Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 15,231,892 times

Advertisements

I posted this question in the discussion thread about "Lay-offs", but I think it will get buried there and can stand alone as it's own thread. Is anybody looking at a raise next year? I'm just curious what other districts are doing. I understand that some districts are on multi-year contracts with raises and step increases negotiated years in advance. We receive new contracts year to year without negotiation. After couple of years without a salary increase (no step or market scale adjustment since Sept. '08) we are looking at receiving step plus 1%. If they need to close a budget gap, that could become step plus a 1% bonus instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 PM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
I'm in Prince George's County, what do you think? Of course were I an administrator I'd be getting a bonus to go with my raise.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
We have regular reviews and raises that are performance-based, but we're private, not a district, and have no unions or collective contract bargaining. It's just like any other private sector job, where we get regular reviews, can request them at any time, and if we've met our mutually agreed upon benchmarks from the previous review, we get the raise.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,046,806 times
Going on third year..without any type of increase...

Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,750,210 times
I work as a Math(s) Tutor and a Substitute Teacher. Higley Unified School District just cut Sub pay from 100 per day to 90 per day. They will save 35,000 Dollars for all of next year. Only half of the school budget makes it into the classroom in AZ. Tucson Unified hasn't raised Sub pay in 11 years. Housing prices did drop 80% while I was gone from 2005-2009. No rent, no mortgage. I doubt the educrat pigs in the front offices can say that, and since most refuse to live in the school districts, where they are employed, they are in very deep debt, and often seemed offended that I am smiling.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,302,479 times
Our illustrious PA Governor, Tom Corbett(sad to say was a college class mate of mine) has asked every district's union to agree to a teacher pay freeze for next year. Some have, some have not. My district's union is in negotiations to do so, but most unions want some other concession, which may not be monetary, as compensation. This is what unions are designed to do: protect the worker.

The downside of this besides not getting a raise, is twofold. Our raise only covered the increase in healthcare costs that we agreed to pay, so now we will actually have agreed to have our pay decreased, and secondly, this affects those within 3 years of retirement, because our retirement income is dependent on the actual salary in the last three years of work. Of course it will not be reported in the newspaper that my union agreed to a pay reduction.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,395,889 times
No raise this year and no step increase. Most likely, I'll take a 3% cut and have to pick up 20% fo the cost of medical insurance for my family IF I manage to keep my job. This works out to be just under a 9% decrease in pay. While I don't like the idea of a cut, I'd rather have a cut than no job. In this economy, any job is better than no job so I'll take it. It's not like I'm going to do better elsewhere in education.

If I do manage to stay in teaching, I expect it will be several years before I see a pay raise, step or otherwise. I'm planning on giving myself a pay raise in three years after my daughter graduates by taking on a second job.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 15,231,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Our illustrious PA Governor, Tom Corbett(sad to say was a college class mate of mine) has asked every district's union to agree to a teacher pay freeze for next year. Some have, some have not. My district's union is in negotiations to do so, but most unions want some other concession, which may not be monetary, as compensation. This is what unions are designed to do: protect the worker.

The downside of this besides not getting a raise, is twofold. Our raise only covered the increase in healthcare costs that we agreed to pay, so now we will actually have agreed to have our pay decreased, and secondly, this affects those within 3 years of retirement, because our retirement income is dependent on the actual salary in the last three years of work. Of course it will not be reported in the newspaper that my union agreed to a pay reduction.
We don't negotiate our contracts. We'll know for sure in just about a week if we will get step + 1%. Due to pay freezes over the last two years (no step or COLA) and increases to what we contribute in healthcare costs, my take home pay (like Ivory mentioned) has gone down. The step increase is the biggest part and from what I understand we are assured of that for next year. I guess the district is in relatively good shape from what I hear from other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education