Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A high school wrestler in wrestling-crazy Iowa forfeited a tournament match Thursday after refusing to grapple with a female opponent.

"As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner," Joel Northrup said in a written statement, according to the Des Moines Register.

High school athlete refuses to wrestle female opponent – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Maybe he should just admit he was afraid to get beat by a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A high school wrestler in wrestling-crazy Iowa forfeited a tournament match Thursday after refusing to grapple with a female opponent.

"As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner," Joel Northrup said in a written statement, according to the Des Moines Register.

High school athlete refuses to wrestle female opponent – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
This isn't anything new. A couple of our local high schools had female wrestlers in the nineties. And yeah, the boys had to forfeit if they wouldn't wrestle girls. One of the local Christian schools forfeited an entire match. The way I see it, I'd just as soon teams not be coed-- in any sport, after puberty starts to make significant difference in body proportions-- but if they are and you don't want to play by the rules that exist, that's on you.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
This kid is my hero. I'm absolutely sick of this equality crap. It's always one way. Why can't a boy join a girl's high school volleyball team if it's not offered for boys in that particular state?

I can only say that if my son happened to have to wrestle this girl I would encourage him to beat her up as much as possible. Why? Because in reality it's all just a feminist ploy to once again beat down the true group that has NO say in anything anymore, the white, male, middle class christian group. For our group it is now shut up, take it, give in, and pay whatever taxes we can level on you.

I can't believe that after all these years I've come to this conclusion. Hell, I used to be a Democrat that voted for McGovern (yea, I'm that old).

I'm sick and tired of things becoming law just because it makes a certain class "feel good" against any degree of common sense, but backed up by some "intellectual" goofball judge who still admires the weather underground and the black panthers. Common sense, what a unique idea. Long sense annihilated along with our constitution.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
T
I can only say that if my son happened to have to wrestle this girl I would encourage him to beat her up as much as possible.
What a great way to encourage sportsmanship!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
What a great way to encourage sportsmanship!
We're talking sportsmanship here? OK, in the course of a wrestling match, if you've ever watched one, that young man would need to grab and touch the body of that lady in such a way that he would get expelled from school if done off of the mat.

Do you expect him to wrestle the girl different than he would a normal match just because she's a girl? You obviously feel he should in the name of sportsmanship.

That lady has absolutely no business wrestling boys. I don't know what's wrong with her and especially her parents.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
At first reading I said good for him.

Upon more reflection, I am not so certain. The boy had an obligation to his team and his school to wrestle, assuming he was physically capable. That's why he was on the team. If he was unwilling to meet these requirements he should never have joined the team in the first place. Was he unaware the possibility existed that he could be assigned a female opponent?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
At first reading I said good for him.

Upon more reflection, I am not so certain. The boy had an obligation to his team and his school to wrestle, assuming he was physically capable. That's why he was on the team. If he was unwilling to meet these requirements he should never have joined the team in the first place. Was he unaware the possibility existed that he could be assigned a female opponent?
The state of Iowa should never have put him in this position. He adhered to a higher standard than any obligation to his team. This young man acted like a gentleman and kept his honor intact. Problem is, honor outside of the military is gradually evaporating. It's get yours and get even no matter what you have to do or who you have to stomp on in today's "progressive" world.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM

143 posts, read 378,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I can only say that if my son happened to have to wrestle this girl I would encourage him to beat her up as much as possible.
You're assuming that this girl won't fight back.

There's no reason to believe the girl is a bad wrestler and couldn't, to paraphrase you, beat your son up as much as possible.

These wrestlers are paired based on weight, so it's not like a burly guy is paired with a scrawny little girl. I see no reason that any guy should give way to a girl simply because she's a girl.

As for touching or not touching a girl....get over it. I touch my patients in all sorts of manners that would otherwise get me arrested me outside of a clinical setting. I got over that puritanical urge a long time ago. Maybe certain people in Iowa should as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't get the comments "I wasn't raised to treat women that way". An opponent is an opponent. Genderless.
While it should be that way, it is not. I am lucky in that when I was in high school as a wrestler, I didn't have to deal with a situation such as this. There is no such thing as genderless. Boys are boys, girls are girls. There is a difference. I would have been very uncomfortable having to actually wrestle a girl. That's just the way it is. I did play on our soccer team that had to play against another team that had a female player and I again felt bad about having to mark her physically (she was good!), but I wasn't gonna let her get the ball once. That is VERY different from wrestling a female, however.
Quote:

To claim that the way an opponent should be treated is based on gender is unsportsmanlike. To further claim that forfeiting because of gender is an act of 'respect' is offensive--to both genders.
I don't feel as if the male in this case should be condemned for the decision he made.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
These wrestlers are paired based on weight, so it's not like a burly guy is paired with a scrawny little girl. I see no reason that any guy should give way to a girl simply because she's a girl.

As for touching or not touching a girl....get over it. I touch my patients in all sorts of manners that would otherwise get me arrested me outside of a clinical setting. I got over that puritanical urge a long time ago. Maybe certain people in Iowa should as well.
Glade you're not a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education