U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,915,410 times
Default School Uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
Thank god school uniforms don't exist in most schools in America. I realize a couple Catholic/private schools have them. But if they ever hit public schools, there will be an open rebellion against the federal government of United States. A rebellion that will result in massive loss of life. Taking away the right to dress freely in American high schools and junior high schools is the line that we the people of the United States of America draw. Our Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear arms to prevent totalitarianism and rebel against our government if need be. I hope it doesn't come to a rebellion, but we will rebel if necessary. Hopefully things will never come to that though, hopefully school uniforms never exist. And they never will, because if they did, there would be a rebellion. Everyone will rebel, both high school students and your average citizen who has had enough of this totalitarianism in America.
What do your clothes have to do with education? It's usually a distraction, especially the poorer kids who can't afford the latest and greatest shoes, coats and sometimes safer (kids in Detroit have killed and been killed for shoes).

A uniform just like the kind most jobs have or at least a code of dress put you into the work mindset. School should be taken seriously and many more public schools are adopting uniforms.

And again, not as an attack but are you seriously equating uniforms and loss of life?

You can express yourself in other ways than how you dress, you just need to think harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM

61 posts, read 79,338 times
i think if the students have to have a strict dress code, then the teachers and staff should also have to suffer. one time, my teacher bent down to pick up something off the floor and everyone saw she was wearing a thong! D:< DISGUSTING. one of my other teachers wore high heels and a mini skirt everyday.
there should be NO reason for school uniforms. most issues associated with free dress code can be avoided even with relatively loose school dress code. a simple enough dress code that prohibits most seductive clothing ( no heels, no skirts above the knee, no spaghetti straps/bare shoulders ect.) is enough to prevent girls from dressing like sluts if the consequences are strict enough. as for the whole gangster colors thing, if anyone can wear any colors they want, what is the point in gang colors. for instance, the gang color is red. any student can wear a red shirt, so colors are not a good way to identify another gangster. gangsters recognize other gangsters through their behavior, social network, and general clothing (not necessarily colors, but the gang-like style is enough).

Last edited by social bunny; 01-25-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 AM

9,221 posts, read 5,059,889 times
Except social bunny you are wrong. Gangs 100% use colors and particular items of clothing to identify each other and more importantly other gangs' members. Additionally education is the main role of teachers and anything that detracts from that is a waste of time. If you can limit amount of time spent on dress code violations by using uniforms that is inherently better for education.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,808,754 times
Jeezaloo-

Is this thread STILL active? Wow.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM

5,567 posts, read 7,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Except social bunny you are wrong. Gangs 100% use colors and particular items of clothing to identify each other and more importantly other gangs' members. Additionally education is the main role of teachers and anything that detracts from that is a waste of time. If you can limit amount of time spent on dress code violations by using uniforms that is inherently better for education.
Agreed. The schools my kids have attended which require some kind of school uniform or had a very specific dress code (usually it was something like - jeans (no holes and must not be able to see underwear when you bend over or squat down) or blue or kahki pants, plain white or plain blue shirt or school shirt, plain grey or plain blue sweater, white socks, tennis or track shoes, no sweatpants, no tank tops...) had a lot less behavior issues, and when you visited the school it was a lot quieter - more conducive to a good learning environment. I think it's great. I think the reason that more schools choose not to do it is because they know a lot of families don't want to or would not be financially able to spend the money to purchase the clothes.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,481 posts, read 1,343,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3stiny View Post
Before anyone says "it's just clothing":

"it's just just a school uniform that you're forced to wear against your will"
"it's just a curfew that effects everyone"
"it's just surveillance cameras in public"
"it's just getting patted down at airports"
"it's just censorship of 'unsavory' media"
"it's just the government controlling the press"
"it's just the right to hold supposedly 'bad' people without charging them with a crime"

Where does it end? It won't ever end. If we give them an inch, they will ruin America even more so than it already is. The government wants for there to be complete "order" and absolutely no freedoms. It would be easier for the government that way, then they could bend the universe to their will.
you act like this is some nefarious, newly-hatched scheme to ensnare us all into some weird new order. you DO realize that uniforms eliminates a whole variety of problems, mostly gang related? it evens the playing field. it means that no one gets to be fashionable, they just have to -repeat after me- WEAR A UNIFORM. if this is a conspiracy, my corn flakes are up to some sinister business right now.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM

371 posts, read 307,723 times
Students shouldn't be restricted from how they express themselves - from the clothes they wear to the color of their hair. (hey, they rhymed)
But schools are getting ridiculous. Although most don't require uniforms, but at my school there are restrictions on length of the straps on girls' clothes, teachers make you get haircuts and/or shave [at school], no holes in your pants/shorts above your knees and most recently, they adapted a new rule: All students, even girls, are not allowed to wear shorts that don't go down to the knees.
Any violations of these rules, and you either have to wear a jumpsuit for the remainder of the day, or you are sent to ISS. (In-school suspension)

Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,546,949 times
I don't buy the argument that wearing uniforms prepares you for work...you get paid for working. You don't get paid at school.

I agree with sskkc that it's hypocritical to make students but not teachers wear uniforms.

I went to a private school and they decided to institute uniforms my junior year. BUT -- that year the seniors didn't have to wear them. However, the next year the entire school (including the seniors) had to. Totally messed up. If they would have been consistent or fair (or if my class wouldn't have gotten a raw deal), I doubt I would've cared.

Even then, I still wouldn't have minded uniforms that much, but they put additional stupid rules on them just because they could, such as requiring belts for the boys, and shirts to be tucked in at all times... They actually gave people detention for not having shirts tucked in, or not wearing a belt too. They listed the names of people that had detention in the daily announcements, and I did some calculations and couldn't believe it -- the detention list more than doubled once they instituted uniforms.

I even got the entire class minus two people (one was the principal's daughter ) to sign a petition to stop it. Did I actually think they would? No, but I felt it was important to make our voice heard. However, I wasn't prepared for what would happen. I turned it into the school board and made an appointment to present it at the next school board meeting. (and yes, I had contacted them and they agreed to let me come in person to present and explain it.) I went there and nobody showed up -- they had cancelled without letting me know!

Anyway, as a result of this, for all I care, Kearney Catholic High School can burn in hell. Too bad, I used to even like that place before that.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM

5,748 posts, read 7,017,052 times
It's likely that the early struggles your high school experienced subsided after just a couple of years. When my children were preschoolers I remember them putting up quite the fights over rules that thwarted their desires, but the temper tantrums stopped once they knew I meant business. Similarly, I'd bet my last dollar that the detentions slowed considerably once your school's uniform rules were well-understood.

I'm astonished that any private school would fail to require students to wear uniforms with a prominent logo: it's cheap, easy advertising.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 AM

546 posts, read 902,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
HUH? The elementary and middle schools in Tulsa wear uniforms. It works out really well. Parents are not pressured to buy a bunch of expensive clothes for their child to "fit in", gangs cannot display their colors, and the focus is on academics and not what's on a kid's body. It has really cut down on discipline problems. Constitutional rights can be exercised by those over the age of 18. I do not think it applies here.
+1

A lot of kids are bullied due to their clothing or are unable to join certain group because they aren't wearing the right clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education