Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 AM

613 posts, read 991,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I know I work for a broken system but it is the SYSTEM that is broken not me. Quit attacking me.
Then quit attacking the parents! After all, the title of this thread is "Blame the Parents!!", isn't it? If you want parents on your side, you need to stop what you're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Then quit attacking the parents! After all, the title of this thread is "Blame the Parents!!", isn't it? If you want parents on your side, you need to stop what you're doing.
What's wrong with pointing out the problem?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Teachers can only do so much. Their work day should end too.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
What's wrong with pointing out the problem?
The problem was not correctly identified.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post

But the parents often are to blame. Certainly WAY MORE to blame than teachers. Parents have tremendously more influence than teachers. Unfortunately, what the parents do or don't do has way more impact than what I do or don't do. THAT is something that society needs to accept when evaluating schools/teachers. IF we want schools to have more influence than parents, then we need to, drastically, increase the amount of time children are in school so we can reduce the time they are with their parents.

I don't want the parents on my side. I want them on their children's side. Parents who teach their children to take responsibility for their own learning and be respectful, to view education as a privlidge, and who hold their children accountable can do way more for education than I and all the other teachers could ever hope to.

Parents are blamed because parents have the power!!!!! Teachers don't have the power or the resources if they did have the power. Gee, who should we blame?

I am here to teach. I cannot, however, make your child pay attention, do their homework or think. The only power I have lies in the grades your child earns, however, if your child is not motivated by grades, I have no power at all. I continue to teach whether your child pays attention or not because other students do pay attention and do do their work. I teach for them. There is only so much I can do with what I have available with students who don't do their work.

I have one who doesn't do her work. We've decided that she can live with the consequences of that. I do not blame any one of her teachers for her lack of accomplishment. As parents, we'll do what we can. What we've decided to do is let her fail. Groundings don't seem to work, beating her is against the law, failing is the natural consequence of her own actions so, summer school it is, unless she pulls it out of the fire on her finals and if she does that, it's tutoring for the summer in the subjects she barely passed.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-14-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where does the problem start? Kids have had 5 years with their parents before they set foot inside a classroom. During the school years students spend 75% of their waking time outside of school. When you look at the things that determine academic success, most are controlled by parents. For instance, maternal education at the time of birth is a good predictor of how children will fare in school. Schools don't control that, parents do. SES is another good predictor, again, schools don't control that, parents do. Teachers and schools have little control over whether or not kids do their homework or study but parents do.

I don't have any research to support this but I believe that attitude towards education is also a big predictor of success. My kids who try, succeed. The ones who don't, don't. As a teacher, I don't control whether they try or not. Unless students are motivated by grades, I have no power at all (so put your kids into sports...they can't play without a C average...that can be very motivating )

While I think the forray into computer/online learning will be a disaster, I look forward to this experiment because it will show, CLEARLY, that the effort of the student is the biggest predictor of success. It will show, CLEARLY, that those students who don't try fail regardless of whether or not you sit them in a classroom or in front of a computer screen. When all students have the same program and the ability to self pace and we still have students failing they'll, finally, realize that some children are left behind beause they refuse to keep up. (I'm not allowed to say that but it's the truth)

Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It was identified in the subject of this thread.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
I can tell you that at around my sophomore year of HS this is exactly how I felt. I was sick of learning, I couldnt absorb anything at all, and nothing interested me. I had no idea what i wanted to do after high school. It wasnt the teachers or the parents fault. I was just sick of learning. The thrill was gone (so to speak).

Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I can tell you that at around my sophomore year of HS this is exactly how I felt. I was sick of learning, I couldnt absorb anything at all, and nothing interested me. I had no idea what i wanted to do after high school. It wasnt the teachers or the parents fault. I was just sick of learning. The thrill was gone (so to speak).
what thrill? its not supposed to be thrilling. its just something you are supposed to do to help improve your chances of a good life later on.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
It was identified in the subject of this thread.
Here is the OP. I disagree with the identification of the problem, also the thread title. I have never seen such disdain for parents as I do on this forum, also sometimes on P&OC. If this is reflecting the true opinon of teachers, I'm glad my kids aren't in school any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
As a teacher (and parent) it is getting hard to understand why low test scores are blamed on the teachers...where are the parents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education