Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times

Advertisements

Most people I know who are unemployed or underemployed majored in liberal arts like Sociology or Graphic Arts while business, science, and engineering majors are not having as much trouble finding employment.

Do you think this will effect future college students decisions to major in more practical fields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 PM

198 posts, read 483,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Most people I know who are unemployed or underemployed majored in liberal arts like Sociology or Graphic Arts while business, science, and engineering majors are not having as much trouble finding employment.

Do you think this will effect future college students decisions to major in more practical fields?

They say you shouldn't feed a troll, but I'll bite anyway.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Yes, I do think more practical fields of major will come into play when a future college student thinks about their major. Some of it will come from what they hear in the news, from friends, from family/parents, etc.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
Didn't see anything in the first post that hinted to the possibility of one. Poster who is one will usually have very few posts.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
But I like how you fed this troll!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 PM

198 posts, read 483,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Didn't see anything in the first post that hinted to the possibility of one. Poster who is one will usually have very few posts.
A fair point. Considering the voluminous number of threads devoted to this topic or variations of it, my conclusion was that the OP was trying to flare passions in order to see the same people bash each other over the head with the same arguments that have already been discussed ad nauseam. But, hey, this is an Internet forum. That's what it's here for, so why not? I should have been more judicious with my choice of words.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post

No. Many of the unemployed people I know have very "practical" degrees. The degree itself isn't so important; it's what you do with the degree. And once you have that first job the degree itself really doesn't matter much, other than the fact that you HAVE one, and can make it past the initial screening. Maybe people will stop and think about just how much debt a degree is worth, and won't fall into the trap of "all student debt is good debt." But choice of major itself? No, I doubt there will be any huge change.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,368 times
Let me put it this way...
If you're planning to major in Underwater Basketweaving you may
find yourself in the UC line for extended periods of time.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
There is a limited number of people that can have jobs in "practical" fields too-whatever they might be.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 47,346 times
I don't think that the original posters point is completely true. I know a lot of people who majored in things like sociology, psychology, or even art that have had no trouble getting jobs. Be it that they may not be the best paying ones in the world, most of the people who major in things like art aren't expecting that and don't really care about money. Then I know people like my sister who majored in anthropology and political science and can't find a job anywhere. Then I know just as many people who have majors in scientific fields like engineering or chemistry and also can't find jobs, but some that have. I just don't think your degree weighs much on the probability of a person finding a job unless they major in something completely ridiculous, as a poster said above, "underwater basket-weaving". Otherwise I think that finding a job with one is just as hard or easy for each major. That is just based on what I've seen personally though, so maybe others have seen different. As far as if it will affect what major people decide to pursue, I hope it doesn't, because I'd rather people major in something that they love and want to work in for the rest of their lives than whatever brings in the most money or the best job (if at all). Especially considering that this economic situation isn't going to last forever.

Last edited by Chokhmah; 11-13-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education