Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,105,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megiddo9 View Post
Basically I'm asking if those people you see in high school that act like retards, get low grades, and are possibly doing tons of drugs ever turn their act around.

Some folks I know did. Sadly most did not. Drugs / addictions are difficult to leave behind and many people I knew either died or went to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,799,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Albert Einstein
Einstein did NOT actually have a low GPA. That rumor stems from the fact that his school changed the grading system and people read his GPA incorrectly. In the Catholic School in Munich from ages 5 to 10, his mother reported that his grades placed in at the top of his class. From 11 to 15, he did not do as well because he was not a fan of the traditional teaching methods. Nevertheless, he did well in Latin and Greek and he had taught himself enough math and science to reach university level in math. In his teen years, he had good grades in everything but French. He obtained a diploma for teaching physics and mathematics in secondary schools by the age of 21.

The other legend that says Einstein did not speak until he was over 3 is also incorrect though he did speak somewhat late. He was speaking when his sister was born and he was 2 years older than she was.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM

29 posts, read 120,379 times
College is more important that high school. Employers look at ur grades in college not high school.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,426,708 times
Well, I got almost all A's in high school, went to a top tier university in the country, and still have yet to amount to anything.. I'd wager over half of all people my age in the catagory you mentioned (those that didn't study and did drugs) are currently faring better than me.

Life's too short to waste doing what you hate even if it's what's expected of you or what society deems as "right".. spend more time doing what makes you happy, both for the short AND long run.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM

7,641 posts, read 18,067,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megiddo9 View Post
I mean do the kids in high school that do drugs, don't really study, or the ones that do study but are still below average students anyways, do they ever get anywhere in life?
I think you're talking about two completely different classes of students.

I am one of the first kind of students' brother. He was expelled in 9th grade (repeating it) for bringing a knife to school. Actually, the knife was in the car I had driven him in, and he was wearing the same pants as the day before and decided to take it out when he arrived at school, and so on...it was a joke, but he would have probably ended dropping out anyway, and the result would have been the same. After all, he obtained a 0.7 GPA his freshman year. He was pretty intelligent, but focused most of his attention on his girlfriend from a broken home and never turned in assignments or studied. He ended up working for my dad - very good pay while living at home - during which time he began to experiment with drugs (NOT provided to him by my dad). When my dad passed away unexpectedly and my mom "assumed" ownership of the business, he began to go crazy and out of control. Currently, he is trying to extinguish his prescription drug habit. With our business now failing, he has little prospects for the future, though he was living VERY well when it was successful. However, he still has no sense of time (I gave him the keys to my car to help pull his friend out, telling him firmly that I expect them right back when he finishes, and he ended up driving my car around for 5 hours, making us all late for work and missing a customer).

I personally did poorly throughout most of high school. My average GPA in 9th grade was around 2.7 and in 10th grade, about 2.2. Being charged with mindless "busy work", in a prison-like environment, and knowing that all my coursework was far below my potential kind of turned me off then. For example, I did rather poorly overall in 9th grade physical science, but earned an "A" on the final exam; in 10th grade biology, I did terrible, even getting an F one quarter, but achieved one of the highest grades of my class of 150 on the final exam.

I turned around and began to actually put effort into my coursework in 11th grade, and during my senior year (especially the first semester) I earned good grades. I eventually finished with a 2.833 GPA, which places me in the 43rd percentile of my class. However, I also scored a 30 on my ACT, which got me in rather easily to a small university. Despite the unexpected death of my father right in the middle of the first semester, a brain surgery the fall semester of my senior year that left me temporarily disabled and chemotherapy the spring semester, I ended up graduating summa *** laude on time.

Last edited by tvdxer; 12-08-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 PM

624 posts, read 1,243,952 times
Just because a student can memorize something does not make him/her smart...does it? Do most employers check transcripts and grades? Is getting a high GPA in easy classes a sign of future success? Does doing well on a multiple choice test mean that you will be a good employee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education