Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 115,189 times

Advertisements

If MERIT PAY is now enacted in Idaho..then why oh why don't they test at the start of the year, and then the end!
How can you really know if the students are doing better!
One test-not the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Btw

BTW I am aware there is NO MONEY for merit pay anyway...just a way to get us to base salary. Thanks LUNA for ruining education in IDAHO!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
If MERIT PAY is now enacted in Idaho..then why oh why don't they test at the start of the year, and then the end!
How can you really know if the students are doing better!
One test-not the best!
What about the students who don't like you who will throw the test? They need to pin passing the class on the test.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What about the students who don't like you who will throw the test? They need to pin passing the class on the test.
That only works if the students care about passing the class. Ask Pythonis about that.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
That only works if the students care about passing the class. Ask Pythonis about that.
True. Maybe we need to give students truth serum before we test them. Now, wouldn't that go over big with the public that wants to crucify teachers.

We, really, can't win here. Testing students just isn't a good measure of how well we teach. I would much rather you simply come into my room on random occaisions and watch me teach. Judge what *I* do not what my students do. I don't control what they do.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM

So true IVORYTICKLER

Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
For some students, gains are not made in a year...growth is incremental, but nonetheless, learning is achieved...I have always wondered where they would put SPED teachers, especially those working with Severely Multiply Disabled, and Most Severe on that whole test spectrum...do we just get cut out? I left before that was ever really discussed much. (Yea!)

Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My son taught 2 years in a packing house town. For those not making the connection, this means having 1/2 the school or more being recent immigrants (and yes, some illegal).

To grade a teacher in this environment using anything other than a test at the beginning of the year and the end of the year to determine merit pay would be ludicrous. AND, you had better base the student's final test on them passing the course or many of these students will blow the final test just to "get" their teacher.

In one of the most profound comments my son made teaching at this school, he mentioned how happy he was that he caught a couple of the students cheating. Until that happened, he didn't think they cared at all about their grades.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 PM

20 posts, read 40,184 times
Jennifer5521: I am a N. Idaho teacher - in full agreement. I teach at a tiny high school with a graduating class of just twenty. Each class is so small that it has a character all to itself. Last year 94% of my students passed the science Isats, this year just 67%. But all of this years students improved over their 7th grade scores. Good? Bad? Certainly not ideal. But basing my pay on either - without other factors - would be mistaken.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM

Furthermore...If I prepare my class for the next year so well that they pass the entry exam to the next grade, the next years teacher gets all the merit pay .

So we all know where this is going...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education