U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 AM

4,169 posts, read 6,746,595 times
Default Changing schools?

Hi there
My two boys go to Catholic elementary school (11 and 12) since day one. This year has been very bumpy and I dont know weather to switch them to the local public school that is huge or to keep them there.
The reason why I dont know is that we are moving back across the pond within the year ; either in December or def by June 2012. Do I move the kids to public for either 3-9 months and have to get to know kids etc. Or do I keep them where they are for the rest of the time we are here and let them suck it up.

The reason why they hate their school is that since the new principal took over 2 years ago, it has been going downhill. Teachers are openly complaining about the principal within earshot of the kids, one of my sons was suspended in Nov (leant on a loose sink which gave way and principal suspended him for 3 days). Niether of the boys have ever been on trouble before and many kids and parents were shocked. Teachers were shocked also but didnt stand up for my son.
Their grades are good ; one son gets all 4's and the other gets mainly A's and B's. Many kids are leaving this year also mainly to go to public school.

I just dont know weather its worth to move them for more or less a year, get used to a new school, new friends, new teachers and then do it again in a year.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,456,067 times
Transitions are always difficult, and the deterioration of morale and the change in standards due to a new principal does not surprise me; such is the process of the changing-of-the-guard.

If a lot of other kids from the private school will be attending public, you might consider it. Your children might not have such a difficult transition if they already know a lot of the students at their new school and will be seeing some familiar faces on a daily basis. It also depends on the quality of the public school that they will be attending; if it is a low-caliber school, keep them where they are, or consider a different private school in the area. But don't do something desperate out of desperation, it will only make the situation worse. However, if the public school is well-regarded and you have heard good things about it, then I would certainly consider it.

I would worry very little about your sons' transitioning to public, then to a new country. While things will be different, the switch to a public school might actually ease the transition to a new country by giving them a taste of what adapting to new circumstances is all about. In fact, it might actually be a great intermediary step in the transitioning process.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 AM

157 posts, read 23,951 times
I would go to the public school they would attend and check out their programs, i.e., math, science, etc.. If they do not seem to be as advanced as what your sons are in now, I'd have them stay put.

Also, there are so many math programs out there, you want to make sure it isn't something that will be completely foreign to them at the public school. Everyday Math is a nightmare and if your sons aren't using that program and the public school is, they will lose a year of math. If they are using that program, and the public school isn't, it may be a godsend.

I would check out the academics before making the decision. If where you are moving to later is more advanced, you don't want them to lose a year because of the public school not being up to par.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 AM

23 posts, read 21,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
My two boys go to Catholic elementary school (11 and 12) since day one. This year has been very bumpy and I dont know weather to switch them to the local public school that is huge or to keep them there.
The reason why I dont know is that we are moving back across the pond within the year ; either in December or def by June 2012. Do I move the kids to public for either 3-9 months and have to get to know kids etc. Or do I keep them where they are for the rest of the time we are here and let them suck it up.

The reason why they hate their school is that since the new principal took over 2 years ago, it has been going downhill. Teachers are openly complaining about the principal within earshot of the kids, one of my sons was suspended in Nov (leant on a loose sink which gave way and principal suspended him for 3 days). Niether of the boys have ever been on trouble before and many kids and parents were shocked. Teachers were shocked also but didnt stand up for my son.
Their grades are good ; one son gets all 4's and the other gets mainly A's and B's. Many kids are leaving this year also mainly to go to public school.

I just dont know weather its worth to move them for more or less a year, get used to a new school, new friends, new teachers and then do it again in a year.

Any opinions?
Thanks
Unless you are getting your Catholic School Education free, you should have the power of the purse. Threatening to take your child out of the school and your dollars with it should get some kind of response. If not, maybe you should take your concern above the head of the principal to the Clergy management. Private schools are dependent on the dollars of the parents who pay to have their kids there. If you get together with other dissatisfied parents, then you have a kind of UNION-like POWER. You are not in a public school where you may have little power.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicWorker523 View Post
Unless you are getting your Catholic School Education free, you should have the power of the purse. Threatening to take your child out of the school and your dollars with it should get some kind of response. If not, maybe you should take your concern above the head of the principal to the Clergy management. Private schools are dependent on the dollars of the parents who pay to have their kids there. If you get together with other dissatisfied parents, then you have a kind of UNION-like POWER. You are not in a public school where you may have little power.
The diocese here dosnt care. When there was an issue in Nov, I e-mailed, wrote and called at least 4 times. i am still waiting for a response. I have treatened to take them out, but they(the principal) dosnt seem to care. Many people are walking out the doorwith their checkbooks.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM

6,917 posts, read 7,982,850 times
Do your children have a preference? Since where they go is only going to be for a short time, I would allow them some input. One year won't make or break them academically, I wouldn't think. They have some pretty major changes in their futures, so I would probably let them have a say in this.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:29 PM

They are the ones complaining about school. One son complains daily about school, new rules etc. The other son asked to day if he could stay until the end of 7th grade. I am leaning towards leaving them where they are because they will have much harder changes in a year so why not make it easier for them now.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:50 PM

537 posts, read 1,249,439 times
It's unbelievable that your kid would get suspended for leaning on a sink. Isn't it the schools job to make sure everything is in working order? Seems a little extreme.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
It's unbelievable that your kid would get suspended for leaning on a sink. Isn't it the schools job to make sure everything is in working order? Seems a little extreme.
Yes, that really happened. Its a new principal and she feels that punishments should not be debatable. Most people thought it was extreme esp for a child that had never ever gotten a demerit or a phone call home.
But its behind us now and we have to move forward. I just want to make sure that my kids are happy and can do another year there, before our huge move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education