Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 02:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

Footage Of Teacher Donald Wood's Classroom Rage At McGavock High School, Nashville, Tennessee | World News | Sky News

I can definitely see how he could lose it like that. The kids were acting like jerks and he's probably being held accountable for how they do on testing. He can't walk out, and he can't teach them. It's a no win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 PM

18 posts, read 62,533 times
In my opinion, this is simply a case of a teacher who cannot control his class. 95% of a student's perception of a teacher is their ability to control the class and many students prey on these weak teachers. If you cannot control your class, you are simply not cut out to teach and you should seek alternative employment.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Boy View Post
In my opinion, this is simply a case of a teacher who cannot control his class. 95% of a student's perception of a teacher is their ability to control the class and many students prey on these weak teachers. If you cannot control your class, you are simply not cut out to teach and you should seek alternative employment.
What should a teacher have to control? Kids should come into the classroom knowing basic good behavior. There's no excuse for refusing to listen to the teacher.

I had one class that I could not control last year. One out of seven. Should I throw in the towel? Am I not cut out for teaching because I had one group of jerks last year? That class was so bad the principal came in and they dissed him the same way they dissed me. He made them write letters that their parents had to sign about their behavior in class and then suspended anyone who didn't bring in a signed letter. Even after that I struggled with that class. Sometimes you just get a class of jerks. They cram more and more students in our classes and the more there are the more likely it is you'll reach that critical mass of disruptive students who make it impossible to teach.

This year I have no issues. None. The students I have care about their grades and have had the fear of God put in them by their parents. They'd do anything to avoid a phone call home and they know they will be grounded this weekend if their grades aren't up there. Should I throw in the towel because I couldn't control one group of kids last year? Really?? I'm not cut out to teach??? No, I'm not cut out to teach jerks who don't want to learn. I have a lot to offer those who want to learn.

It's just too bad he didn't manage to paddle about 6 of them before they led him away. With classes like this, I think the only thing that works is corporal punishment. My brother had a teacher who paddled him every morning because he just KNEW my brother would do something during the day to deserve it. He rarely failed to live up to the expectation, lol.

Seriously, how do you teach kids like this?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Love those lil' mean ones, they know just how to push teachers buttons. This guy though, has problems, if your life is not in order, you are not going to be able to hold it together in front of this relentless pack of rabble, trying to find a way to get a reaction from you. That is what they like to do...and they are good at it.

The key is control, all the time. I was a mean old bat teacher, with eyes in the back of my head. I knew who the troublemakers were, and when they were rowdy, I sent them far away. You constantly have to take the temperature of a class like that...it is like working in a prison that is about to riot. You anticipate the riot, and then do things to de-escalate everything. This guy, out to lunch...that is why teachers, to stay sane, have to take classes in mental health counseling.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I can see our art teacher erupting like that--he's the kind of guy who would get sand kicked in his face on the beach and the students openly jeer at him when he tells them to be quiet. While he's standing out in the hall greeting students as they come in, the kids in the classroom are overturning chairs and hopping over tables. Then when he comes in to start class, he always threatens to write some detentions but never follows thru. It's too bad, b/c he is a good teacher but just has terrible classroom control. I do think some classes are just like that, but I sure would like to see this man write some of those detentions. And yes, the classes are def bigger and I'm still w/o a teaching job.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I can see our art teacher erupting like that--he's the kind of guy who would get sand kicked in his face on the beach and the students openly jeer at him when he tells them to be quiet. While he's standing out in the hall greeting students as they come in, the kids in the classroom are overturning chairs and hopping over tables. Then when he comes in to start class, he always threatens to write some detentions but never follows thru. It's too bad, b/c he is a good teacher but just has terrible classroom control. I do think some classes are just like that, but I sure would like to see this man write some of those detentions. And yes, the classes are def bigger and I'm still w/o a teaching job.
Oh my gosh. How awful. What the heck is going on nowadays? I went to public school in Miami from grade 3 on and bounced around to many schools including a couple in the absolute worst areas of Miami and I never encountered anything like that. Not even close. Boy howdy have things changed!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM

174 posts, read 516,569 times
That video looks a little suspicious to me. The teacher seems to be playing with the kids a bit. They're laughing but it doesn't seem to be aggressive, in-your-face kind of laughter. Did anything actually get broken? Was anyone in any real danger of harm?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Footage Of Teacher Donald Wood's Classroom Rage At McGavock High School, Nashville, Tennessee | World News | Sky News

I can definitely see how he could lose it like that. The kids were acting like jerks and he's probably being held accountable for how they do on testing. He can't walk out, and he can't teach them. It's a no win situation.
I don't see it as rage at all. It looked to me like the guy was simply having a breakdown. The kids were laughing at first as he clearly wasn't making any sense. Definitely not a case of disruptive students, in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:10 PM

130 posts, read 163,064 times
The problem with the school system is that they depend too much on the teacher's ability to manage the children. The initial teacher of any student is their parents. I believe that the children in the short video never had any semblance of formal teaching of manners from their parents. That's it. We should mandate that children that chronically misbehave should pass some sort of manners class before being put in a classroom and also do community service (to teach other younger children). There is no formal disciplining procedure for students that chronically misbehave. A teacher is not meant to be their parent, as well as their teacher.
The problem is with the school system is that children view education as their right not a privilege, so therefore, you have a bunch of unruly brats in a classroom thinking they can get away with anything.
The worse part is from this short story is that the teacher got punished for trying to reign in control. However, I do agree his techniques for getting control back was way too extreme. Now, due to the children witnessing their teacher get carted off due to his unruly behavior, the children are being rewarded for heckling the teacher and will continue this behavior for the next teacher....
We will never know the whole story about what kind of children he has in his class or how long their misbehavior has been going on.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
We will never know the whole story about what kind of children he has in his class or how long their misbehavior has been going on.
I agree. I have looked for more on this and I'm sure there is more to the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education