Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM

243 posts, read 812,851 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

As I sit here in my Junior year of college, I'm curious to know what I should do with my degree or where I should start looking. I recently switched degrees as well. My AA was in Psychology but I changed my BA to Organizational Security & Management (basically Homeland Security stuff). By this Fall, I will be a senior and one year left until I graduate. I'm not sure what I should do. In the end, my total tuition will be around $60,000 or so (maybe less). While all this school is going on, I also have an 11 month old little boy and a husband who is in the Air Force. I quit working when we found out that I was pregnant. So it has been about a year and a half since my last job working at the airport as a customer service agent for a major airline. Daycare is not an issue since my sister has offered to watch my son while I work (for FREE).

My future career goal is to work for the Department of Homeland Security and I have always wanted to start at the TSA level. I want to work my way up into a field agent position (possibly). I have applied before for a TSA position but a few weeks later is when I found out that I was pregnant. They keep calling me for that specific airport but we recently got stationed in a different state. No positions are showing available for the airport that is closest to me. This almost feels overwhelming a bit, even though it shouldn't. But I want to get ahead start on what I can do now and what my future holds.

I have talked with family, my husband, academic counselor, and found my schools Alumni website (Facebook) but no answer has been given.

At this stage of my schooling, what should I be doing as far as getting into my career field?
Should I only be looking at a TSA position?
What are the opportunities I have with my AA and BA degree, as far as job functions and whatnot?
Should I look into continuing my education to obtain a Master's degree?
Do I need to worry about my student loans?

I'm sure I have left something out so just ask me to clarify or answer another question. Thanks in advance for you advice/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Hello everyone.

As I sit here in my Junior year of college, I'm curious to know what I should do with my degree or where I should start looking. I recently switched degrees as well. My AA was in Psychology but I changed my BA to Organizational Security & Management (basically Homeland Security stuff). By this Fall, I will be a senior and one year left until I graduate. I'm not sure what I should do. In the end, my total tuition will be around $60,000 or so (maybe less). While all this school is going on, I also have an 11 month old little boy and a husband who is in the Air Force. I quit working when we found out that I was pregnant. So it has been about a year and a half since my last job working at the airport as a customer service agent for a major airline. Daycare is not an issue since my sister has offered to watch my son while I work (for FREE).

My future career goal is to work for the Department of Homeland Security and I have always wanted to start at the TSA level. I want to work my way up into a field agent position (possibly). I have applied before for a TSA position but a few weeks later is when I found out that I was pregnant. They keep calling me for that specific airport but we recently got stationed in a different state. No positions are showing available for the airport that is closest to me. This almost feels overwhelming a bit, even though it shouldn't. But I want to get ahead start on what I can do now and what my future holds.

I have talked with family, my husband, academic counselor, and found my schools Alumni website (Facebook) but no answer has been given.

At this stage of my schooling, what should I be doing as far as getting into my career field?
Should I only be looking at a TSA position?
What are the opportunities I have with my AA and BA degree, as far as job functions and whatnot?
Should I look into continuing my education to obtain a Master's degree?
Do I need to worry about my student loans?

I'm sure I have left something out so just ask me to clarify or answer another question. Thanks in advance for you advice/suggestions.
First and foremost, you should research what kind of education and background is ideal for your dream position at homeland security.

Second, you can continue onto a Masters Degree since you are getting a BA. A BA is an academic degree, and it implies that you plan to continue to study. But this only makes sense if you find that it will help you obtain your dream job.

Ofcourse, you need to be able to afford what you do. If all your student loans are federal loans, then you need not worry about them until you start working. If they are private loans, then you should determine a longterm plan on how you can and will tackle them.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 AM

Hey NJBest. Yes, I was told that I would not have to pay any loans until I start working so that's covered as well. And you're right; I should do some research and see what positions DHS has and what I want to go for. Makes perfect sense. Thank you!!!

- Anything else you think I should do? Oh and by the way, I'm a 23 year old female. Not sure if that has any affect on anything.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

@NJBest - OK, I have done some research over the past few days and found some information. The DHS has multiple different departments that I didn't even know about. But most of the positions that seem interesting enough only require a BA and/or high school diploma. So, I guess this answers my own question(s) as far as if I should continue or not. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education