U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,828 posts, read 31,665,817 times
Reputation: 12568

Advertisements

Some really good points made here....


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFc...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,567 posts, read 17,103,417 times
Reputation: 13338
Thanks for that--I always enjoy and agree with his lectures, but I don't have much hope that change will come--it would seem that schools spend most of their energy and resources on upholding the status quo and many of the teachers are dedicated to that same goal, though most don't realize it. It's just that most of them are people for whom the system has worked very well and they can't imagine what the flaws might be or why there are so many disengaged students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,653,656 times
Reputation: 14582
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Thanks for that--I always enjoy and agree with his lectures, but I don't have much hope that change will come--it would seem that schools spend most of their energy and resources on upholding the status quo and many of the teachers are dedicated to that same goal, though most don't realize it. It's just that most of them are people for whom the system has worked very well and they can't imagine what the flaws might be or why there are so many disengaged students.
We have disengaged students because society does not value anything that doesn't give instant gratification. There are other countries that educate well using the same type of system (even more rigid than ours in many cases). The difference is in the attitude of the students towards education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Central CT, sometimes NH.
3,468 posts, read 5,126,901 times
Reputation: 3508
That same video was discussed last month in another thread.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with most of what he says in theory. It's the economics of reality that is the challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,653,656 times
Reputation: 14582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
That same video was discussed last month in another thread.

I don't think you'll find much disagreement with most of what he says in theory. It's the economics of reality that is the challenge.
Reality tends to put a damper on many ideas about how education should be handled. We don't have unlimited funds or resources. There is only so much teachers can handle. How much individualization can you achieve with 170+ students? Without tracking?

At the end of the day, we have to deal with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
 
16,567 posts, read 14,010,954 times
Reputation: 20518
I was onboard until the end. He made well reasoned arguments and then ends with statements that he didnt support with either facts or logic.

The one about all great learning has occurred in groups doesn't make sense to me. Maybe its my science background that beats publish or perish into us and thus competition but all of the great inventions and ideas I can think of where the work of mainly individuals. Working towards a common goal but not necessarily together. Discoveries in science are almost always individual, natural selection, quantum mechanical model, medicines, etc all come from the work of individuals building separately on what others have done.

Any one know what he means about group learning?

Maybe he means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
469 posts, read 1,171,756 times
Reputation: 214
...because parents are too busy on their crackberries to realize what's going on
...because parents are too busy meeting status quo to enrich the lives of their children
...because parents over-indulge their children instead of enjoying the simple things in life
...because parents are too pre-occupied in lala land over the next BMW to lease that they don't
realize their kids are obnoxious brats

There is a lot of "learning" that must occur before we can blame te failing systems. Things such as reading with your kid ALOT, challenging your kid, playing catch outside, eating healthy, going to parks to play safely with other children, go to a museum, spend a day at a zoo ad actually talking about it afterwords, etc... How many kids are going to school with these experiences and continue to be "kids" throughout their childhood??

Last edited by namomof3; 11-30-2010 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: add-on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Hollywood)
174 posts, read 464,017 times
Reputation: 192
Default Amen to this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I was onboard until the end. He made well reasoned arguments and then ends with statements that he didnt support with either facts or logic.

The one about all great learning has occurred in groups doesn't make sense to me. Maybe its my science background that beats publish or perish into us and thus competition but all of the great inventions and ideas I can think of where the work of mainly individuals. Working towards a common goal but not necessarily together. Discoveries in science are almost always individual, natural selection, quantum mechanical model, medicines, etc all come from the work of individuals building separately on what others have done.

Any one know what he means about group learning?

Maybe he means
EXACTLY - I was on board with this guy and followed him quite well until the end of little lecture for these very same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,035,618 times
Reputation: 36073
There is no "education" system. There is a system that provides the fundamentals of literacy and arithmetic, which then goes on to indoctrinate people with Big Brother's blab. Critical thinking is considered the most dangerous form of thinking, and dissent is systematically punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,094 posts, read 23,818,620 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no "education" system. There is a system that provides the fundamentals of literacy and arithmetic, which then goes on to indoctrinate people with Big Brother's blab. Critical thinking is considered the most dangerous form of thinking, and dissent is systematically punished.

Therefore the LEAST taught and most ignored skill. When will we demand more for our children? Analytical skills and being able to actually solve a problem rather than regurgatating text book answers.
I know other teachers who refuse ANY and ALL answers that are not in the annotated teacher's guide. NO VARIATION is acceptable.
So many systems have prepared scripts in place of actual teaching for educators and if it isnt scripted, it is not addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top