Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Some really good points made here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFc...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Thanks for that--I always enjoy and agree with his lectures, but I don't have much hope that change will come--it would seem that schools spend most of their energy and resources on upholding the status quo and many of the teachers are dedicated to that same goal, though most don't realize it. It's just that most of them are people for whom the system has worked very well and they can't imagine what the flaws might be or why there are so many disengaged students.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Thanks for that--I always enjoy and agree with his lectures, but I don't have much hope that change will come--it would seem that schools spend most of their energy and resources on upholding the status quo and many of the teachers are dedicated to that same goal, though most don't realize it. It's just that most of them are people for whom the system has worked very well and they can't imagine what the flaws might be or why there are so many disengaged students.
We have disengaged students because society does not value anything that doesn't give instant gratification. There are other countries that educate well using the same type of system (even more rigid than ours in many cases). The difference is in the attitude of the students towards education.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
That same video was discussed last month in another thread.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with most of what he says in theory. It's the economics of reality that is the challenge.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
That same video was discussed last month in another thread.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with most of what he says in theory. It's the economics of reality that is the challenge.
Reality tends to put a damper on many ideas about how education should be handled. We don't have unlimited funds or resources. There is only so much teachers can handle. How much individualization can you achieve with 170+ students? Without tracking?

At the end of the day, we have to deal with reality.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
I was onboard until the end. He made well reasoned arguments and then ends with statements that he didnt support with either facts or logic.

The one about all great learning has occurred in groups doesn't make sense to me. Maybe its my science background that beats publish or perish into us and thus competition but all of the great inventions and ideas I can think of where the work of mainly individuals. Working towards a common goal but not necessarily together. Discoveries in science are almost always individual, natural selection, quantum mechanical model, medicines, etc all come from the work of individuals building separately on what others have done.

Any one know what he means about group learning?

Maybe he means

Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,249 times
...because parents are too busy on their crackberries to realize what's going on
...because parents are too busy meeting status quo to enrich the lives of their children
...because parents over-indulge their children instead of enjoying the simple things in life
...because parents are too pre-occupied in lala land over the next BMW to lease that they don't
realize their kids are obnoxious brats

There is a lot of "learning" that must occur before we can blame te failing systems. Things such as reading with your kid ALOT, challenging your kid, playing catch outside, eating healthy, going to parks to play safely with other children, go to a museum, spend a day at a zoo ad actually talking about it afterwords, etc... How many kids are going to school with these experiences and continue to be "kids" throughout their childhood??

Last edited by namomof3; 11-30-2010 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: add-on

Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM

174 posts, read 516,765 times
Default Amen to this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I was onboard until the end. He made well reasoned arguments and then ends with statements that he didnt support with either facts or logic.

The one about all great learning has occurred in groups doesn't make sense to me. Maybe its my science background that beats publish or perish into us and thus competition but all of the great inventions and ideas I can think of where the work of mainly individuals. Working towards a common goal but not necessarily together. Discoveries in science are almost always individual, natural selection, quantum mechanical model, medicines, etc all come from the work of individuals building separately on what others have done.

Any one know what he means about group learning?

Maybe he means
EXACTLY - I was on board with this guy and followed him quite well until the end of little lecture for these very same reasons.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
There is no "education" system. There is a system that provides the fundamentals of literacy and arithmetic, which then goes on to indoctrinate people with Big Brother's blab. Critical thinking is considered the most dangerous form of thinking, and dissent is systematically punished.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no "education" system. There is a system that provides the fundamentals of literacy and arithmetic, which then goes on to indoctrinate people with Big Brother's blab. Critical thinking is considered the most dangerous form of thinking, and dissent is systematically punished.

Therefore the LEAST taught and most ignored skill. When will we demand more for our children? Analytical skills and being able to actually solve a problem rather than regurgatating text book answers.
I know other teachers who refuse ANY and ALL answers that are not in the annotated teacher's guide. NO VARIATION is acceptable.
So many systems have prepared scripts in place of actual teaching for educators and if it isnt scripted, it is not addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education