Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me if they've taken leave from a school district and what is required to do so?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
What type of leave?
Sick?
Personal?
Professional?
Sabbatical?
Family and Medical Leave Act?
Pregnancy?
Bereavement?
General Leave Without Pay?

It would be hard to answer here since every system has different contractual requirements. Check with the HR department of your system (if there is one), your union rep (if there is one) or maybe your principal.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
It's going to be very individual to the school. At my school (private, non-union, no collective bargaining, very different contractual requirements than public), you may take sick, personal, FMLA/maternity, leave (all of which are unpaid, once you go through any accumulated PTO time) without consequence for up to 6 months with written approval. As far as I know, we don't do specific professional leave or sabbaticals (unless they are counted under personal leave). Bereavement is a number of days, and depends on your association with the deceased, as to how long it is. In many of our HR policies, we more closely mimic a private corporation than a public school.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
Check with HR for your school district or school.
I once took a year long leave of absence. I was supposed to pay for my health insurance, but that year would have been credited toward my length of service if I had returned (I didn't).

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
I have taken leave for the following:
1. maternity leave. 6 weeks - used sick leave days I had built up and borrowed from the sick
leave bank.
2. berevement leave. 4 months - unpaid leave to care for a terminally ill family member. I
continued to pay for my health insurance.
3. educational leave - 1 school year - compleated my master's degree. Unpaid leave where I
continued to pay for my insurance and my job was available to me upon return.

I knew a teacher who once took leave from our system for one year to teach in another country.
It was considered educational leave, unpaid, paid her own insurance.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:25 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
I took a half year sabbatical (for education), was paid 1/2 my salary, but made full payment into pension and insurance. Only received 1/2 of my sick days and personal days that year, even though I was technically employed (financially) for 3/4 of my regular salary.

It was the best move/decision/professional growth experience EVER! I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. I did it to coincide with turning 50, 25 years of continuous teaching and needing the last 9 credits to get to the top of the teaching scale. Ironically, my Dad had a stroke and I was also able to clean out, prep and sell his house while on sabbatical~and he lived 600 miles away.

There was a blessing in disguise in that situation.

I would suggest talking to your HR person or Union/Association rep. as to the procedure. If it's not for FMLA, you might be required to give them a certain amount of notice. I had to let my district know by April 30 of the year prior to the one in which I planned to take sabbatical.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Thanks, all! I'll have to find a better excuse than "burnt out".

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
We've had people take them for restoration of health, but they are exceptional cases. One woman had several mini strokes, although she would always bounce back to full capacity, she and her physician wanted to see if job was cause of stress and was ready to write all kinds of documentation for her care for the year she was going to take off. She ended up retiring instead.

Another woman had gone through chemo during the summer and just wasn't physically ready (plus felt she had lost her summer due to treatments) to return in the Fall, and she was allowed to take a semester off for "restoration of health". There have been others, but it is an orchestrated ordeal to accomplish.

Good Luck~if you can get an education leave, go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education