Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,835,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just responded to another thread where I mentioned that when it comes to finding that first teaching job it MAY come down to who you know and not necessarily what you know. At the same time I said that when it comes to teaching, especially with No Child Left Behind, the latter is more important. Anyone have an opinion on this? I know a few teachers, in and outside my district and a couple of elementary principals. I have two years left before I graduate with a B.S. in elementary teaching with minors in early childhood, reading and social studies.

Also this same thread mentioned that older folks are more likely to get hired than younger folks. What do you think?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,396,445 times
It's who you know.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM

677 posts, read 4,201,187 times
It's definitely who you know, although sometimes where you went to school helps with that. A friend of mine got her job because the district superintendent (who was in charge of hiring) went to the same college she did. Also, teachers fresh out of college are more likely to get a job because they can be paid less than teachers with experience and/or an advanced degree.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Oh, yes, that's true, too. If you have too many years experience, you are too expensive.

All bets are off, though, if can speak and read Spanish. You jump to the head of the line.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Oh, yes, that's true, too. If you have too many years experience, you are too expensive.

All bets are off, though, if can speak and read Spanish. You jump to the head of the line.
However, I am to assume that if you had many years of experience in another career (not teaching) a recruiter or prinicipal MAY look favorably at it...but certainly you would be paid the same as a 20 something because the 20 something and the older candidate have little or no teaching experience. Again that's my assumption from people I spoke to. I don't necessarily subscribe to that idea.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 PM

677 posts, read 4,201,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
However, I am to assume that if you had many years of experience in another career (not teaching) a recruiter or prinicipal MAY look favorably at it...but certainly you would be paid the same as a 20 something because the 20 something and the older candidate have little or no teaching experience. Again that's my assumption from people I spoke to. I don't necessarily subscribe to that idea.
I believe that would be true for high school math and science teachers, and possibly business and journalism teachers too. But if the other career has nothing to do with what the person will be teaching, I don't think it will help.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM

117 posts, read 506,260 times
Quote:
Hi,

I just responded to another thread where I mentioned that when it comes to finding that first teaching job it MAY come down to who you know and not necessarily what you know. At the same time I said that when it comes to teaching, especially with No Child Left Behind, the latter is more important. Anyone have an opinion on this? I know a few teachers, in and outside my district and a couple of elementary principals. I have two years left before I graduate with a B.S. in elementary teaching with minors in early childhood, reading and social studies.

Also this same thread mentioned that older folks are more likely to get hired than younger folks. What do you think?

Thanks.

If you are applying to a district where the competition for jobs is fierce, who you know will give you an edge. That isn't to say that what you know isn't important. But if a principal is presented with several equally qualified candidates but knows one of them(either personally or through someone else), they are going to go with the candidate that they already know something about. Since you already know a couple of teachers and principals, you have the basis for developing your network. It also doesn't hurt to join a couple of professional organizations, teacher boards and etc. to further expand your network.

There are some instances where newer teachers are more likely to be hired if a district is concerned with saving money. I remember one of my former principal explaining to me that she hired inexperienced teachers for the following reasons. One, because they were more likely to be current in the field. And two, newer teachers are less expensive than experienced ones.So your being new could be an asset in your future job search.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Personally, I would like my child's teacher to have real world experience in the field they teach. I love that because I think a lot of teachers are totally out of touch with how the real world works. But, what's the related real world experience for elementary eduction? For History? For social studies? I can see it for science fields, computer fields, music, PE, however, and I think that would be great to have a former research scientist teach my son science.

But, true, you would still be cheap, because a first year teacher is a first year teacher no matter what happened in their past. They get paid the same. I really don't know what administrators think about 2nd career teachers in general - if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I took one university class towards doing just that and spoke with folks there and they said the 2nd career teachers often didn't last very long. The underestimated how tough the field was. There was a high drop out rate. Many students in my class were already teaching with probation status and they were already saying teaching wasn't for them and they hadn't even gotten their certificate yet. So, perhaps administrators might not want to hire 2nd career teachers if they don't tend to work out.

Seems like if you sub successfully, that would be a way to get a foot in the door.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Personally, I would like my child's teacher to have real world experience in the field they teach. I love that because I think a lot of teachers are totally out of touch with how the real world works. But, what's the related real world experience for elementary eduction? For History? For social studies? I can see it for science fields, computer fields, music, PE, however, and I think that would be great to have a former research scientist teach my son science.

But, true, you would still be cheap, because a first year teacher is a first year teacher no matter what happened in their past. They get paid the same. I really don't know what administrators think about 2nd career teachers in general - if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I took one university class towards doing just that and spoke with folks there and they said the 2nd career teachers often didn't last very long. The underestimated how tough the field was. There was a high drop out rate. Many students in my class were already teaching with probation status and they were already saying teaching wasn't for them and they hadn't even gotten their certificate yet. So, perhaps administrators might not want to hire 2nd career teachers if they don't tend to work out.

Seems like if you sub successfully, that would be a way to get a foot in the door.

I hear what you're saying FarNorthDallas. I will be subbing in my own school district for a fourth year this fall and in another one nearby. From my somewhat limited experience in the classroom of 1st and 2nd graders and even 4th graders I have found myself asking whether I had the energy to do this job full time. Then the next day I would sub and the experience was perfect. I keep telling myself that once I had my own class where I knew the kids and they knew me it would be much easier, not perfect, but easier. I think also that the success or failure of new teachers depends on the support they get from their colleagues and the district as a whole. This is where I believe many new teachers who opt out of the profession fail to do their own homework and check out the district they're thinking of working in or the community it's situated in. Also I think there are many "kids" (I can say that because I'm twice as old as they are) who are trying to get their education degree and don't have any idea what they're getting into. It's after they graduate and start that first job where reality strikes them and turn and run from the school. College can't and shouldn't be expected to get you prepared for everything you may face in the classroom as a teacher. You must have the passion to teach before you pay for your first semseter at college. Sorry to go on.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM

739 posts, read 825,740 times
In virtually all aspects of life, it's who you know that can make a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education