Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times

Advertisements

My mom and my aunt both volunteered at our school back in the 60's and 70's. Mom was president of the PTA. They did fund raisers, class parties, helped with the carnival and field trips. We lived in a poor district, but back then, not as many moms worked, even in less wealthy families. Lots of the moms volunteered. I still remember it, and I still appreciate all she did for not just me, but all of my friends.

When my kids started elementary school I followed my mom's example and chose to volunteer as well. We moved several times while my kids were in school and all the schools had volunteers. I was rarely in the classroom, but usually worked in the library, workroom making copies, cutting things out, putting up bulletin boards or answering phones. We had lots of working moms and dads who volunteered as well. They helped out when they could, in whatever way they could. No one was required to do it, and some chose not to, and that was okay.

In junior high/middle school I didn't volunteer much. There wasn't as much need for help. No class parties, bigger library staff, and bigger schools, so more volunteers to spread around. Once we hit high school however, there was lots of need. Not so much in classes, or making copies (that's what student office aides are for) but in the organizations the kids were involved in. My youngest was in band and there is a ton of need for volunteers there. We were actually in two different districts while he was in high school and in both, it was expected and in writing that volunteer hours were expected from each family. Very different amount in the 2 different districts, but still it was asked of each family. No, they cannot require it, and they won't kick your kid out if you don't, and it won't be held against them if you choose to not participate, but without help, it can't happen. Something like marching band requires a huge number of hours. Uniforms must be ordered, fitted and altered, kept organized and cleaned. Equipment and props must be moved and stored. The kids must be fed and kept hydrated. Money for trips must be raised. There has to be chaperon's on every bus, and at all events. This is not just during football/marching season, but during the summer for a week of band camp and weeks of practice before school starts and continues through the spring during concert season. Its extremely labor intensive and could not happen without the help of lots of parents. In both the schools where my son was in band, there were some parents that were never seen, and some that did a ton of work, and some that fell in between.

If you don't want to be asked to do these things, don't let your child join any of these organizations. It sounds to me like you would have a problem with the amount of extra hours your child would have to put in anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I'd suggest that you can choose a very strict no frills academy for your son to attend and provide the much needed social aspects within your own family, which is what you really want. Otherwise you will spend your child's entire academic career miserably railing against the system instead of getting your child the best education he can.
Even some of those schools "encourage" volunteering. In a private school, they can require it. My friend had two kids in a "high academic" charter school, and all sorts of "voluntary" contributions were expected.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Not every private school has work requirements for parents.

I taught at two different private schools. Parents were not required to volunteer at either school. At the second school, there were many volunteers, but they were just that: volunteers. They were there because they wanted to be. While their help was appreciated, they were not considered "better" than parents who weren't volunteering.

We didn't allow anyone, including parents, to stand around and chat in the hallways or to disrupt class.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even some of those schools "encourage" volunteering. In a private school, they can require it. My friend had two kids in a "high academic" charter school, and all sorts of "voluntary" contributions were expected.
Absolutely true, and it's the same here, yet what she describes as wanting for her child is a strict academy setting, not a public school. She wants the school day to be structured-sit in your seat do your work-then go home and play. If she finds that, then perhaps her stance on volunteering will change and she'll be happy to volunteer for THAT school. She just will never be happy or satisfied with a public school.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Absolutely true, and it's the same here, yet what she describes as wanting for her child is a strict academy setting, not a public school. She wants the school day to be structured-sit in your seat do your work-then go home and play. If she finds that, then perhaps her stance on volunteering will change and she'll be happy to volunteer for THAT school. She just will never be happy or satisfied with a public school.
I think that what the OP fails to recognize is that even highly academic schools still do fun things for the kids. My sons go to a very highly academic school and they still have fun events.

In this year's senior class of 250 there were 64 students who were nationally recognized by various organizations. There were 31 National Merit semifinalists 19 National Merit commended scholars, 10 National Achievement Scholars and 14 National Hispanic Scholars. 100% of graduating seniors go on to college.

Yet-they still have time for such fluff activities like homecoming (complete with powder puff football) and spring fling (a spring arts festival) as well as many smaller happenings that are held just for fun. They do not serve ANY academic purpose. They're just for fun. The OP opposes fun at school.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
I'd suggest that you can choose a very strict no frills academy for your son to attend and provide the much needed social aspects within your own family, which is what you really want. Otherwise you will spend your child's entire academic career miserably railing against the system instead of getting your child the best education he can.
I would if I had the money for such an academy.
In my experience that type of school emphasizing classical education without lots of other frills is very, very expensive.

Last edited by syracusa; 04-21-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Yet-they still have time for such fluff activities like homecoming (complete with powder puff football) and spring fling (a spring arts festival) as well as many smaller happenings that are held just for fun. They do not serve ANY academic purpose. They're just for fun. The OP opposes fun at school.
You are right as I really do believe that schools are for learning.

I am absolutely NOT against "fun" or children "socializing" with one another, though admittedly, the word "socializing" gets on my nerves as children don't socialize - they just build friendships and play. I believe free play and close friendships are crucial aspects of childhood and that no child should ever be deprived of those.

However, huge, adult-directed events, institutionalized "fun" and organized groups are mainly conducive to tons of children just zooming around like bees in a bee-hive without anybody having the time to cement any particular friendship with anyone.

It has been my experience that all such organized activities are more of a waste of time than an opportunity for children to nurture friendships the way good friendships should be nurtured. They are expensive, socially superficial extravaganzas made by adults, supposedly in the best interest of children. I do not see much value in such organized events where the bulk of parent volunteering seems to be going.

We have been to quite a few organized events like these and not once could I say that my children really had fun. They were just zooming around aimlessly with zero quality interaction going on.

Alternatively, they always have a blast when we get together with two families who are close friends of ours and who have children my children's age with whom they are very good friends themselves.

This is why I said I would not expect my public school to provide my kids with that kind of "fun" as I know that institutionalized, organized fun is not all that fun for my kids. I can take care of the fun in private, at home.

If the school gives us rigorous academics, that is all I would ever ask of them.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Gotcha.

Are music education and drama classes done by parents at school?
Didn't know that.

I was primarily talking about fluff events not specific classes.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I would if I had the money for such an academy.
In my experience that type of school emphasizing classical education without lots of other frills is very, very expensive.
Even elite private schools have these so called "fluff" events. The tuition at my kids school tops out at over $20K per year for high school. Most parents at elite private schools want the rigorous academic curriculum AND all the extras. I cannot even imagine that a school exists that teaches strictly academic subjects, has no extra curriculars and no school wide social events. It sounds perfect for you but I don't think such a place exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education