U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,762,197 times
Default What Is A Traditional School?

What is a Traditional school ?What are its advantages? What is its differences with public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 01:28 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,919,002 times
PS is a traditional school. I am not sure where you are getting the term from.

Dawn

Old 07-28-2007, 06:04 PM

6,950 posts, read 15,943,270 times
A Montessori type of school would probabally not be considered traditional even though it was in a public school system... Some Charter school, or Arts or Technical schools would most likely fall outside of the usual too.

It would probablly be who you were talking to as to what was meant.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 11,627 times
A traditional school is what you can say is the 'public school system' which is the system that majority of schools follow

Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 448,848 times

Pros
1. No girls around to distract from your studies
2. Togas are light and breath well

Cons
1. Extra attention from your male teacher
2. Really out dated maps

I hope this helped...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 PM

10,766 posts, read 8,784,091 times
I think it is a term that is bandied about by some fundamentalist Christian Schools, and the Back To Basics movement. You know, "The Three R's Reading Writing and "Rithmatic", teaching from a "Christian" perspective with "God" and "Christ stuck into every subject from History to Science.

And speaking of Science, they do not teach Evolution. The text books are from "Christian" publishing outlets written by scholars from esteemed colleges such as Bob Jones University and Pensacola Christian College (unaccredited)

They use the Abeka Curriculum. Google it. That's what some are calling "traditional."

Old 02-12-2011, 12:30 PM

68,613 posts, read 57,269,703 times
Some call "Core Knowledge" traditional as well. It emphasizes memorizing lots of facts, and has a cookbook approach, especially to social studies, e.g. in 2nd grade you learn "A", in 3rd you learn "B", etc. G*d forbid a district want to teach, say, state history a different year than the cookbook says to do it.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,011 times
I was educated in the 1940s and 1950s when traditional schools really existed, so unlike many people who currently write on the subject, I actually know what a traditional school is, and most of what is now said about them is wrong. The main feature of every traditional school I attended was that the focus was on text books. It was that simple. We learned what was in our text books. The teachers lectured on the information in the text books. Students studied their text books. We didn't need to memorize the material; we just needed to understand it. We were tested periodically about the chapters we were studying. Everyone--teachers, students, parents, school administrators, politicians--all knew what was being taught: It was in the books. It was a simple, beautiful, effective system. And much better than the current progressive system. Compared to the current situation, we had almost no controversies about testing or evaluation or teacher qualifications or money or political intrusion into school matters. And it was much easier on teachers. They didn't need to be great educators to teach; they just need to know what was in the text books. And it was more efficient; we didn't waste time doing make-work projects or studying extraneous material; we concentrated on our text books. And it worked. People educated in traditional schools built this great country, won World War II, and went to the moon. We went wrong when educators adopted the concepts of John Dewey. We will get back on track when realize Dewey was wrong and go back to the traditional approach based on text books.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM

10,766 posts, read 8,784,091 times
I was not educated in the 40s or 50s, but in the 60s and 70s. We were not taught the truth about anything. The US was always right. The truth about slavery and the treatment of native Americans was down played.

Yes I went to a public school, in a suburb of NYC, and this was what was taught.

Dewey was a visionary IMO.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM

73,372 posts, read 33,588,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Borger View Post
I was educated in the 1940s and 1950s when traditional schools really existed, so unlike many people who currently write on the subject, I actually know what a traditional school is, and most of what is now said about them is wrong. The main feature of every traditional school I attended was that the focus was on text books. It was that simple. We learned what was in our text books. The teachers lectured on the information in the text books. Students studied their text books. We didn't need to memorize the material; we just needed to understand it. We were tested periodically about the chapters we were studying. Everyone--teachers, students, parents, school administrators, politicians--all knew what was being taught: It was in the books. It was a simple, beautiful, effective system. And much better than the current progressive system. Compared to the current situation, we had almost no controversies about testing or evaluation or teacher qualifications or money or political intrusion into school matters. And it was much easier on teachers. They didn't need to be great educators to teach; they just need to know what was in the text books. And it was more efficient; we didn't waste time doing make-work projects or studying extraneous material; we concentrated on our text books. And it worked. People educated in traditional schools built this great country, won World War II, and went to the moon. We went wrong when educators adopted the concepts of John Dewey. We will get back on track when realize Dewey was wrong and go back to the traditional approach based on text books.
Well if that's the case then I attended traditional school as well.
A textbook for every class..even religion (went to Catholic school).

College is still traditional as most classes still require textbooks and that is what is taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education