U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM

973 posts, read 1,801,096 times

Advertisements

Our elementary school is about 4 years old. A new one is being built real close, as our school has 8 classes of each grade, ie 8 1st grade classes, etc. We have alot of kids here. lol Our middle school is nice looking & I was kinda in awe of it. lol It opened in 2008, I believe. There is a new high school that's set to built in our neighborhood by the time my kids get to HS. Elementary is 1/10th of a mile away from the house, the middle & future high school will be about a 1/2 mile.

They are all nice, but most look similar. The new ones anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM

9,483 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I also think it is interesting to compare schools in the same district, the wealthy side of town, compared with the poorer side of town..any one who says that the money is distributed evenly is crazy.

What does your school look like?
Our district has over 200 schools.
The elementary my kids attended has basement classrooms that can't be used after a hard rain because of flooding. The high school, which also houses a magnet program that attracts some of the brightest students in the city, is so dilapidated it has ceiling tiles falling down on the students, and is so overcrowded that an old elementary building that was used for storage for years has been reopened to use for extra classroom space.
Meanwhile other, newer schools have been torn down and replaced. There are also some very pretty, shiny new schools in some of the poorer neighborhoods.
I have the impression that the location of our new schools doesn't depend on which part of town is wealthier, but has a lot more to do with the corruption of certain government officials and the contractors they're in bed with.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,587,648 times
That is not an issue of money. I worked in one of the poorest school in my state (based on student wealth), and it was beautiful. Just an average old school to begin with, but the PTA moms put a lot of time into planting a beautiful garden, the art teacher painted murals on the walls of the trailers, the kids painted picnic tables in bright colors and put them outside around the school, and so on. Some teachers wrote and got grants to help purchase some things for the playground area, and they all kept the walls outside their classrooms attractively decorated with student work (taken down and changed regularly). Some of the more artistic teachers painted their old furniture, and everyone worked hard to decorate the classrooms nicely (mostly with student work). It does not cost a lot of money to make even the worst school look nice - it's a matter of administrative policy, teacher commitment, and parental involvement. Sounds like the school you visited had poor administration, unhappy teachers, and little if any parental involvement. But none of these cost money.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:03 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Our district has mainly pretty new schools. They are fairly sterile, in my opinion. They are also very large. Some of the schools are so overcrowded that they had to add portable classrooms. This is because the population is growing so fast here. There are a couple of schools still in use from the original founding of the district in 1937, but I don't know what the condition of the buildings are. My granddaughter's school opened in 2006. The building is fine, and it will be taking in kids from a couple of the overcrowded schools through redistricting as of next year.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:07 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
\

So the performance in most of these inner city schools is so poor because they don't have shiny-new buildings, is that the gist of your rant????

Face facts, some parents and students do not give a rats *ss about learning. All the new, fru-fru furniture and buildings are not going to change that one bit.
No, that is not my "position" or rant. I was just commenting on how the school I went to, an inner city school, mostly African American students, looks like a prison. And I think it is sad.

Maybe this is why schools should be managed federally, so that all schools would be more uniform, because this was depressing.

I think that the problem of student performance is more complex than just adding a new building...but certianly the infra-structure of some schools does need to be reviewed, especially in less affluent areas in the south.

Why build new schools in other countries, when our own schools need money?

I taught for over 20 years, and would have never worked in this school, even if offered a job there. It was dirty, old, bad equipment, Just some yellow or blue paint would be a start at making that school look better, and less like a jail.

I don't know if it is an administration issue, or a poverty issue or what...I worked in many schools, as an itinerant, center based, and finally, consultant, and saw few schools as bad as this one in my career.

Last edited by jasper12; 06-16-2011 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,833,124 times
The high school I went to was very grim looking, like an old bunker. No amount of glitter and flowers could make it pretty, but I saw when passing it by for the first time in a few years that they built a newer school in its place with much more space and modern design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or