Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I am not talking about one particular student, but rather about your generalized pedagogy that doing the work is a better indicator (or the only indicator) of passworthiness than a demonstrated grasp of the material.

It is not unusual for a student with extenuating circumstances to be passed on the sole basis of a final exam.

And, yes, a student who gets a passing grade on normed examinations in Algebra is ready for Algebra II, even if he never hands in a single homework assignment. Solving the problems on the final exam is sufficient to demonstrate a grasp, even with zero "work done" on a day-to-day basis. A passing grade in Algebra means he can solve the problems in Algebra, not that he is willing to obey authoritarian commands, or work according to an arbitrary schedule, or participate in the Algebra Club car wash.

Never ever never did I say this...

so all students just need to show up and pass the final to advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Is this a private school?

Sadly, it is a public school

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Never ever never did I say this...

so all students just need to show up and pass the final to advance?
aren't there other tests during the course of the term? I'm used to having periodic tests...

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
I may have missed something here, but it seems to me the most valuable component for this student is a clearly delineated behavioral support plan. It's the behavioral issues that need to be succinctly addressed. I would think a targeted intervention team meeting is in order with all key players present.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
"your generalized pedagogy that doing the work is a better indicator (or the only indicator) of passworthiness than a demonstrated grasp of the material."

Never ever never did I say this..

?
What else could this mean?

Quote:
how can I do this and not completely SKEW the reality that the student has NOT done enough work to even warrant a PASSING grade...

Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I have been TOLD that my student will be given grades based on what I THINK he knows, NOT on actual work samples.

Now I know this is CRAZY, but how can I do this and not completely SKEW the reality that the student has NOT done enough work to even warrant a PASSING grade...

It's a right to be poor state, aka right to work and unions are not a thought. The entire system is still on the Good Ole Boys network where old family names rule, and the law is inconsequential.
The student is NOT from an influential family, but the administration is...
I'm guessing the student in question in an athlete?

Document everything for a rainy day.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm guessing the student in question in an athlete?

Document everything for a rainy day.

Just an average 3rd grader...

Old 10-09-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What else could this mean?

It means he has ONLY complete 10% of the assignments with a grade less than 60%...can I even give a 60% grade based on only 10% completion?

If 2 people say XX is great, do I then have a right to say 100% of folks agree that XX is great?

If one gets 100% on addition math test, do thay have 100% for the entire course? OR is there not enough work to make a reasonable evaluation?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I may have missed something here, but it seems to me the most valuable component for this student is a clearly delineated behavioral support plan. It's the behavioral issues that need to be succinctly addressed. I would think a targeted intervention team meeting is in order with all key players present.
This is what I was going to say. He may be a bright person, but he needs support to learn to live in a society where things must be "done", tasks accomplished to get by. Even if it's not in a work environment. He will live in a house but thinks it's dumb to clean or do dishes or whatver, and will not be an acceptable housemate for his family or roomates, he'll never be able to hold down a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education