Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
The bubble is that the government just approves all the student loans and the colleges figured this out and raise tuition to ridiculous levels year after year. THen they still complain they are broke.

Tuition is TOO DAMN HIGH!
I'm a fan of lowering financial aid.

The problem with lowering tuition is that it will make college affordable to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm a fan of lowering financial aid.

The problem with lowering tuition is that it will make college affordable to everyone.
Yea but even if college was affordable, not everyone will be able to get accepted into college. If you make it affordable to everyone then you get the best people regardless of socioeconomic background and you don't get all the rich spoiled kids in the Ivy Leagues.

I think they need to crack down on bogus "universities" like the "university of phoenix" and other online colleges. 95% of the people who go there couldn't get into a real college and are just buying their way to a degree - even though they have no money.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Successful businessmen should stick to business and leave the thinking to those that can.
Now that is elitist if I've ever seen it!

Somehow someone that didn't go to college yet made millions, out of which he paid lots and lots of taxes so some could have a college to go to, is unable to think?

I have a long time friend, we met in the early 70's, born dirt poor in West Virginia, barely made it through 8th grade yet started the company that ended up building much of the Interstate Highway system across Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky only to retire with a net worth in the 9 figures was unable to think?

Unable to think it was amazing he had the foresight to to purchase large tracks of land around Orlando in the late 60's and early 70'.

He owned other companies and one of them manufactured the tracks for the Apollo crawler. Here's a photo.

To bad he was to stupid to think but what do you suppose you will accomplish in your lifetime seeing as how you can think and all?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:29 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Now that is elitist if I've ever seen it!

Somehow someone that didn't go to college yet made millions, out of which he paid lots and lots of taxes so some could have a college to go to, is unable to think?

I have a long time friend, we met in the early 70's, born dirt poor in West Virginia, barely made it through 8th grade yet started the company that ended up building much of the Interstate Highway system across Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky only to retire with a net worth in the 9 figures was unable to think?

Unable to think it was amazing he had the foresight to to purchase large tracks of land around Orlando in the late 60's and early 70'.

He owned other companies and one of them manufactured the tracks for the Apollo crawler. Here's a photo.

To bad he was to stupid to think but what do you suppose you will accomplish in your lifetime seeing as how you can think and all?
Well, according to Dostoyevsky, people who think don't accomplish anything at all b/c that's all that they do. Thus, people who are successful are doing more than they are thinking b/c they are producing. Why do I get the feeling that you're actually going to agree with that?

My whole point is that I am getting sick of big business constantly attacking intellectuals and/or education as the reason for all of the ill in the world, that they and all who subscribe to education are doomed, blah, blah, blah.

Moreover, if someone is going to dish it out, then they'd better be able to take it. I actually think that the antagonistic r-ship between business and intellectualism is completely dysfunctional and not good for anyone. However, I'm also not going to sit around and watch intellectuals and education villified once again by a self-interested, arrogant a$$.

Oh, and I'm elite?! Are you actually saying that the billionaire businessman who is, essentially, saying that business is the world's salvation while education is its downfall is not elitist?! Right. He's saying this to save us all. Puh-lease. All this guy needs is a Bible to thump on.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, according to Dostoyevsky, people who think don't accomplish anything at all b/c that's all that they do. Thus, people who are successful are doing more than they are thinking b/c they are producing. Why do I get the feeling that you're actually going to agree with that?
So people who sit around and think, not accomplishing or doing anything, live a parasitical lifestyle? I agree.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You didn't address the argument at all. I don't know where you went to college, but freshman English at the crappy state school I went to drilled us hard in avoiding passing off ad hominem resentment as real argument.

Anyway, Peter Thiel and Bill Gates are a billion times more intellectual than most putzes with a degree in Whatever Studies from Wherever State University will ever be.
You're right. Ad hominen resentment is not a real argument.

At least where I went to school, I learned the meaning of the word "hypocrisy."

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
So people who sit around and think, not accomplishing or doing anything, live a parasitical lifestyle? I agree.
Well, I don't know where you drew the parallel between people who think as being people who "live a parasitical lifestlye," "sit around not accomplishing or doing anything," but, just to be clear, those are your words (and thoughts), not mine.

But you're right; thinkers are parasites, a real detriment to society:

Click image for larger version

Name:	the-thinker.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	78392

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I like Thiel's idea of an "alternative path" for success beyond just college. I agree with StarlaJane about the anti-intellectualism out there these days, but am also very frustrated by the idea these days that college should be all about being "useful" and the drive for boring but "practical" majors, as opposed to those worthless liberal arts degrees that only teach you pointless stuff like how to research, evaluate, write. If all you want is the ability to get a job, then why should you have to spend possibly tens of thousands of dollars and four years just to do it? That said, I wish there was more vocal support from the business community regarding the benefits of a well-rounded education. I think recent focus on framing college as only about getting a job is detrimental to everyone.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
I've thought about this for awhile. Here is the absolute facts about higher education.

Its not what you learn, its who you know.

Lets face it if you want to learn something you can just go on amazon.com and buy a textbook on subject and learn just as much as you would in college. So what is the benefit to going to college? Its meeting other people. Yup, thats it. Thats why people spend hundreds of thousands going to ivy leagues. Those ivy leagues attract high profile companies/individuals which in turn for students results in better connections and opportunities.

Notice in the article it states that peter went to Stanford where he met xyz other people which eventually lead to the creation of paypal.

Thats the benefit of college: meeting others.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 PM

573 posts, read 971,014 times
You know, college might actually help more people if today's corporations didn't continually send every job possible overseas (and I'm not just talking about manual labor or manufacturing) that requires higher education. I know there are those who will say that Globalization is good for everyone. But to this American it seems globalization is only good for countries like China and India. The only benefit on this side of the world is in some corporations pocket.

Sure there are jobs that still pay well where higher education is required and actually have open positions, but not everyone who goes to college is going to be a doctor or lawyer.

Globalization seems to be a very one sided deal that only benefits big corporations and foreign countries.

college seems kind of pointless because after you graduate and if your american they don't want you since you would actually want a livable wage and not slave labor wages they are willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education