. He is 11 and up until now has been a great child ; works hard ; gets b's without studying, past teachers have had no problem with him at all.

5th grade child is very good and always does his homework. Both children never have gotten a not home from school and again, teachers say only good things about them.

any advice besides telling older child to read notes for homework before leaving school and to make sure he has all books etc. 3 alerts = demerit, 3 demerits = detention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 3,361,019 times
It's an adjustment period. It sounds like the homework alert is meant to be a warning/wake-up, and not a big deal. That's why it takes three to make a demerit, and nine to make a detention. (Wow! That's much too lenient!)

I'm in favor of what this teacher is doing: start the alerts right away.

If your kids have always been fine in school, they probably will be fine this year, too.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,460,805 times
When my son was in 5th grade, one of the big things they focused on was preparation for middle school because they suddenly have to be much more independent and organized when they hit 6th grade.

It's a big adjustment and it will take them a bit to get into the groove. Make sure they have the tools they need to be organized. Sounds like the alerts are just a way to get a wake up call.

There's a lot to remember, but that's part of the whole middle school thing - gradually getting them more and more independent. By the time they are in high school, there are no reminders. They need to have it down. My son has a few teachers who will not accept anything if it's late.

Talk to him about his day, how he does things, and maybe what he can do differently to not get overwhelmed. It will get easier - really! Give it a few more weeks and they'll have everything down pat.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 6,114,451 times
We send homework alerts home with our third graders. The main reason for doing so is to let the parents know the homework was not done or was late. That way it's not a surprise later on when conferences are held or grades go home.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,378,233 times
Maybe your take on it should be that it's a good thing so that you can figure out some strategies with your son so he won't forget things. For instance, if I want to remember something I'll write myself a note and put it in my pocket. Every time my hand goes into the pocket I remember what it is I wrote, even without pulling out the piece of paper. Could you put a post-in on a notebook or something that he would see before he leaves the class? Leave a note in the lunch box?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 AM

864 posts, read 1,761,486 times
Are the notes he needs to check about his homework all located on one page (in an agenda, for example) or does he have it in separate notebooks/binders for each class? If he doesn't have an agenda, maybe that would help.

Has he always gotten pulled out during lunch? It seems odd to be missing part of lunch for resource services if this happens daily. Does the school or the district not have a designated number of minutes for students to have lunch?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 PM

4,167 posts, read 6,730,084 times
Oh I think its a good thing to help him be more alert to what the new year of 6th grade brings. I have explained to him that he needs to make sure he has his books for the next class and at the end of the day to read over his notebook to make sure all his books that he needs are in the bag.

As for resource ; up until last year he was pulled out for resource at different times but the resource teacher would concentrate on the reading for that subject. This year she has scheduled his resource for lunch time. It is a parochial school and the resource teacher comes in from the district for a few students. He is supposed to get 40mins daily for resource ; I asked if she could reduce it to 30 mins so he can get to literature on time, but by law he is supposed to get 40 mins.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
Good teachers know to start the year a little more strict because you can always back off a little as kids get used to how things work but starting out too lax and trying to add in more restrictions later doesn't work very well. If your kids have done fine in the past, they will adapt.

Organization, especially for boys, at this age is tough. Color coordinate their folders/notebooks and book covers so it is easy to grab the right things-or better yet, get an all in one trapper keeper so he always has everything with him. If remembering to bring books home becomes a big deal, inquire about getting an extra set of books to keep at home or see if the books are available online (our schools have gone to having classroom sets of books and having online availability at home).

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM

3,172 posts, read 3,361,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It is a parochial school and the resource teacher comes in from the district for a few students. He is supposed to get 40mins daily for resource ; I asked if she could reduce it to 30 mins so he can get to literature on time, but by law he is supposed to get 40 mins.
By law he is entitled to 40 minutes, but if he is not at a public school I doubt that the full 40 minutes is required. I'd try again with this, unless they've already been very clear that it's all-or-nothing. If it's all-or-nothing, I'd talk with his teachers about whether the resource time is still the best strategy if it means giving up lunch time and being late to class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education