Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son did compete against 11/12 graders. He goes to a private school but there are not separate rules for public/private in FL. A student who competes at the HS level must be enrolled in the school, the ms studentsmust be at the same location and have the same administration as the older students in order for younger kids to be eligible to compete.

He was not the only 6th grader out there. Mater Academy, Coral Springs Charter, and Cavalry Christian all had 6th graders also. Wrestling is weight controlled so I don't worry about it as much as I would in lacrosse (the JV coach wants him next year).
There was a 7th grader at a school in our state (rated #1 in the Nation actually) for high school wrestling that won his weight class at the state tournament. In our state you can't compete in high school sports until 7th grade. He probably would have won as a 6th grader if he was allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM

157 posts, read 140,726 times
With the rigors of practice in upper grades, not to mention an increase of intensity, the boy will likely burn out halfway through high school.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
Quote:
Kids play up all the time.

My son is in 6th grade this year and wrestled on the varsity wrestling team in the 112 lb weight class. His coach did not know whether it was permitted by the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) so he had to find out what the rules were.

You need to find out what the governing body for your state is. You need to call them. You need to ask what the rules are with respect to students playing at higher levels. You do not need to tell the person you speak to all the details (school name, AD's son etc...). Stick to the age issue. Is it permitted for a 4th grader to play on the JH team in your state?

Once you find out what the story is then you can decide if you want to go to the school board. If the AD is not breaking the rules there is nothing to tell the school board. If he is then you can decide what to do.

You know what, most parents don't like that aspect of sports. But it happens and you making a big deal out of it can only be bad for your son. If the AD is not breaking the rules and you make a big deal out of it your child will suffer.

I have NEVER heard of parents dictating who is on the A team and who is on the B team. The coach decides that. All you get to decide is whether your child will play (or not). Please do not try to dictate who goes on the A/B teams. That will be very bad for your child.

I wouldn't be "dictating" just suggesting (some of the other parents suggested it). Isn't that what the AD is doing though? Even though he is the AD it is his child who is being bumped up to Junior Varsity a year early. Another parent has requested a meeting with the school board to go over the athletics guidelines. The guidelines are changed quite frequently here. When 80% of the Varsity BB team was caught drinking the night they made it to the state tournament, the rules stated that the members of the team caught were to be taken off the team. The parents of the kids caught met with the administration and school board and it was decided that the kids could just take an alcohol survey, talk with the guidance counselor and everything would be okay after that. Every kid caught played at state. Kind of a "the rules will be changed according to circumstance" thing. Must be a small town thing. I talked with my son who has stated that he wants to keep playing which I have told him he can. As long as he understands that there might be a very little player out there who is 2 feet shorter, 120 lbs lighter and four years younger so just kinda watch out for him.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Didn't you post a few months ago about how you were upset that one of the brightest little girls in your son's class always excelled at every competition? She was allowed to move up in music sooner, ended up legitimately winning every spelling bee, academic competition, if I remember correctly? Now you're taking issue with these talented athletes who are being allowed to move ahead one grade level early?

While I see some validity on both sides of this argument, I fear you are spending far too much time concerning yourself with other people's children. And if other parents are doing it too? That doesn't make it any more productive--you both need to turn the focus back to your own families. The truth is, there is no way to tailor-fit school to be perfect for every child. These very talented 4th graders would be out of place on their current team because they're so much better than the other kids (you said yourself, they have the ball 80% of the time--and that's hardly any more fair) and out of place on the ability-level team because they're smaller. Maybe the coach is trying to make the best of the imperfect options.

Is the truth that you're worried your son will be outshined here?
It seems that my thread question is not going to be answered. If there is no way to "tailor-fit" school for every kid, why is it that some parents can and some can't? That to me is a huge problem in small schools. Certain parents are allowed to change rules, make exceptions to fit/suit their own kids. Whether it is academics or sports, there will always be favoratism. I understand it but have a hard time accepting it.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
It seems that my thread question is not going to be answered. If there is no way to "tailor-fit" school for every kid, why is it that some parents can and some can't? That to me is a huge problem in small schools. Certain parents are allowed to change rules, make exceptions to fit/suit their own kids. Whether it is academics or sports, there will always be favoratism. I understand it but have a hard time accepting it.
Well, I think your thread question has been answered. I can't say if it was the answer you were hoping to hear, but I've read several well thought out responses.

I think in this case, the child in question is an exception, not the rule. He is clearly much more talented than any other of his age. Therefore, he would be out of place either playing on the grade level team, or moving up. You posted in the other thread (where you were upset the academically gifted young lady was outshining your son) that she should be moved into higher grade level classes. I don't see how this would be any different. The coaches are trying to provide a challenge for all kids.

I still maintain that I think you will cause more harm than good by "suggesting" what you think needs to be done with other people's children, or trying to do the job of the coach. That usually does not go over well, and I fear if someone asked your son? He would likely say, "OMG, mom, please do not go up to school and make a big scene."

Don't borrow trouble. This isn't hurting your son. Leave the other child be.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
We have a very small school (180 students K-12). We are having our elementary basketball right now. Elementary consists of 2nd, 3rd & 4th grades. 2nd/3rd play each other and experienced 3rd graders play with 4th graders. The teams are a mix of the three grades. Our Junior High consists of 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th. The Athletic Director/PE teacher in our school has a son in the 3rd grade. This guy already "bumped" a member of his family who is in the 2nd grade up to the 4th grade level. His own son is very good at basketball, has the ball 80% of the time and has the most points. He is already talking about having his son and another very talented 3rd grader play on the Junior High team next fall. That means 4th graders will be playing against 8th graders. Is this even legal? Is it legal for the father/athletic director to choose when he wants his son to play Junior High sports? I'm concerned with injuries. I have two boys playing Junior High bb but don't want them playing against such young kids because of the risk of injury.
It's their choice to play up.

We had two huge freshman play varsity football as well (a heckuva lot more physical than basketball). Note the 3 year age difference?

We used to play sports ALL THE TIME as kids with the neighbors and little brothers and sisters would play all the time with us....4 year + age gaps.

Sorry but I don't see the problem.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be "dictating" just suggesting (some of the other parents suggested it).
The whole A/B thing is very political. You will be causing problems for your son by "suggesting" your child be on the A team. Of course the other parents want you to suggest it. That keeps them from looking like the meddling parent and puts that label onto your shoulders.

PLEASE-for your child's sake do not "suggest" who should be on the A/B team. I am not saying this to pick on you but rather to save your child from being "that nice boy with the crazy parents." This is not a personal attack on you, just my attempt to educate you into the world of sports parents.

EVERY parent wants their child on the A team (myself included). Most are not arrogant enough to suggest it to coaches though. Some are manipulative enough to get another parent to "suggest" it though. I am sure these other parents would just love it if YOU would be the one to make an issue out of it. Then they don't have to be the crazy one.

Let your son go to the tryouts and be on whatever squad the coach wants. Let the other kids just be on whatever squad they are on and go enjoy the games.

Quote:
Isn't that what the AD is doing though? Even though he is the AD it is his child who is being bumped up to Junior Varsity a year early.
The AD is the coach's boss. I am pretty sure the AD will get what he wants. He is not just another parent. Leave it be. This will not affect your child in any way. Just let this other kid play wherever he plays. Please.

Quote:
Another parent has requested a meeting with the school board to go over the athletics guidelines.
Who sets the age guidelines? The school board may not even know what they are. Typically for interscholastic sports the rules are set by the state's governing board. It sounds pretty petty to get all up in arms of over someone else's child being allowed to do something. Kids should play at the highest level of sports where they can be successful.

Quote:
.....Kind of a "the rules will be changed according to circumstance" thing. Must be a small town thing.
It's a sports thing. It happens everywhere not just in small towns. The thing is that if the 80% caught drinking get put off the team the ones who weren't drinking get punished also. Someti

Quote:
I talked with my son who has stated that he wants to keep playing which I have told him he can. As long as he understands that there might be a very little player out there who is 2 feet shorter, 120 lbs lighter and four years younger so just kinda watch out for him.
I don't understand why it's such an issue for you that your son is bigger than this boy. It has nothing to do with your son. He doesn't have to watch out for anyone. He should just play.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
If the real question is whether it's legal or not, report it anonymously to your local investigative sports reporter and let them do the dirty work.

If the real question is whether it's fair or not, then the answer is a simple no. Nothing in life is really fair.

If it's legal and it happens, then your son has no obligation to play any differently than he does normally. If this boy is truly talented enough to play with older kids, then he needs to be physically able to handle what comes with it. So if he gets hurt, then it's on the AD and the coach, not your son.

I wouldn't worry about it any further than that.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If the real question is whether it's legal or not, report it anonymously to your local investigative sports reporter and let them do the dirty work.

If the real question is whether it's fair or not, then the answer is a simple no. Nothing in life is really fair.

If it's legal and it happens, then your son has no obligation to play any differently than he does normally. If this boy is truly talented enough to play with older kids, then he needs to be physically able to handle what comes with it. So if he gets hurt, then it's on the AD and the coach, not your son.

I wouldn't worry about it any further than that.

Now that is an intelligent response and thank you.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The whole A/B thing is very political. You will be causing problems for your son by "suggesting" your child be on the A team. Of course the other parents want you to suggest it. That keeps them from looking like the meddling parent and puts that label onto your shoulders.

PLEASE-for your child's sake do not "suggest" who should be on the A/B team. I am not saying this to pick on you but rather to save your child from being "that nice boy with the crazy parents." This is not a personal attack on you, just my attempt to educate you into the world of sports parents.

EVERY parent wants their child on the A team (myself included). Most are not arrogant enough to suggest it to coaches though. Some are manipulative enough to get another parent to "suggest" it though. I am sure these other parents would just love it if YOU would be the one to make an issue out of it. Then they don't have to be the crazy one.

Let your son go to the tryouts and be on whatever squad the coach wants. Let the other kids just be on whatever squad they are on and go enjoy the games.

The AD is the coach's boss. I am pretty sure the AD will get what he wants. He is not just another parent. Leave it be. This will not affect your child in any way. Just let this other kid play wherever he plays. Please.

Who sets the age guidelines? The school board may not even know what they are. Typically for interscholastic sports the rules are set by the state's governing board. It sounds pretty petty to get all up in arms of over someone else's child being allowed to do something. Kids should play at the highest level of sports where they can be successful.

It's a sports thing. It happens everywhere not just in small towns. The thing is that if the 80% caught drinking get put off the team the ones who weren't drinking get punished also. Someti

I don't understand why it's such an issue for you that your son is bigger than this boy. It has nothing to do with your son. He doesn't have to watch out for anyone. He should just play.
Have you read my last posts? I said that I would not be involved with the meeting as another parent has requested a meeting. My son also told me he wanted to play and I told him he could. I think I've made it clear that I am not going to be raising a "stink". The other parents concerns are far more legit than mine are. I don't think you need to keep picking apart my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education