Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times

Advertisements

The same thing happened here in Wyoming a few years ago, as I recall, except I don't think it was in the regionals or state tourney. A kid refused to wrestle a female opponent based on his beliefs. I felt sorry for him, being put into that situation. There's no winning for the guy in a boy-girl match.

I was a high school wrestler many years ago (in Iowa), and I'd have had a tough time wrestling a girl. It's a rough sport, and I doubt that many guys would wrestle girls with the same intensity that they wrestle other opponents. I know I couldn't have. Pick a gal up and body slam her as I drive my shoulder into her back trying to knock the wind out of her? No-siree-Bob. I wasn't raised to treat women that way. I can remember my coach taking me aside and telling me, "Get out there and hurt him." And I did my best to do just that. Wrestling a girl? I'd have been worried about hurting her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The kid was in a lose/lose situation. He did the right thing!!
The only problem is that he choose to lose without even trying.

I grew up in Judo and Wrestling, I never wrestled a girl in a real match but let me tell you there were some gals in Judo that would straight up throw a guy. This girl was 20-13 and made it to the Iowa State Tournament, she deserved to be there and deserved to get a match.

In this case the girl was pinned by a boy in the next round and Northrup was out of the tournament. I hope he enjoys his values.

Quote:
Herkelman, who won 20 matches this year without receiving a default, said she respected Northrup's decision, and harbored no ill will.A wrestler for eight years, Herkelman has overcome a broken collar bone and numerous bloody noses. That, her father said, proved she needs no protection from the sport's violent aspects.

"She didn't ask for the forfeit; she's not asking for any special treatment," Bill Herkelman said. "(The win) will, probably, have an asterisk. I know she'd have rather wrestled him."
http://www.app.com/article/CN/20110219/NJSPORTS0122/102190368/1006/NJLIFE/Female-wrestler-loses-Iowa-state-wrestling-tournament?odyssey=nav|head

Last edited by Mach50; 02-21-2011 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Why is everyone so positive that the girl would lose? Believe it or not, there are some very strong, very tough gals out there - and as a guy I have learned this the hard way. I regularly go to a gym and there are some very strong & powerful women members. In fact, our gyms leg press and squat records are held by women. More and more women in my age group (20 somethings) are working out ... and they are not afraid to go hard and heavy.

This guy dident want to wrestle the girl because he was afraid of touching her, he dident want to wrestle her because he was afraid of the prospect of losing to a girl.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM

132 posts, read 249,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'd wrestle her.

Seriously, people...have you thought about what it would be like to ask a young high school kid to extensively grope around with a young girl and probably get a raging boner in full public view of a crowd, which includes his parents and peers?

This seems a good example of where liberal emancipation flies into ridiculous conflict with some fundamental aspects of human nature. If we want full equality, why don't we just have high school boys and girls shower together after gym class, too? Surely no unintended consequences will come of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
Unless of course he's heterosexual and normal, in which case he would relish the opportunity.
Normal? You mean no gay tendencies?? If you're familiar with wrestling, it is not unusual for boys to get erections while wrestling, period. Boys often get erections wrestling other boys. It's not necessarily about sexual arousal. And truthfully, its wrong to have girls wrestling against boys anyway. One of the moves wrestlers often do with each other is pin by placing the foreman in between the oponents legs and applying pressure in a hold. It can be extremely uncomfortable and provides an unfair advantage for the female oponent. In this case, if anyone is not straight its definetly the female. So many girls and women seem to constantly want to embrace some kind of internal power struggle against males. It's too bad they can't just enjoy being female.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:11 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,528 times
If he detects erotic overtones from close physical grappling with females, is he conceding that he's engaging in homosexual activities when he wrestles males?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Why is everyone so positive that the girl would lose? Believe it or not, there are some very strong, very tough gals out there - and as a guy I have learned this the hard way. I regularly go to a gym and there are some very strong & powerful women members. In fact, our gyms leg press and squat records are held by women. More and more women in my age group (20 somethings) are working out ... and they are not afraid to go hard and heavy.

This guy dident want to wrestle the girl because he was afraid of touching her, he dident want to wrestle her because he was afraid of the prospect of losing to a girl.

Man..........you must not go to a very good gym.

Just kidding.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wow. People sexualize everything.

Can't even play sports with a girl without sexualizing it.

My money is on the fact that he was worried he'd lose to a girl. This way he gets to look like some big man. Lame.
I don't think the young lady stood a chance.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I don't get the comments "I wasn't raised to treat women that way". An opponent is an opponent. Genderless. To claim that the way an opponent should be treated is based on gender is unsportsmanlike. To further claim that forfeiting because of gender is an act of 'respect' is offensive--to both genders.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,555 times
Believe it or not, some kids have thoughts in their head besides "Dur...me will get boner" and "I don't wanna lose to a gurl."

Assuming he did forfeit according to his conscience, then that is his own worthy victory in and of itself.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Maybe the opposition in the battle field will feel the same way? Or what if there were women sent against American troops? Do they fire or declare a forfeit?

Extreme example you say? Possibly, but until society allows all people to compete, the playing field will never be level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education