Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:18 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,209,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
lh,

We live in the city, near the school. I wouldn't put my kids on a 40 minute commute every day.
Apologies in advance for the tone, but, no field trips or bus rides for sports events, etc.? Some of our events are more than two hours away. The students are expected to go before they get on the bus and then wait until they arrive at the destination. Coaches and band directors don't expect students to have to leave practice in order to go. Practice starts right after school and can last up to three hours.

How long do you expect your children to be able to go between bathroom breaks?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,992,924 times
Quote:
lh,

We live in the city, near the school. I wouldn't put my kids on a 40 minute commute every day.
We live exactly 1/2 mile from our children's school and they still have a 45 minute bus ride because of the route the driver must take.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,227,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Apologies in advance for the tone, but, no field trips or bus rides for sports events, etc.? Some of our events are more than two hours away. The students are expected to go before they get on the bus and then wait until they arrive at the destination. Coaches and band directors don't expect students to have to leave practice in order to go. Practice starts right after school and can last up to three hours.

How long do you expect your children to be able to go between bathroom breaks?
I said 40 minute commutes every day.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
We live exactly 1/2 mile from our children's school and they still have a 45 minute bus ride because of the route the driver must take.
We live 3 blocks away and my son is a walker. I wouldn't live in an area where bussing was a necessity. Just my preference.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,348,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Owasso isn't a dangerous place. I would make my kids walk.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,915,950 times
Reading this thread is sort of pathetic.

We're talking about high school students here, not first graders. It's preposterous to think that high school students should be allowed to get up and go to the bathroom all they want in the middle of class. It's highly disruptive to the learning of the others students and to the teacher, and disrespectful. Short of a dire, unforseen emergency, high school students should be able to anticipate their needs to use the bathroom, and do so when opportunities present themselves in between periods.

I don't blame the school for giving detentions to students who vacate class on a regular basis to use the bathroom. If it were me, I'd be more worried about the embarrassment of getting such a lame detention. I served detention many times in high school (most well deserved), and it never really fazed or embarrassed me, but a lame detention for abusing bathroom privileges would have really embarrassed me, and made me feel pretty immature and stupid.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM

I go to college. People don't raise their hands to go to the bathroom. They quietly get up and leave. There is no good reason for schools to act like jails when it comes to voiding one's waste.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:40 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,915,950 times
Quote:
I go to college. People don't raise their hands to go to the bathroom. They quietly get up and leave. There is no good reason for schools to act like jails when it comes to voiding one's waste.
I guess it's changed since I was in school. I don't remember anybody ever leaving my college classes to use the bathroom. There was plenty of time before and after. And if it was a longer class, there was a break in the middle.

College is very different from high school in any case. Part of the administration's job in high school is to keep students supervised and in classrooms rather than roaming the halls at will. A totally 'open' policy at the high school level is pretty unrealistic and can lead to a lot of problems.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:02 AM

71 posts, read 155,285 times
Wow you attend a HS that actually has a comfort room? You are sooo lucky.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,437,677 times
Quote:
This was the policy for most teachers in my high school too. It's amazing how well it worked. When people are given basic freedoms, they don't feel the need to abuse their privileges. And sometimes people would get up and leave just to walk around a bit. But sometimes that's what they needed to do to stay awake, and many teachers realized it was worth letting John or Mary leave for 5 minutes so they could pay attention for the next 45. Workers are afforded breaks so I don't see why the same can't be done for students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education