U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,812,424 times

Advertisements

By what right do public schools get to mandate compulsory homework that interferes with family time?

It is enough that kids must be in school 180 days per year, six hours per day. But by some magic, somehow they have badgered parents into accepting homework standards which are outrageous and do nothing to further the child's actual intelligence or love of learning (in fact, homework does the opposite).

Rote memorization and ridiculous projects don't a fascinating, intelligent human being make.

A well-rounded person might need down time, time to read and reflect, time to play outside, time to devote to sports or music or just do NOTHING. But no, the state run school systems say that homework is mandatory, sometimes starting in Kindergarten.

Where my family resided, homework was given in first grade. I would assist the family member with the 20 pages that were given for the entire week. I encouraged the child to do as much as possible in one sitting so as to leave free time later on. It was painful. And of course it only got worse and more outrageous.

I know high school students who voluntarily get little sleep because they are trying to keep their grades up - they work till 1:00 a.m. - often.

Schools are deadly boring testing institutes to begin with, add homework to the mix and I can seriously see why some kids crack and commit suicide, get into drugs or otherwise rebel.

The other, related subject is the school's expectation that parents MUST help. It's not enough that one person do the work, it now takes a team. If you have more than one kid, your life as parents is pretty miserable because of the schools. If you have lots of kids, it has to be hell! The schools no longer just guilt you into helping, they have some kind of plans that the parents have to agree to. What if you are sick or have a demanding job or DON'T WANT TO DO SCHOOLWORK (again)?

Too bad.

Who has given schools the authority to take over family time and family life in this abusive way?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM

750 posts, read 1,055,129 times
I'm sorry!

I was never forced to do homework with my children.

Maybe you should pull your children out of public school if this is what you are forced to do and you do not want to.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,598,639 times
I've lived 'all over' and my kids have gone to 5 different public school systems in 4 states. They are 8 and 11 now (3rd & 5th grade) and have never been given the burden of school work that I hear about all the time online (even from some in the same grade/school/class).

The problem I hear (and witness) is mostly a marked indifference by the other parents. Yesterday, my third grader's weekly newsletter from the teacher had a note at the bottom stating "If you write a $ next to your initials in their daily planner for today, then tomorrow I will reward your student with $200 in classroom 'dollars'". My daughter told me that 2 students, other than her, received the reward. It takes me about 1 minute to read through the email the teacher sends. 22 other parents couldn't find ONE minute free?

Her teacher has expressed concern that parents are not reading the newsletter. This is the second time she's 'tested' the parents - usually the same ones who complain that they are not notified about various school and classroom happenings in a timely manner.

She has nightly homework (30 minutes of reading - done at bedtime, daily practice of spelling words -about 5-10 minutes, two worksheets per week - 5 to 10 minutes and is supposed to practice her multiplication facts - another 10 minutes). She gets home from school at 3:45. She changes into play clothes (they wear uniforms) and then has a snack while the kids tell us about their day and I go through their 'agendas' and folders, signing what's necessary and tossing what's not. By 4:15 at the latest she's on homework. She's always done prior to 5pm - typically before 4:30. Then she's off to play with her friends or dog until 5:30-6:30pm. Some nights, we have an activity (cooking class, basketball, cheer, etc). Dinner is at 5:30 on activity nights, 6:30 on 'free nights'. She's in the bath now (went in at 7pm) and will have another 30-45 min of 'free time' until bed at 8 (when there's no activity) to read until 8:30 - extend that by half an hour to 45 minutes on activity nights.

My 5th grader has about the same - though he has a bit more daily homework, he's more advanced and generally done by 4:15 with his homework. If he has a special project, we work on that with him after dinner until they are complete - a little bit each night. This week he has 'benchmarks', which means no homework, other than nightly reading. As nightly reading has been a part of their routine since birth, none of us count this as 'extra'. Earlier this month, he turned in a 'special project' that we spent a total of 1 hour on. The assignment was passed out the week prior to Christmas break, but apparently this was too hard on parents so they extended the deadline until the 10th of January (a week after the kids returned). My son and one other were the ONLY ones to turn it in. Thirty plus other parents and students couldn't find ONE hour in 3+ weeks to complete this project - despite a two week holiday from school? They extended the deadline by 5 additional days. Only HALF of the students turned it in on time. The parents of the 'set upon' students with 'too much homework' threw a major fit when it was decided to give those students that turned it in a special reward - two days of recess, to allow classroom time for the 'overworked' to complete their project.

On school nights, my kids have at LEAST an hour of 'freeplay'. I can imagine though that if your child is in daycare for two hours after school each day that having to do homework once they return home is a challenge. But those two hours after school ARE 'freeplay'.

Just because parents work long hours (which is what is ACTUALLY cutting into 'family time', doesn't mean that your child doesn't need to learn multiplication or US History.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,364,878 times
I think I probably come at this from a completely different viewpoint than the OP, but I can sympathize; I don't like homework, either, especially at the elementary level. I don't think schools should have that right (other than a few special projects here and there), and I don't think it's justifiable from an educational standpoint. And the idea that kids can't learn math or history inside of school hours is completely unfounded. I think that homework (at least at the elementary level; I do believe some homework is necessary at the higher grades) is often out of control, is not based on sound educational practices, and isn't worth the time and hassle. If parents want their kids to have more work then that should be their choice, not the automatic default option of the school. First graders should not be given homework, and yes, I will be an annoying parent discussing it with the teacher if it shows up in my son's classroom.

Unfortunately, many parents WANT the homework. There is often the idea that having homework (sometimes even more than the quality of the homework itself) is proof that a school is providing a quality education.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

898 posts, read 1,298,119 times
And people wonder why the educational system has gone down the drain in this country. Those of you parents complaining about homework are going to be the same ones lamenting about how your kids never moved out of the house when they're 30.

You don't want to help your kids with homework? DON'T HAVE KIDS.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM

36,489 posts, read 41,670,258 times
I am ALL FOR homework. It fosters responsibility, independence, and provides additional time for the practicing of skills. And I work in a branch of education (severe/profound developmental disabilities) where homework isn't often assigned.

"Family Time" would be well-used to teach kids that you prioritize responsibilities, and THEN you get leisure time - you work for your free time. Sending the message that assignments are stupid/unnecessary/an infringement on leisure time is a lesson in irresponsibility. It also serves to make kids resentful of those who DO expect this of them, when their parents don't. It sets the stage for "Yeah? Well, my momma says I don't gotta DO homework"-type crap.

If you don't like the way school "infringes" on your child's time, you can always homeschool. However, I suspect that most with this complaint would find that educating their own children infringes upon THEIR leisure time too much. Parents who don't want to help with homework probably also don't want to serve as their children's teachers...and really shouldn't. If, as the OP puts it, the schools are "making parents' lives miserable" because they have to help with homework, I'm guessing parenthood was probably a bad choice.

I agree with MAJOR parental indifference to education being a huge concern. With the population I work with, we require a lot of family input...and it's incredibly hit-or-miss whether or not we get it. As another poster pointed out, we do nightly home communication via a binder the student carries with him or herself to and from school...there is a DAILY update on my part detailing what the student worked on that day, how he or she fared, any behavioral concerns, etc. I only very occasionally get any communication back, or even any indication that the binder has been so much as glanced at. Often papers that needed to be signed, etc. will come back exactly as I sent them; the parent hasn't even looked in the notebook. Ridiculous. If you have a child with profound special needs, it would behoove you even moreso than most to communicate with the people who are teaching him/her and see what's going on with his or her school day.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM

860 posts, read 1,747,248 times
I think Amy Chua would have a bone to pick with you

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,827,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
By what right do public schools get to mandate compulsory homework that interferes with family time?
Put down the tea.

First, no state law compels your child to attend public school. You are free, in all fifty states of this country, to homeschool or to have your child attend private school or charter school. What this means is that if your child attends public school,you have chosen to send your child there, and what that means is that you have agreed to abide by its policies. To make a comparison, if I have chosen to go to Dr. Jones, and she requires me to fast for 24 hours before a test, I am free not to do it -- and she is free to ask me to go elsewhere. Don't like the policies? You are free to go.

In other words, stop playing the oppressed victim.

Quote:
It is enough that kids must be in school 180 days per year, six hours per day. But by some magic, somehow they have badgered parents into accepting homework standards which are outrageous and do nothing to further the child's actual intelligence or love of learning (in fact, homework does the opposite).
No one has ever claimed that homework either raises intelligence or increases the love of learning. Please refrain from absurd overgeneralizations. Studies show that, as with many things, your mileage may vary. Some homework provides useful reinforcement of concepts learned during class. Some homework is an absurd waste of time. Homework, like most other tools, can be used well or poorly.

Quote:

Rote memorization and ridiculous projects don't a fascinating, intelligent human being make.
Rote memorization is hardly practiced in schools today -- much to the detriment of Algebra I students who find they cannot do multiplication without calculators.
Quote:

The other, related subject is the school's expectation that parents MUST help. It's not enough that one person do the work, it now takes a team. If you have more than one kid, your life as parents is pretty miserable because of the schools. If you have lots of kids, it has to be hell! The schools no longer just guilt you into helping, they have some kind of plans that the parents have to agree to. What if you are sick or have a demanding job or DON'T WANT TO DO SCHOOLWORK (again)?
Yes -- how dare families have anything to do with their children's education, particularly since we "outsourced" that function to state-run schools! It is an outrage, I say...an outrage!

Frankly, it should be the teacher's job to teach, the student's job to learn, and the family's job to help him learn.
Quote:

Too bad.

Who has given schools the authority to take over family time and family life in this abusive way?
Two words: you have.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,383,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
And people wonder why the educational system has gone down the drain in this country. Those of you parents complaining about homework are going to be the same ones lamenting about how your kids never moved out of the house when they're 30.

You don't want to help your kids with homework? DON'T HAVE KIDS.
NO-the parents who feel compelled to actually do their kids homework for them are the ones who have kids that live at home until they are 30. The parents who sit dutifully by their child's side and dot every i, cross every t and make sure every answer is correct are the ones who will have totally dependent children.

Those of us who feel that our children should be given homework that they can complete independently are trying to foster the independence our children need so that they are MOTIVATED to live independently. Those of us who feel that half an hour of homework (INCLUDING READING) is plenty for a third grader are trying to teach our children to have interests outside of school that really ignite their passion. They can't do that if they are filling out endless mind numbing worksheets.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,827,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I agree with MAJOR parental indifference to education being a huge concern.
Yes. There is a homeschooler in my former high school who attends one class (specifically science). A teacher friend of mine remarked to her that she's blowing away the other kids. The student thanked her and didn't say anything else, but I know the family. The reason she's doing well? Her family values education. They help her review, they help her study -- they have essentially the opposite attitude to the one I see voiced far too often, of, "Well, it's the school's responsibility," or "It's my kid's responsibility." This attitude may be appropriate when the student is a junior or senior, but before then, it's the parents' responsibility to instill good study habits by modeling them -- teaching the student how to learn and making the responsibility for learning their own -- not just the teacher's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or