U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,229,365 times
Default Letter of recommendation for elementary?

Has anyone written a letter of recommendation for a 5 year old to be accepted into charter school? I have been asked to write this type of letter, and other than saying this is a smart, sweet, and well-behaved little girl, I have no idea what to put in this letter. I have never heard of having to do this since we do not live in a competitive area such as NYC and this is not private school. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM

9,602 posts, read 6,535,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Has anyone written a letter of recommendation for a 5 year old to be accepted into charter school? I have been asked to write this type of letter, and other than saying this is a smart, sweet, and well-behaved little girl, I have no idea what to put in this letter. I have never heard of having to do this since we do not live in a competitive area such as NYC and this is not private school. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
No idea what you might say, but... have you looked at the charter school website or their literature? What kind of charter school is it? That might give you a clue about what they are looking for in their students.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No idea what you might say, but... have you looked at the charter school website or their literature? What kind of charter school is it? That might give you a clue about what they are looking for in their students.
I took your advice and went on their website. There is nothing to indicate what they are looking for in a student; however, after looking at the site, I am really concerned because there are no female school board members. Not sure if I should express any concerns since it really isn't my business, but I probably will. What is really interesting to me as a public school teacher is that much of the online literature describes expected parent behavior.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM

7,405 posts, read 3,855,086 times
That sounds like a really bad idea. I can't see a mature, rational adult placing a demand like this upon a five year-old's acceptance into kindergarten/first grade. If the people who run the place are this nutty, I would be worried about the unintended consequences of their pedagogy.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 PM

9,602 posts, read 6,535,658 times
Quote:
I took your advice and went on their website. There is nothing to indicate what they are looking for in a student; however, after looking at the site, I am really concerned because there are no female school board members. Not sure if I should express any concerns since it really isn't my business, but I probably will. What is really interesting to me as a public school teacher is that much of the online literature describes expected parent behavior.
If they are a charter that operates in a disadvantaged area and takes a lot of students in poverty that is probably to be expected.

Curious though, are they by any chance a Waldorf based school? If so, I would suggest looking elsewhere as the Waldorf curriculum is very *new agey* and they don't teach reading until the kids are 8 or 9. This would put kids at a disadvantage if the charter school fails as many do.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:42 PM

I have never heard of the Waldorf based schools, but I am reading between the lines and am concerned about no female members on the board and also parent behavior. It seems to me that the students could be problem children (not that you won't find that everywhere), and the parents could also have displayed problem behaviors. The area is not really disadvantaged but it borders on that type of area. I have already decided that I will express my concerns and leave it at that. Ultimately, I do not make the final decision.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:59 PM

1,937 posts, read 2,838,328 times
While ____ is only five years old some qualities I enjoy is her ability to follow her parents directives to the best of her ability, play nicely with her friends and get along well with my own children.

Her parents are very involved as they take her to story night at the local library. They also attend all our neighborhood get together and we see them at our church on Sunday. Along with ____ they have 3 children between the age of 5 and 15. Two of their children have been recognized at their schools. One was recognized for perfect attendance while the other for A-B honor roll.

I have known the _______ family for the past 8 years as we have lived in the same community.

I am honored they asked me to recommend _____ to your school.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Phone
Email

Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
While ____ is only five years old some qualities I enjoy is her ability to follow her parents directives to the best of her ability, play nicely with her friends and get along well with my own children.

Her parents are very involved as they take her to story night at the local library. They also attend all our neighborhood get together and we see them at our church on Sunday. Along with ____ they have 3 children between the age of 5 and 15. Two of their children have been recognized at their schools. One was recognized for perfect attendance while the other for A-B honor roll.

I have known the _______ family for the past 8 years as we have lived in the same community.

I am honored they asked me to recommend _____ to your school.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Phone

Email

Thanks for this example. Unfortunately, I do not know if I will be able to provide the letter. I have a bad feeling about the school, but, of course, I am not the parent.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM

1,937 posts, read 2,838,328 times
Quote:
Thanks for this example. Unfortunately, I do not know if I will be able to provide the letter. I have a bad feeling about the school, but, of course, I am not the parent.

Have they choosen the school? I am sure they did it after careful consideration. Most people who choose a different school do so because it fits into their beliefs.

What is it about the school that you do not feel right about? Google the name of the school and add reviews.
Example St Helena NYC reviews...

That may help you with what other people are saying.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM

722 posts, read 1,666,265 times
I would just write as honest a letter as possible. That way hopefully she'll get in if she is a good fit and will not get in if she is not a good fit.

I would have reservations about a school that asks for a letter for a 5 year old too, and so my thinking is that honesty might be the best policy for better or worse. Also, I thought that public charter schools had to be lottery based, but I guess not!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education