Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM

131 posts, read 113,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Students sign contracts?? You do know that no minor can enter into a binding contract right? Actually I suspect not.
It's not legally binding of course, but guidance counselors do this all the time with high school students who have been truant, academically laxed, or demonstrated negative behaviors.

So yes I've been aware of both the fact that students are required to sign contracts, as well as the fact that they're not legally binding.

I just heard last year that they do the same thing in some middle schools, as well.

PS.

This method sometimes is useful in making students feel more responsible for their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDuser13 View Post
I thought education was a privilege, a right, so why are students forced to go and if they don't they send someone to hunt you down? Doesn't make sense to me.
Hmm, let see, I know that when I was a kid I did not want to go to school. I wonder how many other kids feel the same way. And now picture a ountry like The USA with kids like that. What a future!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM

262 posts, read 650,067 times
Compulsory education for children was enacted into law in response to terrible working conditions for children. If you want to get cynical, you could also say that mandatory education for kids is in place in order to foster an extended period of dependence. Before this legislation, "adolescence" as we know it didn't really exist in America.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
It's not legally binding of course, but guidance counselors do this all the time with high school students who have been truant, academically laxed, or demonstrated negative behaviors.

So yes I've been aware of both the fact that students are required to sign contracts, as well as the fact that they're not legally binding.

I just heard last year that they do the same thing in some middle schools, as well.

PS.

This method sometimes is useful in making students feel more responsible for their actions.
So forcing them to sign contracts with no enforceable consequences is going to improve behavior?

One of the single most proven out ideas in not just education but child rearing in general is to never make a threat you will not follow through on.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Because a free education is a priveledge afforded to those in the United States. Many places in the world where they would love an opportunity to get 12 years of schooling. In hopes to avoid a "career" in a sweatshop or prostitution.

Only the stupid and lazy comfortable Americans complain about having to go.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Hmm, let see, I know that when I was a kid I did not want to go to school. I wonder how many other kids feel the same way. And now picture a ountry like The USA with kids like that. What a future!

Then they should have put you in a field with a shovel or hoe. So you can work the land like your forefathers. Who cares if you were 12 or 13.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
It should be a privilege. I don't understand it. There are so many kids at school that cause so many problems because they don't want to be there and then they disrupt the whole class. It's a daily routine. Then all these kids get special treats for just sitting in class for 10 min.and the rest of the kids are left unrecognized because they are not a problem. The parents are ridiculous and use school as free day care. Parents bring kids in late saying they can't get them up and even off the car and have to ask administration to come and get them. Ridiculous!! The education system needs to develop a boot camp where kids that don't want to be in school, keep causing problems, and not letting teachers teach and keeping students from learning go to. Stick these kids in boot camp no consent it's just where you go. They think they are cute and funny they need real discipline.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:24 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwaterfall01 View Post
It should be a privilege. I don't understand it. There are so many kids at school that cause so many problems because they don't want to be there and then they disrupt the whole class. It's a daily routine. Then all these kids get special treats for just sitting in class for 10 min.and the rest of the kids are left unrecognized because they are not a problem. The parents are ridiculous and use school as free day care. Parents bring kids in late saying they can't get them up and even off the car and have to ask administration to come and get them. Ridiculous!! The education system needs to develop a boot camp where kids that don't want to be in school, keep causing problems, and not letting teachers teach and keeping students from learning go to. Stick these kids in boot camp no consent it's just where you go. They think they are cute and funny they need real discipline.
This is five year old thread.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
This "Privilege Attitude" comes from the 19th century at least. Most of the population was rural then. The world can't work that way now.

But our so called educational system still does not explain science and technology enough. Too much emphasis on "literature" and "history".

psik

Old 08-14-2015, 11:16 AM

174 posts, read 124,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think you're correct on liberals choosing certain professions. When I was in engineering (a highly educated field) just about everyone was conservative. As a teacher, I have to keep my mouth shut in the break room. I'm outnumbered many times over .

In my family, everyone with a masters degree is conservative, the PhD's are split 50/50 and those with less than a bachelor's degree (no one has just a bachelor's) are most likely to be liberal. Runs that way with my friends too. The teachers I know, however, are almost all liberal. Only one of my teacher friends is also conservative. Interestingly, she teaches chemistry too.
Interesting. I can't say the same. In my family, it's the ones who never went to college who consider themselves conservative. They spend a lot of time caring about other people's lifestyle and salaries, blame the poor for everything but not big banks, vote against their own interests, blame public schools for their lot in life even though they never applied themselves, and are easily mislead by radio talk show hosts. Of course many of them forget that when they were in school, we still had the vocational classes that lead them to their jobs without needing higher ed.

Notice I say they "consider themselves conservative". My idea of a conservative is one who is centered on fiscal responsibility and could care less about what other people do with their time and lives.

As for education being a right. Everyone should have the right to an education but should treat it as a privilege. Not everyone does, but I do think people have to suck it up and realize that any education is beneficial to our country. I think people need to suck it up in general and realize that a thriving community is better for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education