Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! Some classes are worthless and are worth failing. There is no use memorizing garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Funny I was just thinking this today. Here's a story:

I have one student who has EXTREMELY low English skills (He's ESL), and he makes absolutely no effort to improve his grade. I have tried to help him, drag him in for after school tutoring, gave him homework extensions, tried to contact parents, (parents keep putting me off), and I've exhausted nearly every channel I have to try to get this kid on track. The result: Nothing. He goes to parties late at night and hangs out with friends.

Today in class, my students were working on an assignment and I saw that he was doing nothing. I walked up and asked if he needed help understanding the assignment. He said no, and that he didn't want to do it. he just wanted to go home. he wasn't insubordinate, but just saying how he felt. Finally said to him, "How can I help you if you're not even going to help yourself?" I told him that if he needed me to just raise his hand. He never did.

That was the first time I thought to myself, "If this kid fails, it's not on me. I've tried everything I could." There's a lot a teacher can do, but even then, there's a limit. So yes, there is a right to fail.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
I say yes. As a teacher, I have heard a countless number of policymakers and educational "experts" say that students should absolutely not have a right to fail. That if they are struggling or not trying, teachers and administrators should try even harder to intervene and get them on track. This is a good strategy; every method should be tried to help students. But at some point if they are not responding, at what point does it become an exercise in futility?
Halfway through the school year I would say. If you have informed the student, parents/guardians, administration and if they are halfway through the year and the kid aint trying, then they will be doing the reunion tour next year. Sorry but I have NEVER allowed a student to fail three out of four marking periods and then pass them in the last marking period to pass them for the year. NEVER.

Just today I had a parent conference with a student and grandmom and his other teachers. Kid does nothing, works to his own schedule does things when he wants, etc. I show up 25 minutes late to the meeting because I have more important things to do then waste my time with another conference on this kid. As I walk in, the other teachers were wrapping up, the parent was upset I wasn't there. I told the parent, now you know how I feel EVERYDAY with your child because he feels he can do what he wants, when he wants. I wasn't going to waste my time anymore, since you as the parent were not taking responsibility for him. He will fail for the year, so make arrangements now for summer school. And I walked out....

I don't take crap from lazy kids, and their worthless parents.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
I say yes. As a teacher, I have heard a countless number of policymakers and educational "experts" say that students should absolutely not have a right to fail. That if they are struggling or not trying, teachers and administrators should try even harder to intervene and get them on track. This is a good strategy; every method should be tried to help students. But at some point if they are not responding, at what point does it become an exercise in futility?
I don't see this as lacking today. Students clearly do feel entitled to their "right to fail", and plenty of them are exercising it with glee. Just look at the number of drop outs and downright stupid people with abysmal results coming out of the schooling system. They are apparently all set for a lifetime of McDonald's wages or welfare benefits. Mission accomplished!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Are we talking about high school or college? I firmly believe in a student's right to fail, especially when s/he gets to me. Not only do I have a responsibility to the college and the student, but I also have a greater responsibility - the safety of the public.

High school. The student is on probation for transporting weapons and has "known" gang relations...he does it in every class. I believe the school can only be responsible for so much and then the interventions must come from the community at large.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,409 times
Default Should Students Have A "Right to Fail?"

Quote:

Please...

Failure is not a right nor is it a privelege. Using that kind of terminology to attempt to remove the responsibility from the individual is beyond bogus.

Failure is a direct result of apathy, poor attitude or lack of ability.

That's how it's viewed in the real world of human interaction whether at work, in athletics, or in the family. If anyone can rationalize why it should be different in the classroom, please do.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
What ever happened to learning from our failures?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
High school. The student is on probation for transporting weapons and has "known" gang relations...he does it in every class. I believe the school can only be responsible for so much and then the interventions must come from the community at large.
Agree 100%, but you know that won't happen....

Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Yes. Sometimes the best lessons are learned after failure. Some turn into quitters others stand up and try again. Thats life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education