Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,796,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
So that raises the question of what's the point of the standarized test then?
AYP, NCLB and federal $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,921,533 times
The tests are used to compare school districts.

We tried something new this year~tying the 11th grade test results to their senior privileges for the following year (off campus lunch, late in or early dismissal on activity days, open study hall, parking passes). Students had to maintain or perform better than they did in the 8th grade to receive so many "points". "Points" will also be added to their bank for their attendance, behavior, participation in school activities, community service. It seems like we are rewarding them for what they should be doing~but it did make a HUGE difference in how well our students did on the most recent tests.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,568,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is abuse regardless of how it comes about.
Pressuring children to learn something is not abuse by any definition. There is plenty of abuse that goes in the schools, but that's not it. If you are worried about abuse, be more concerned about teachers screaming at small children, intimidating and humiliating them, refusing to let them use the bathroom, and so on.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Pressuring children to learn something is not abuse by any definition. There is plenty of abuse that goes in the schools, but that's not it. If you are worried about abuse, be more concerned about teachers screaming at small children, intimidating and humiliating them, refusing to let them use the bathroom, and so on.
In the schools here there is so much pressure on the kids to do better on these tests that kids are getting sick from it. I would say that any time a third grader vomits from the pressure placed on them by adults it is abuse.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,102,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
I think I just realized something...what is the motivation to even pass a standardized test?

I have actually had many parents of my students tell me..

OH I don't really care how my child does on "THAT TEST". "THAT TEST" is only for the schools to get money...that score doesn't count toward anything...

You know what...they are 100% right! What is the motivation to pass that test for the student? I don't actually see one. The scores do not count toward a final grade, they don't really see the scores for a year after...I mean really...no wonder the kids don't do well...why should they even care?

This question has existed since the dawn of Standardized Testing....it will also get you fired quicker that being photographed at your 2nd job at Hooters....

We tell the kids it is for college, scholarships (ROFLMA) and self-esteem...when the truth is those who can pass will, those who do not care---well we all know where that is going...

What was wrong with the IOWA test anyways??

Old 06-18-2011, 10:42 AM

548 posts, read 1,212,743 times
I agree that standardized tests are often over-emphasized, but they are valuable both for the school and the child. As a parent of a student who goes to that school, I am guessing that you would want to know how well your child's school is doing compared to other schools in your area (and nation-wide). Also, the more practice that your young child has now in learning how to study for and sit through standardized tests, the more likely they will learn the skills necessary to do well in the standardized tests that really matter for them later (SAT, ACT, GMAT, LSAT, etc.)

Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,396,616 times
Our school does not emphasize the state tests too much but the overwhelming majority of the students pass at a high level. The upcoming grads will have to pass the state tests in order to graduate, but for now they just take them because they have to. The problem with the state tests in HS is that they take time away from teaching the classes that have to do with AP tests - and their future.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,431,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
The tests are used to compare school districts.

We tried something new this year~tying the 11th grade test results to their senior privileges for the following year (off campus lunch, late in or early dismissal on activity days, open study hall, parking passes). Students had to maintain or perform better than they did in the 8th grade to receive so many "points". "Points" will also be added to their bank for their attendance, behavior, participation in school activities, community service. It seems like we are rewarding them for what they should be doing~but it did make a HUGE difference in how well our students did on the most recent tests.
You have to find a way to make the tests matter to the students. While it is rewarding them for doing what should be doing, without rewards, they won't do it and the school gets punished. Students don't care if their school looks bad. In fact, they consider the ability to make it look bad empowering.

The charter school I worked for resorted to bribes as well. You need something to make the tests matter to the student.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:35 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,675,074 times
Just a thought. I would judge the performance of a school by how many students WANT to perform well on a test. Really, what school ought to be imparting, more than anything else, is an enthusiasm to learn and to do well at logical and academic thinking, and be proud of their accomplishments and ability to display it.

Show me a school in which a high number of students have no motivation to turn in a good paper, and I'll show you a school that is failing it's mandate to educate.

Even if every student fails, the school passes if every student wants to do well and show how well he is doing.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,396,616 times
How many people would choose to do their work without pay? Why do we think that students would welcome yet another test that is not interesting and benefits them not a whit? I think a carrot or a stick has to be involved to make standardized testing have any value for the students. My newly minted HS graduate took at least one test every two weeks, much more then I ever did in HS.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education