U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,732,777 times

Advertisements

As I have perused the various state forums on C-D, I have come across many threads started by people who claim to be teachers in the various public school systems. Many of the threads concern potential for teaching positions in different states and cities, for example. What has jumped out at me so many, many times however, is not the actual content of the threads themselves, but the abominable grammar, capitalization, and spelling in some of these teacher-generated posts. Seriously, a junior high teacher who wants to find a good-paying job writes, "I don't want to loose my union benefits that I have here," or, "i am tired of living somewhere where its cold all the time," or, "There laying off teachers here now," or even, "I have went to alot of job fairs."

Wow. Someone please enlighten me. Is it that the colleges are passing people through who they shouldn't, and shouldn't this kind of content be covered in English Grammar from about the fourth grade and up? How do they pass high school English Grammar to even make it into college, much less become teachers? It worries me. How can these people correct students when they make spelling or grammatical errors when they do the same thing themselves and apparently don't even realize it?

I won't approach this topic in the actual threads where I see it, because I would be accused of personally attacking someone, and that is not my intent, but honestly, what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:10 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,924,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
As I have perused the various state forums on C-D, I have come across many threads started by people who claim to be teachers in the various public school systems. Many of the threads concern potential for teaching positions in different states and cities, for example. What has jumped out at me so many, many times however, is not the actual content of the threads themselves, but the abominable grammar, capitalization, and spelling in some of these teacher-generated posts. Seriously, a junior high teacher who wants to find a good-paying job writes, "I don't want to loose my union benefits that I have here," or, "i am tired of living somewhere where its cold all the time," or, "There laying off teachers here now," or even, "I have went to alot of job fairs."

Wow. Someone please enlighten me. Is it that the colleges are passing people through who they shouldn't, and shouldn't this kind of content be covered in English Grammar from about the fourth grade and up? How do they pass high school English Grammar to even make it into college, much less become teachers? It worries me. How can these people correct students when they make spelling or grammatical errors when they do the same thing themselves and apparently don't even realize it?

I won't approach this topic in the actual threads where I see it, because I would be accused of personally attacking someone, and that is not my intent, but honestly, what gives?
You will find this problem in any "profession". Don't just pick on teachers. Education in this country is hideous. Standards have been dumbed down for all.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM

7,762 posts, read 9,326,836 times
Well, the younger teachers would have grown up during the era of "inventive spelling", which, in my opinion has done the most damage to English instruction in this country. I don't think it is still used exclusively in schools, but while my children were in elementary/middle/high, they were graded strictly on content, not spelling. It drove me crazy.

However, as has been pointed out countless times on message boards such as this, people do not bother with spelling and punctuation while trying to get a message across anonymously.

Is grammar even a subject in school these days? It used to be taught separately, now I think it's just a chapter in the English textbook.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
Grammar has pretty much been replaced by "holistic" writing, especially at the high school level.

The only English teacher I work with who took a grammar course in college is in his 44th year of teaching.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,273,712 times
Quote:
What has jumped out at me so many, many times however, is not the actual content of the threads themselves, but the abominable grammar, capitalization, and spelling in some of these teacher-generated posts.
Do you honestly think the best way to judge someone's grammar and spelling is by reading their posts on a public forum?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM

163 posts, read 668,356 times
With middle school teachers pushing the concept of getting a C is all you need to pass and defining that being an "average" student isnt a weakness, then you will continue to see a decline in overall ability to have initiatives and goals to want to accomplish anything.

Schools don't teach anything in Florida but how to pass an FCAT test so the teachers get their annual bonus. Creativity, honor roll, and success is now measured on a liberal scale.

I may be an uneducated laborer but even I can see this.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,294,994 times
Quote:
How can these people correct students when they make spelling or grammatical errors when they do the same thing themselves and apparently don't even realize it?
LOL! As illustrated by the awkward composition of the above sentence, I think a lot of folks post on message boards with urgency in order to get an idea across. They do not take the time to reflect upon the composition or to edit. It is almost as if forums elicit a new type of written slang similar to the spoken vernacular.

I don't mean to criticize; likewise I'm sure you can find errors in my writing since I am racing through to leave for work.

I also don't mean to make excuses for others. Grammar usage can often be atrocious LOL! I often cringe when I see the class newsletters sent out by some of my fellow teachers!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Do you honestly think the best way to judge someone's grammar and spelling is by reading their posts on a public forum?
Writing is writing. It should be correct and concise, no matter the medium.

The goal of writing is to get your point across. If -- after slogging through misspellings, poor grammar, sloppy punctuation and lazy capitalization in one post -- I give up and move on to the next post, the author of the first post has failed.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM

10,141 posts, read 14,904,073 times
People are often dashing off responses relatively quickly on these forums; I certainly know the difference between "they're," "there," "their," and the like, but I've made a slip, too. An online informal discussion should not be confused with formal writing, or one's ability to teach (or to write well in a work setting).

Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM

10,141 posts, read 14,904,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Writing is writing. It should be correct and concise, no matter the medium.
I generally attempt to adhere to basic standards both online and off, but I'm not so sure that I agree with this general statement; the reality is that writing changes dramatically depending on forum. That's always been true; take a look at the difference between fiction and non-fiction, for example. Today's teachers are going to need to be aware of the online world (not to mention texting, etc.), and to help their students realize that different venues have different standards. I don't bother using spell-check or editing my CDF posts; I do in a work setting. The tone of an email to a friend is not the same as the tone found in a formal letter mailed to a business contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education