Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:48 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Education does not guarantee success. Nor the lack of education doom you to failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Education does not guarantee success. Nor the lack of education doom you to failure.
This.

I had a very low (low to mid 2.xx range, IIRC) in high school. I did slightly better in college, but not much. I've done very well in my young professional life, mainly due to my ability to speak/write (call it - "communicate") very well.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
If someone is driven GPA wont matter.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Bush Jr was an admitted "C" student. John Majors never completed a degree, Bill Gates, etc. Einstein was thought by his teachers to be retarded in grade school. Pleasing the teacher get's you an "A". That doesn't always translate into success in life.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
They can, but it's tougher. It's better to get a good start with education and continue on that path, but I barely made it through high school but later completed one undergrad and two graduate degrees!

So yes, you can do well without an education; but the odds are much better if you have one!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 AM

42 posts, read 86,719 times
Low GPAs don't tell you anything about future success because they can be a product of far too many variables for a polarized response like "yes and no."

Adolescence is a tricky time; bodies are telling kids that they are ready for experiences that their minds are not ready for at all. When you toss in the fact that the adolescent mind has not yet developed the ability to make decisions based on consequences, you have a walking time-bomb that may or may not have a support system at home.

It is the support sysem at home that is a better indicator of later success because if that is absent the student is really going to struggle with decision making, and decision making is ultimately what success is most often a result of.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I suppose that it would depend upon what happens later on in life. Some kids who do drugs manage to kick the habit and turn their lives around. The kids who study but are below average students may succeed *if* they are persistent and learn despite their low grades. Some of these students are dyslexic, too.

Here are some successful people who had bad grades in high school. All of them had dyslexia or another learning disorder.

Henry Winkler
Danny Glover
Cher
Nolan Ryan
Winston Churchill
Agatha Christie
Thomas Edison
Tom Cruise
Harry Belafonte
Bruce Jenner
Magic Johnson
George Patton
Charles Schwab

Albert Einstein

Old 12-05-2010, 11:48 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Bush Jr was an admitted "C" student. John Majors never completed a degree, Bill Gates, etc. Einstein was thought by his teachers to be retarded in grade school. Pleasing the teacher get's you an "A". That doesn't always translate into success in life.
Bill Gates had an excellent high school GPA at his private prep school and a 1590 on on his SATs. And at Einsteins catholic school he was a top performing student even in elementary school.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megiddo9 View Post
I mean do the kids in high school that do drugs, don't really study, or the ones that do study but are still below average students anyways, do they ever get anywhere in life?

I don't know, you decide.

Didn't do drugs, ever, but I barely got out of high school. Had a good SAT score (and a friend in Admissions) and went to college. Graduated from there with a full point over my HS GPA (this was before grade inflation anywhere). Kicked around a bit in management for a couple different industries, went into Naval Aviation, left that, couldn't find work (early 80s recession) and moved to MD and started teaching. Starting my 27th or 28th year in a couple months. Been elected to public office 5 times since 1986 (sat out a couple terms, I was tired of it).
I don't know if the above qualifies as my "getting anywhere in life".

My experience as a teacher shows me that most of the kids, whether good students in HS or not, get somewhere. Sometimes it just takes being out and getting a job. Sometimes it's because what we teach in HS isn't what they want to learn (the current idea of "college for all" comes to mind). Sometimes it's because their parents enable them to be jerks (I have a couple of those this year). Or sometimes it's a combination of the above or something else.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM

285 posts, read 702,940 times
Is it possible? Sure it is, but you'd better have lots of talent and grit. And you'd better have an awesome set of people skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education