U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,586,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
One of the other things that I wanted to add. I am a parent of kids in FL where the state tests are overly emphasized. When my kids were small I had to work really hard at home to de-emphasize what was going on in school. In FL kids must pass the test to be promoted to 4th grade. My kids were never in danger of not passing the test. There was no benefit to my kids to scoring higher than a passing grade.

Why would they make themselves crazy to do well on these tests? Why should they? To make some teacher look better? The teachers make the kids crazy because THEY benefit from the kids scoring higher. I am not going to allow my kids to be pressured so some adult can benefit from his suffering so I am one of those parents who say "I really don't care what they score on the FCAT."

This craziness is the reason that I took my kids out of the public school system. As a teacher I understand why teachers put all the pressure on the kids. But as a parent I need to protect my kids from that sort of abuse.
Don't accuse teachers of abuse because they pressure kids about the tests. The tests are not the teachers' idea. Administrators pressure teachers to do well on the tests. Teachers can be punished if they do not. Administrators, likewise, are pressured by their bosses and so on up the ladder all the way to the very top of the government, where voters pressure politicians (and so in the end it comes back to all of us). Teachers are the very last rung in that ladder. Your accusation of abuse is unfair and unjustified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM

22,670 posts, read 28,551,950 times
they should try to do well on the test so that they can compare themselves to other students and try to do better than other students. but i would say the tests should have a greater impact on students moving to the next grade. i believe in new york kids take standard tests for each class and if they dont pass, they dont pass the class.

everything should come down to standardized tests. that is how you can demonstrate you learned what you are supposed to learn and you can compare yourself to everyone else because everyone takes the same test.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM

3,777 posts, read 7,163,842 times
I taught at a private elementary/middle school that gave standardized exams but did not put a lot of pressure on the kids to score high. Most of the kids did their best anyway.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Don't accuse teachers of abuse because they pressure kids about the tests. The tests are not the teachers' idea. Administrators pressure teachers to do well on the tests. Teachers can be punished if they do not. Administrators, likewise, are pressured by their bosses and so on up the ladder all the way to the very top of the government, where voters pressure politicians (and so in the end it comes back to all of us). Teachers are the very last rung in that ladder. Your accusation of abuse is unfair and unjustified.
It is abuse regardless of how it comes about.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
It was always my understanding that performance on these tests was used to indicate whether or not a child belonged in an advanced or gifted class, no?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It was always my understanding that performance on these tests was used to indicate whether or not a child belonged in an advanced or gifted class, no?
No. Neither of my dd's scores were used.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM

8,388 posts, read 8,096,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
I think I just realized something...what is the motivation to even pass a standardized test?

I have actually had many parents of my students tell me..

OH I don't really care how my child does on "THAT TEST". "THAT TEST" is only for the schools to get money...that score doesn't count toward anything...

You know what...they are 100% right! What is the motivation to pass that test for the student? I don't actually see one. The scores do not count toward a final grade, they don't really see the scores for a year after...I mean really...no wonder the kids don't do well...why should they even care?

I can only speak for Texas on this topic.

Here, students MUST pass a standardized test in order to graduate from a public high school. They take the test as juniors in order to give them another chance in case of failure. Students failing it as juniors acn retake it twice during thei senior year. It covers all of the core subjects: English math, science, and social studies. It's a very easy minimum standards test. We get a passing rate of about 95% each year.

Texas HS sophomores have to take a very similar test, but there are no consequences for low scores. Well, none for the students, anyway. And the passing rate is accordingly much lower; about 75%.

In their infinite wisdom, the Texas Education Agency ignores the results of the junior-level test and rates schools and districts on the sophomore level results.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM

45 posts, read 92,583 times
Interesting responses! I know that from my experience in Elementary School (Idaho), the tests are not used for anything except for the schools to be tracked.

I guess then I don't understand why a 7 year old should care to even do well on such a difficult test (or even sit still that long) , and why they should even be expected to.

I do believe there should be some sort of monitoring process however we have to test at the start of the year, then test at the end of the year, track the progress and GRADE THE SCORE so the child is held accountable!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 PM

852 posts, read 3,174,250 times
My son scored slightly below average on the ELA part of our state's 3rd grade state exam as well as on the 4th grade exam. He was one of the few kids to score this way, and he never got any extra help, and it never effected him at all.

This made me realize that the tests at the elementary level are more for the schools than the kids.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM

541 posts, read 796,887 times
I live in Texas and though I'm not a teacher, my mother works at a school in the school district I went to. Teachers don't like giving the test because it really doesn't do anything for the students. It adds a lot of pressure on the teacher to make sure their students perform well on the tests just so the school district might get an extra bit of money and or recognizition.

You can take a look at it from this perspective. You're in high school, you pass the standardized test, and you graduate school. Once you're done, the information you learned will be forgotten because it's not going to be used in the work place. Plus to add insult, the school district you went to could care less what happens to you once you do pass the test and graduate.

So that raises the question of what's the point of the standarized test then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or