U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the reason is simple. The prime objective for schools today is socialization, not education. You are graded largely on your ability to turn in assignments and follow instructions, not on your mastery of the material.

Case in point? We have two different sets of friends with daughters. They both are straight-A students. One has a 4.3 GPA. Yet their ACT scores are 22 and 24, respectively. Okay scores, but certainly inconsistent with what a straight-A student should be making.
Here is my question for your friends:

Did you immediately get on the phone to your child's school and demand an accounting?

Did you say, "Mrs. Principal, my daughter was led to believe by the grading practices of this school that she was not only above average in her abilities, but was in fact outstanding. Nevertheless, her ACT scores are only just above average when compared to a national norm. If we, her parents, had known years ago that her abilities were average, we could have taken reasonable steps to help her -- provided her with tutors, for example, or drilled essential skills in writing or grammar. Instead, the school fed us utterly false information.

"What right do you have as teachers and educators to feed us false information about our child's abilities -- only to let us twist in the wind, finding out about the real state of things years after this information would have been useful?"

"What would your response be, Mrs. Principal, to a doctor who told a patient who tested positive for cancer that everything was fine -- that everything was outstanding, in fact? What would your response be, Mrs. Principal, to a mechanic who looked at a cracked engine block and told the driver that all was well?

"You know what your response would be? What ours will be? Why, Mrs. Principal, we would sue."

Pardon my cynicism, but I'm guessing that your friends probably shrugged and said, "Oh, well, at least they got As." Do forgive my cynicism, and I say with all sincerity that I hope that I am utterly wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,906,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Here is my question for your friends:

Did you immediately get on the phone to your child's school and demand an accounting?

Did you say, "Mrs. Principal, my daughter was led to believe by the grading practices of this school that she was not only above average in her abilities, but was in fact outstanding. Nevertheless, her ACT scores are only just above average when compared to a national norm. If we, her parents, had known years ago that her abilities were average, we could have taken reasonable steps to help her -- provided her with tutors, for example, or drilled essential skills in writing or grammar. Instead, the school fed us utterly false information.

"What right do you have as teachers and educators to feed us false information about our child's abilities -- only to let us twist in the wind, finding out about the real state of things years after this information would have been useful?"

"What would your response be, Mrs. Principal, to a doctor who told a patient who tested positive for cancer that everything was fine -- that everything was outstanding, in fact? What would your response be, Mrs. Principal, to a mechanic who looked at a cracked engine block and told the driver that all was well?

"You know what your response would be? What ours will be? Why, Mrs. Principal, we would sue."

Pardon my cynicism, but I'm guessing that your friends probably shrugged and said, "Oh, well, at least they got As." Do forgive my cynicism, and I say with all sincerity that I hope that I am utterly wrong.
It's all, in the words of Diane Ravitch, institutionalized fraud. I resent being made to be complicit in it in order to be able to stay in the classroom. My own term is educational malpractice. That's what happens when you misrepresent busyness for mastery. People get so caught up in the grades that they lose sight of what the numbers are supposed to represent.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM

138 posts, read 188,120 times
The public wants better education but parents only want to see A's & B's on Johnny's report card. Principals & school boards want happy parents to avoid lawsuits. As the story points out, teachers are being used as scapegoats by administrators and parents.

Good thing we are so focused on closing schools & firing teachers ... cause that's what's "really" going to change education.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
It's all, in the words of Diane Ravitch, institutionalized fraud. I resent being made to be complicit in it in order to be able to stay in the classroom. My own term is educational malpractice. That's what happens when you misrepresent busyness for mastery. People get so caught up in the grades that they lose sight of what the numbers are supposed to represent.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

THIS. A million times THIS.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I love my students but I am no longer teaching. This is part of my decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or