Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about using a LiveScribe SmartPen®? If recording the class is legal, then this device could help with his note-taking skills. The pen records audio that is synched to notes written in a special notebook by way of a computer. All you do is touch the notebook at the point you need to hear again, and the audio begins at that moment in the class. You can both compare what he has already written and then fill in the parts that he didn't get the first time. The Cornell Notes format would be very useful for him to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Have you thought about using a LiveScribe SmartPen®? If recording the class is legal, then this device could help with his note-taking skills. The pen records audio that is synched to notes written in a special notebook by way of a computer. All you do is touch the notebook at the point you need to hear again, and the audio begins at that moment in the class. You can both compare what he has already written and then fill in the parts that he didn't get the first time. The Cornell Notes format would be very useful for him to use.
I know he learned the Cornell Note-Taking system last year in a Study Skills class, but because he always works on a laptop I don't believe he ever implemented it. I just did a quick search on Microsoft's site and they have some sample Cornell Notes templates for Word that I'll have him upload onto his laptop.

I like the Livescribe Pen idea, but again I don't think it would work with him using a laptop. I do have Microsoft OneNote on my personal laptop, but haven't used it. I'll see how it is set-up (I think I just saw a Cornell Note template for that too) and maybe it's possible to attach audio files to notes. That may be a terrific idea.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 AM

682 posts, read 2,422,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post

Re: accommodations, I agree that some accommodations do no more than enable a child to learn what others are learning and enable them to show what they have learned. However, I am having a hard time accepting that reduction of work volume and extra time to hand in work in an Honors class, isn't changing the expectations of the class for one individual. If this were a typical class for the general popultaion I might agree. However, in my opinion, being recommended to an Honors class is a privilege, not a basic educational requirement. I don't believe his peers feel it unfair that while they have to write he types, or that he gets assistance organizing his backpack. I do feel that they would see him as receiving unfair advantage for getting graded based on less work in more time.

I really appreciate all your input so far. Thanks.
No -- I totally agree. I was speaking in generalities.

I don't know what classes he's taking, but you might talk to the teacher(s) to find out what their expectations are for A students generally and specifically. For example, to achieve an A on this paper you will do XYZ, for a B you only do XY, etc. To achieve an A in this class you will do ABC, etc. (Do his teacher's have grading rubrics?)

It might not be a bad idea to send rough drafts to the teachers before the next paper or assignment is due, to make sure he's on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education