Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Try keeping 146 names straight and get back to me.... How fast could you learn 146 names if you see the kids 26 at a time for 50 minutes a day 5 days a week? It's a daunting task for most of us. I'm lucky that my district uses a computerized attendance system that has the kids pictures downloaded so I can make up seating charts with their pictures. I'd still be struggling with names if they didn't do that.

Seriously, it's Thanksgiving before I have most of my student's names down and then I have them down relative to their classes. If I see one of my 146 students in the hall, chances are I won't remember their name in the few seconds I see them. I often do a minute or so later but I have 146 names and faces to memorize and sort through to figure out who I'm talking to.

Also, you can tell a lot by whether or not your child's teacher remembers their name (unless they are very good at names and most of us aren't).

I know the names and faces of the best students before the term even begins. They stand out.

The first names I get down, after the term starts, are the names of my trouble makers so if I've got your child's name down to the point I know them when I see them in the hall at the beginning of October, there's likely a problem.

The next kids I get down are the good kids who ask questions in class. I'll have their names down by the end of October, easily.

I have to work at the names of the kids who don't participate so if I don't have your child's name down by Christmas, he's probably sitting in my class like a bump on a log.

Teachers always know my kids names . Dd#1 is a drama queen so they know who she is in short order and dd#2 is vying for top student in the district so, teacher's know her by name before they even get her in their classes.
I learn all my students' names on the second day of class--legal limits are 33 per class and 150 overall, although there are years that exceed those numbers initially. I'm trying to model a learning technique that I expect them to use. I am 100% accurate in class that day before the class is over. Every day I practice until I know everyone when they are in class without reviewing. That usually takes me a week or so. There are usually a couple of students in each class whose names I continue to mix up with another student--usually one with a similar name, appearance, or behavior. It takes about three weeks before I know everyone outside class and can greet them in the hall by name.

I've done this every year for 25 years. It gets more difficult as the years go by, partly because of age, and partly because of all the thousands of other names I have stored away. It's particularly difficult when I have more than 150 students, my legal limit. But it is important to me to show the students that I value them. To me, learning their name shows them that I respect them as an individual. I'm fortunate because I do have somewhat of a photographic memory. That is very useful when I have a couple of dozen names like Quandtavious with a silent D!

I understand that many people are not good with names or faces, but I have a definite problem with teachers who don't even recognize their own students now that we are in January. Some never learn their names all year long. To me, that is inexcusable.

It is very rewarding to have a student come back after 15 years and find that not only can I tell them their name, but I can tell them who they were in class with, where they sat, and also recall details about them and their families. It's getting more difficult every year, and I don't always recognize them, but more often than not, I do. It's one of the things that keeps me at the same school--my reward for teaching a child usually comes many years later when I run into them again as adults. They often apologize for their youthful transgressions, and I have to assure them that I understood that they were just kids at the time. Never forgotten but long forgiven!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times
Once upon a time I was an education major and giving parents feedback on their involvment with their children's education was discussed in class(although our professor recommended going about in a roundabout manner lol). This approach is more direct and formal and would dispence of the wordcraft so no one's feelings get hurt.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Sounds stupid to me.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
No. Parents should evaluate teachers.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
No. None of the state's business. Besides, the parent isn't hired to do the job, the parent is deemed responsible due to their position.

What are you going to do next? Fire the parents?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Will teachers likewise be evaluated and retained or terminated based on the evaluation?
Well, the University of Colorado does do the above partially based on student evals of teachers. Turns out, some of the students lie! Big Surprise!

Study: College students lie on faculty evaluations - Colorado Daily

Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 PM

110 posts, read 363,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Try keeping 146 names straight and get back to me.... How fast could you learn 146 names if you see the kids 26 at a time for 50 minutes a day 5 days a week? It's a daunting task for most of us. I'm lucky that my district uses a computerized attendance system that has the kids pictures downloaded so I can make up seating charts with their pictures. I'd still be struggling with names if they didn't do that.

Seriously, it's Thanksgiving before I have most of my student's names down and then I have them down relative to their classes. If I see one of my 146 students in the hall, chances are I won't remember their name in the few seconds I see them. I often do a minute or so later but I have 146 names and faces to memorize and sort through to figure out who I'm talking to.

Also, you can tell a lot by whether or not your child's teacher remembers their name (unless they are very good at names and most of us aren't).

I know the names and faces of the best students before the term even begins. They stand out.

The first names I get down, after the term starts, are the names of my trouble makers so if I've got your child's name down to the point I know them when I see them in the hall at the beginning of October, there's likely a problem.

The next kids I get down are the good kids who ask questions in class. I'll have their names down by the end of October, easily.

I have to work at the names of the kids who don't participate so if I don't have your child's name down by Christmas, he's probably sitting in my class like a bump on a log.

Teachers always know my kids names . Dd#1 is a drama queen so they know who she is in short order and dd#2 is vying for top student in the district so, teacher's know her by name before they even get her in their classes.
I understand that, but dont call me for a conference and have the wrong name!! simple!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Involved parents are good, but aren't always the best...isnt that where the term helicopter parent comes from. Fine line to judge that.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
I do not think that teachers need more paperwork and I assume there would be paperwork involved. I don't see how there could be any consequence attached to any rating of a parent by a teacher either. I would not want to do this as I see teachers and parents as a team. Both should want to educate the child. The relationship between parent and child is different than the relationship between teacher and child, but both relationships are important.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe you are not aware but this was not the idea of school districts but rather a politician. It should be readily apparent from this thread alone that teachers and the majority of school districts would not want to participate in this.

And of course this silliness is proposed by member of the Florida Legislature (motto: "too many freaks, not enough circuses"). Without the Sunshine State, News of the Weird and the Darwin Awards would have no fodder. ::sigh::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education