Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times

Advertisements

I say yes. As a teacher, I have heard a countless number of policymakers and educational "experts" say that students should absolutely not have a right to fail. That if they are struggling or not trying, teachers and administrators should try even harder to intervene and get them on track. This is a good strategy; every method should be tried to help students. But at some point if they are not responding, at what point does it become an exercise in futility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think society -- and schools -- owe it to the kids to keep trying as long as they're still in school. At some point they can choose to drop out; an unfortunate outcome, and ideally one that can be avoided, but that seems to be the ultimate example of right to failure.

That said, I still think there should be programs to entice dropouts to address their educational needs and get their lives back on track, but I don't think that needs to be through the regular schools. I'm not at all well-versed in the ins and outs of that topic, though, so I'll leave it at that!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I say yes also.

Learning depends on the drive and curiosity of the student more than the ability of the teacher. A student who WANTS to learn, who is interested in doing so, will do so on his or her own time, and may know more than the teacher is able to give...because the teacher generally teaches to the slowest student.

in my experience, anyhow.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
I believe that teachers and parents must take more time in assisting the child in why it is good to learn and adjust to the world. Teaching them ethics should go hand and hand with their learning process.

I also believe if a child has the right to fail then we give the student an out and their out should be to learn to the best of their ability then graduate.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:48 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
students should be able to do as they please. If they don't want to go to school, who cares.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Unfortunately, since so few school districts offer any kind of vocational training for those who fail at the academics, there doesn't seem to be any alternative other than to keep them in the classroom. All the money currently spent on remedial classes, graduation coaches, summer sessions, etc would probably do more good if they revisited the idea of vocational education.

As it stands now, kids that are allowed to fail will frequently become a drain on society by needing welfare benefits, housing assistance, food stamps, etc. It would be a better investment to teach them a skill than, say, chemistry or french.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
There's nothing wrong with failing/making mistakes but are we talking about failing a grade? There's something wrong with a child that fails a grade, but it's not just the student. I think that would be failure on the part of the student, the teacher(s) and the parents. Failing a grade in elementary school? High School? Or just doing poorly?

I think kids should be held accountable for doing their own homework and penalized if they don't do it or if their parents are obviously doing it for them. I think what's expected from both the students and parents should be made clear at the beginning of the school year as well as what can be done if there's a problem.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
I say yes. As a teacher, I have heard a countless number of policymakers and educational "experts" say that students should absolutely not have a right to fail. That if they are struggling or not trying, teachers and administrators should try even harder to intervene and get them on track. This is a good strategy; every method should be tried to help students. But at some point if they are not responding, at what point does it become an exercise in futility?
Absolutely. Not everyone can be, or should be for that matter, "college material". We need burger flippers and trash collectors. If a student is so unmotivated, then I say let them fail. They will have to live with the consequences of their decisions. It's a hard lesson- but that's freakin life. We have coddled these kids for so long, that we have created a society of lazy whiners. FYI- I'm a high school Biology teacher, and I have a few that I wish would just drop out already. They are a nuisance to me and the students around them. These particular students all have VERY low F's and are a constant disruption in class. I have my suspicions that a couple of them are only here to sell drugs. Let them fail. It's the bed they made and let them lay in it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Absolutely. Not everyone can be, or should be for that matter, "college material". We need burger flippers and trash collectors. If a student is so unmotivated, then I say let them fail. They will have to live with the consequences of their decisions. It's a hard lesson- but that's freakin life. We have coddled these kids for so long, that we have created a society of lazy whiners. FYI- I'm a high school Biology teacher, and I have a few that I wish would just drop out already. They are a nuisance to me and the students around them. These particular students all have VERY low F's and are a constant disruption in class. I have my suspicions that a couple of them are only here to sell drugs. Let them fail. It's the bed they made and let them lay in it.
That's really unfortunate. They are impeding the learning of those students who want to learn.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:09 AM

53 posts, read 56,765 times
The way I see it, parents, teachers, all the feel gooders are all way over-invested in each child.

When is each child going to be invested in him/herself?

When is education going to be more important to each child than it is to everybody else?

We are creating a society of robots. Everyone got so caught up in self esteem and bruising little egos, that dicipline (self and societal) has been lost. By telling a child from the cradle through life how they SHOULD feel, what they SHOULD do, where they SHOULD go, etc., it has taken all responsibility away from the individual. People grow up confused and unknowing of any meaning of their existance.

Failing is a big part of success. My husband is a very focused individual; driven to succeed. I asked him if he had ever built a canoe. He said no, that's something he has never failed at. He used to build wagons and carts to go flying down big hills, the bigger the better. He told me that's when he learned the value of a good steering and breaking system. Trial and error. Fail and succeed.

Kids no longer have the priviledge of the old philosophy of "Live and Learn". They are constantly TOLD how to succeed instead of finding out for themselves. They lose that natural curiosity because they aren't allowed to use it anymore.

YES, kids should be allowed to fail. They should be allowed to fail, pick THEMSELVES up, and figure out how to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education