U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM

138 posts, read 188,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
As a teacher (and parent) it is getting hard to understand why low test scores are blamed on the teachers...where are the parents!

It's called value-added assessment (VAA). You match student scores to teachers and are then able to determine if a teacher is effective. The top teachers are the "superstars" Michele Rhee likes to talk about and the bottom are on the chopping black. It only takes test scores into consideration b/c those can be put into a computer.

VAA a business tool that politicians believe works in education b/c it works in agriculture & manufacturing fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While I don't think blaming teachers is a good idea, neither is blaming the parents.

Maybe if parents and teachers worked together as a team, the kids would actually get a decent education. Playing the blame game is fun, but not very productive.
It's not the blame game. It's the recognition of responsibility.

I'll side with teachers on this one. Parents tend to view education as something they hire other people to do, along with the yard service. They'll wonder why their kids are not performing well in school, but never consider how their own home environment might be contributing.

I know kids who are participating in extracurricular athletics until 10 at night. And their parents wonder why their grades aren't good.

I know kids who go home and spend hours on FaceBook or the XBox. And their parents wonder why their grades aren't good.

I know kids who never read beyond what is absolutely required of them. Yet you enter their homes and never see a book on the shelves. And their parents wonder why.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
THANK YOU!

It is also why upper income areas spend more per pupil than lower incme schools. MONEY may not be the GREATEST influence, but it sure makes for more resources to benefit the student.
That is incorrect. The inner-city districts spend more money per pupil than suburban ones.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM

624 posts, read 1,046,721 times
Who said test scores are that important? They are only important to the district office and school administrators. These people have little contact with the students. Multiple choice tests are poor indicators of academic success and certainly do no mean anything to life success. Do not be led into the path of evaluating students as a "test score."

Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

613 posts, read 808,310 times
It's the kid's fault
It's the parent's fault
It's the administration's fault
It's the government's fault
We're overworked
We're underpaid
The principal sides with the parents
The parents are too involved
The parents aren't involved enough
I have to do grades
I have to do paperwork
I have to do behavioral charts
I'm a babysitter
I have to attend meetings
I have to work 15 minutes past my contractual time twice a year
I only get summers off, Christmas vacation, Easter Vacation, Winter break, and every bank holiday plus some off
I work more than 40 hours a week
I have to TEACH
Blah, blah blah!
Whine, Whine, Whine!

Get out the violin

I know of no other 'profession' where on a daily basis the employees are whining on a public forum about how bad they have it and how it's everybody else's fault

Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
THANK YOU!

It is also why upper income areas spend more per pupil than lower incme schools. MONEY may not be the GREATEST influence, but it sure makes for more resources to benefit the student.
in new jersey, from what i have seen the highest per pupil spending is in the worst areas and it amounts to nothing but wasted money.

its 100% the parents fault.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,717,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
It's the kid's fault
It's the parent's fault
It's the administration's fault
It's the government's fault
We're overworked
We're underpaid
The principal sides with the parents
The parents are too involved
The parents aren't involved enough
I have to do grades
I have to do paperwork
I have to do behavioral charts
I'm a babysitter
I have to attend meetings
I have to work 15 minutes past my contractual time twice a year
I only get summers off, Christmas vacation, Easter Vacation, Winter break, and every bank holiday plus some off
I work more than 40 hours a week
I have to TEACH
Blah, blah blah!
Whine, Whine, Whine!

Get out the violin

I know of no other 'profession' where on a daily basis the employees are whining on a public forum about how bad they have it and how it's everybody else's fault
I know of no other profession that is blamed for societal ills like teaching is...or told they work part time...or told they don't deserve their pay...and is openly dissed by just about everyone. When you're kicked enough times, you start to kick back.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I know of no other profession that is blamed for societal ills like teaching is...or told they work part time...or told they don't deserve their pay...and is openly dissed by just about everyone. When you're kicked enough times, you start to kick back.
i think its the other way around. the taxpayers have been kicked long enough and are starting to fight back.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM

613 posts, read 808,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
All the complaining and whining is having an opposite effect on the public; instead of earning respect, you're losing it. You're all beginning to sound like the spoiled, entitled, accept no responsibility, "special snowflakes" that you supposedly teach.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,717,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
All the complaining and whining is having an opposite effect on the public; instead of earning respect, you're losing it. You're all beginning to sound like the spoiled, entitled, accept no responsibility, "special snowflakes" that you supposedly teach.
We can't win here, can we? Because we won't quietly take our beating, we must be a bunch of whiners.

It'e people like you who drive good teachers out of the profession. Why should I be disrespected as a teacher when I can be respected as an engineer?

Before I became a teacher, I did not have to defend my profession, I did not have strangers on the street telling me how I'm doing my job wrong...people, gasp, considered ME the expert in my profession and left me to do my job. In teaching everying has their fingers in the pie but they want to blame the teachers. You'd complain too if you were treated like we are.

How are teachers acting spoiled and entitled? I work more hours as a teacher than I ever drempt of as an engineer for half the pay. ... and you call me spoiled and entitled?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or