U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Rural
45 posts, read 92,583 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

As a teacher (and parent) it is getting hard to understand why low test scores are blamed on the teachers...where are the parents!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 AM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Reputation: 15019
While I don't think blaming teachers is a good idea, neither is blaming the parents.

Maybe if parents and teachers worked together as a team, the kids would actually get a decent education. Playing the blame game is fun, but not very productive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 AM
 
Location: Rural
45 posts, read 92,583 times
Reputation: 57
Well as a parent I take FULL responsibility for my children. I make sure they do homework, eat breakfast, and listen in class, or they will get punished at home. It dosen't take money to care about your kids education.

I do not believe teachers need to take ANY responsibility for what parents should be doing.
No blame game..no merit pay...no problem.

Truthfully, this is just a glimse into what society will soon be, uncaring, unaccountable, uneducated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While I don't think blaming teachers is a good idea, neither is blaming the parents.

Maybe if parents and teachers worked together as a team, the kids would actually get a decent education. Playing the blame game is fun, but not very productive.
The single greatest predictor of success is the parents. The question is how much of the parent's contribution is nature (genetics) or nuture (upbringing). I have two kids who are as different as night and day when it comes to academics. I lean towards nature but do think nurture also plays a part, however, I think that peers play a larger part than parents but parents pick children's peers by choosing where to live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 06:02 AM
 
2,726 posts, read 4,363,106 times
Reputation: 1944
I have an acquaintance whose 2 year old already recognizes all ABC letters. She likes to tell me, "blame the parents because my daughter knows her letters."

I don't even mention what my daughter knows but it is not her letters.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 5,941,719 times
Reputation: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I have an acquaintance whose 2 year old already recognizes all ABC letters. She likes to tell me, "blame the parents because my daughter knows her letters."

I don't even mention what my daughter knows but it is not her letters.
This letter/literacy obsession has become fascinating to me, culturally speaking.

If a 2 yo can recognize a monkey and say monkey when shown monkey, why would it be so amazing if they recognized A when shown A?
It only means they have been exposed to A, talked to about A and made to repeat "A", just like they have been exposed to monkey, talked to about monkey and made to repeat monkey.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 06:49 AM
 
608 posts, read 1,148,438 times
Reputation: 463
What teachers are responsible for:

1. Providing a safe structured classroom for students to learn.
2. Make sure that all state standards for what is being taught is met.
3. Identifying to any relevant person anything that may be out of the ordinary with a student (ie. neglect, abuse, etc.)
4. Maintaining accurate records of all my students.

That's it. I will work with parents, but that is not responsibility. Parents and more importantly, THE STUDENT is responsible for everything else!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 AM
 
2,726 posts, read 4,363,106 times
Reputation: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
This letter/literacy obsession has become fascinating to me, culturally speaking.

If a 2 yo can recognize a monkey and say monkey when shown monkey, why would it be so amazing if they recognized A when shown A?
It only means they have been exposed to A, talked to about A and made to repeat "A", just like they have been exposed to monkey, talked to about monkey and made to repeat monkey.
Decided to delete that post.

Some parents like to have a concrete way of comparing their children to others.

Last edited by crisan; 06-12-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Reputation: 28605
This is why the best school performance is in upper income areas. The parents are well educated and want the same for their kids, so they encourage learning and contribute financially and with their time to help.
While their may be some lousy teachers here and there, even the best ones cannot educate kids if the parents don't support the school, and they don't make sure homework is done and help them with it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,550 posts, read 22,709,293 times
Reputation: 7625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
This is why the best school performance is in upper income areas. The parents are well educated and want the same for their kids, so they encourage learning and contribute financially and with their time to help.
While their may be some lousy teachers here and there, even the best ones cannot educate kids if the parents don't support the school, and they don't make sure homework is done and help them with it.

THANK YOU!

It is also why upper income areas spend more per pupil than lower incme schools. MONEY may not be the GREATEST influence, but it sure makes for more resources to benefit the student.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top