U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 3,274,679 times
Reputation: 1011

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
That was SO NOT a good post.
My answer to your rhetorical statements would be:

SO?????

My point is that just because you have a degree doesn't make you a better person and deserving of respect.
Being a parent doesn't make you a better person and deserving of respect.
What you do makes you deserving of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
My point is that just because you have a degree doesn't make you a better person and deserving of respect.
Now you are moving the goal posts. No one said anywhere on this thread that having a degree makes you a better person. Either you have some resentment or you are just making up strawmen. I am not sure which.

Professionals deserve PROFESSIONAL respect because of their PROFESSIONS. If your doctor is a good doctor and provides a professional service he deserves PROFESSIONAL respect from his patients regardless of whether or not he is a nice person. Same goes for your plumber,your nurse and yes, teachers. All jobs which require varying degrees of training above and beyond what a layperson has.

Quote:
Being a parent doesn't make you a better person and deserving of respect.
What you do makes you deserving of respect.
Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that there is more than one kind of respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 3,274,679 times
Reputation: 1011
One last thing I have to say is parents are deserving of the respect of the teachers, because without us you wouldn't have a job.

One way or another WE pay your salary. If you are in the public school system your wages come from the taxpayers (yes I am a property owner). If you are private school teacher your wages still come from the parents.

So therefore, you (teachers) work for us (parents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
One last thing I have to say is parents are deserving of the respect of the teachers, because without us you wouldn't have a job.

One way or another WE pay your salary. If you are in the public school system your wages come from the taxpayers (yes I am a property owner). If you are private school teacher your wages still come from the parents.

So therefore, you (teachers) work for us (parents).
I don't work for YOU in any way shape or form. I maybe a teacher but I am also a property owner and taxpayer. Based on your reasoning that makes me self employed, I am not. I am contracted by the government to provide a service. I no more work for you than our soldiers and military work for you, or any government worker, "works for you". It is refreshing to see that when you have been shown to be wrong you resort to a tired and disproven argument though.

Seriously, next time you get pulled over by a cop, I would open up with the "you work for me" line and see how well that goes for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
 
1,327 posts, read 3,274,679 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I don't work for YOU in any way shape or form. I maybe a teacher but I am also a property owner and taxpayer. Based on your reasoning that makes me self employed, I am not. I am contracted by the government to provide a service. I no more work for you than our soldiers and military work for you, or any government worker, "works for you". It is refreshing to see that when you have been shown to be wrong you resort to a tired and disproven argument though.

Seriously, next time you get pulled over by a cop, I would open up with the "you work for me" line and see how well that goes for you.


Last time I did get pulled over the cop was very polite. I appreciated him stopping me because my tag had expired (it was way expired too) and he told me "I must be a good driver since I hadn't been pulled over sooner."

I also expect the cops to bust meth heads and bad people to protect me. If something is stolen I report it to them. Yes they work for me.

BTW, isn't the military working for me and all Americans to protect our freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM
 
613 posts, read 807,891 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

The best analogy I can think of would be if you hired a plumber. Would you read an article (or even a dozen on the internet) and think you now know as much about plumbing as they do?
No. But if I called in a plumber for what I believe is a simple leak and he/she tells me all the plumbing in my house needs to be repaired to the tune of $6,000, you bet I'm going to question the necessity of what he suggests.

Imagine if I said to this plumber, gee, I know that all new plumbing was put in only a few years ago and the plumber's reply was "Are you a plumber? I'm a professional plumber and you have no right to question me because you are not a plumber." Obviously, I'd be finding another plumber.

Now, since my child is worth more to me than $6,000 and because my child's education is important, you bet that if the teacher is doing anything I deem harmful in any way, I am going to question him/her about it and go above his/her head if necessary.

If I feel my child's teacher is not teaching adequately, you bet I'm going to question that as well, and again go above his/her head if necessary.

So yes, I think I have every right to question what is going on in my child's classroom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 PM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
No. But if I called in a plumber for what I believe is a simple leak and he/she tells me all the plumbing in my house needs to be repaired to the tune of $6,000, you bet I'm going to question the necessity of what he suggests.

Imagine if I said to this plumber, gee, I know that all new plumbing was put in only a few years ago and the plumber's reply was "Are you a plumber? I'm a professional plumber and you have no right to question me because you are not a plumber." Obviously, I'd be finding another plumber.

Now, since my child is worth more to me than $6,000 and because my child's education is important, you bet that if the teacher is doing anything I deem harmful in any way, I am going to question him/her about it and go above his/her head if necessary.

If I feel my child's teacher is not teaching adequately, you bet I'm going to question that as well, and again go above his/her head if necessary.

So yes, I think I have every right to question what is going on in my child's classroom
Again moving goal posts. NO ONE said you don't have the right and obligation to advocate for your child when there is a problem. You are making up scenarios that were not stated in any of my posts.

As a matter of fact if you reread what I stated it was that parent initially come in thinking they are experts. Now the intelligent choice in both the plumbing and education scenario is to get a second opinion but instead you have decided that because you don't like what the plumber or teacher tells you that they are wrong and you should "go over their head".

Thank you for showing me exactly how you are a partner in your child's education. I am eminently thankful I do not have to deal with this type of parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 PM
 
15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Reputation: 19641
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Last time I did get pulled over the cop was very polite. I appreciated him stopping me because my tag had expired (it was way expired too) and he told me "I must be a good driver since I hadn't been pulled over sooner."

I also expect the cops to bust meth heads and bad people to protect me. If something is stolen I report it to them. Yes they work for me.

BTW, isn't the military working for me and all Americans to protect our freedoms.
Wow! And you called Ivory pompous.

I wouldn't dare to claim that our men and women in the military are my employees. Service does not equate to employment. It is beyond my comprehension that you claim that those brave Americans "work for" you.

Those people are not risking their lives to work for you. You can't fire them, you don't give them orders and you surely have no say in how well they do their jobs.

Soldiers do not work for you, Lambart. Your delusions of grandeur are somewhat offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
 
613 posts, read 807,891 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Again moving goal posts. NO ONE said you don't have the right and obligation to advocate for your child when there is a problem. You are making up scenarios that were not stated in any of my posts.

As a matter of fact if you reread what I stated it was that parent initially come in thinking they are experts. Now the intelligent choice in both the plumbing and education scenario is to get a second opinion but instead you have decided that because you don't like what the plumber or teacher tells you that they are wrong and you should "go over their head".

Thank you for showing me exactly how you are a partner in your child's education. I am eminently thankful I do not have to deal with this type of parent.
And how am I supposed to get a "second opinion" if I have problems with my child's teacher? The yellow pages?

And if I try to work things out with teacher and get nowhere, what would you suggest other than going over her head?

What do you with a teacher who refuses to do anything when your child is being bullied? What do you do with a teacher who thinks the fact that another child took your child's epipen from him and hid it is a MINOR incident?

What do you do with a teacher who doesn't announce a Unit test until 2 days before the test, doesn't have kids take notes, doesn't have kids work on vocabulary and then sends home a sheet the night before and says study all this?

What do you do with a teacher who in the beginning of the year makes you send in a notebook and folder each for Social Studies and Science but at the end of the year the book is pretty much blank and the folders are empty. Hardly anything EVER comes home. What happened to the 300 index cards I had to send in for the kids to write their SS and Science vocabulary? If 15 cards came home all year I'm exaggerating. And it's not because my child isn't doing the work. Other parents have complained as well. And their kids, former straight A students, have failed a number of tests.

What do you do with a teacher who thinks that making 9 and 10 year olds give the teacher food from their lunch boxes is an appropriate punishment for not paying attention? Or taking away recess if the child needs to use the bathroom other than for a scheduled break?

And believe me, this is jus the tip of the iceberg. And this is the first time in my 20+ years having kids in school I have EVER gone above a teacher's head. And I only went to the principal when in reality her conduct really deserves my complaining to the superintendent and the board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 PM
 
874 posts, read 1,349,444 times
Reputation: 788
You forgot a question mark at the end of your last sentence.

I'll pick the side that blames the teachers. lol jk

It can go both ways. Sometimes the student refuses to learn, even if the class is easy. I've had a teacher that most people say is a good teacher, yet he gave me a detention for not showing work on 4 math problems. I learned some things in that teachers class, but he was bipolar and I blamed the principal for not firing him. I blame principals if there are bad teachers, because the principal needs to take note of complaints and fire the teachers with the most complaints.

Parents do, obviously, need to support and push their children do help them enhance their grades, but even then the student might slack off and be ignorant. I guess it all depends on each specific situation. You can't blame every single parent/teacher...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top